Fall 2016 School Psychology

SAL33

On 2/8/2016 at 2:46 PM, Doubles89 said:

I have to say I'm new to this board and with reading everyone's responses I am really suprised by the number of schools people applied to? Is this the norm, because I only applied to two Ed.S. programs. I see alot of people interviewing at temple are you all local, or are you flying there? Just wondering?

I think it varies greatly between people. Some of the people I interviewed with had only applied to 2 programs, some had applied to more. It seemed that me at 8 programs was the most out of anyone. My guess is that 3-4 is average for this field. I would have probably only applied to 3 had I not been rejected from a late application last March I thought would have been approved. That kind of put me in overdrive mode because I really didn't want anotbed year to go by without being in school. I think 5-6 is what people should apply for and then if you have any thing about your resume that you are insecure over (gre scores, interview skills, low gpa, major outside psychology, etc...) then that number should go up.  

19 hours ago, neonossuary said:

Is it normal to not hear from any schools at this point? :unsure: I've only applied to Masters/EdS programs. 

It depends when your program deadlines were and how many programs you applied to. Most schools in my area (the Midwest...MN, WI, ND) all seemed to have March 1st as the unsaid standard as far as when interviews would be completed by. Some programs called me a week before the interview, so it being Feb. 10th I would say within the next week if you don't hear anything maybe start to wonder about those programs with January deadlines. Out of the 8 I applied to all with Jan deadlines, only 2 of those I have not yet heard anything from - Milwaukee and Lacrosse. I think Milwaukee already had interviews though and Lacrosse. - well let's just say their writing sample requirement I submitted may not have been my best work. 

1 hour ago, S J said:

Has anyone heard back post-interview from Northeastern or University of Maryland (for their PhD programs in school psychology)? Thanks!

I interviewed at Maryland and haven't heard anything back yet either. 

On February 11, 2016 at 0:35 PM, Fluffy-Bear said:

Congratulations to all those already accepted! 

B)

Has anyone heard from UBC for the Master's? 

Yeah, they contacted me on Wednesday to schedule an interview. Any news for you yet? 

Has anyone heard from UW post-interview? Not sure I actually want to know the answer to this...ignorance really is bliss in these anxious times! ?

4 hours ago, morningcup said:

Yeah, they contacted me on Wednesday to schedule an interview. Any news for you yet? 

Has anyone heard from UW post-interview? Not sure I actually want to know the answer to this...ignorance really is bliss in these anxious times! ?

Well done! And not yet :( I'm international as well, and it's making me nervous a little. Could you PM me your POI etc, please? :) would really appreciate it!

15 minutes ago, kingslayer said:

Just heard back from the college I thought I did really well at.

Wait-listed. I'm so sad.

you never know, you still have a chance to get accepted so stay positive! I still havent heard back from three schools and Im starting to get a bad feeling :(

54 minutes ago, ohhappyday said:

you never know, you still have a chance to get accepted so stay positive! I still havent heard back from three schools and Im starting to get a bad feeling :(

I really need to be accepted, but also accepted with in-state tuition. Like even if I had no funding at all, I'd still go wherever they offered me in-state. I'm starting to wonder if I should even go anywhere at all. I don't want to end up in a lot of debt and now I'm super scared ughhhh.

59 minutes ago, kingslayer said:

I really need to be accepted, but also accepted with in-state tuition. Like even if I had no funding at all, I'd still go wherever they offered me in-state. I'm starting to wonder if I should even go anywhere at all. I don't want to end up in a lot of debt and now I'm super scared ughhhh.

Obviously paying in-state tuition is the best case scenario, but I'm pretty sure in most states you can establish residency after one year, so that second year you would hopefully be paying the in-state rate. Out of state tuition is usually double the rate of an in state resident, which means the out of state programs would be about 33% more altogether. So instead of paying $30,000 you'd be paying $40,000 (plus cost of living) - expensive yes, but not too much more.

Then there are things you may be able to do to make that first year cheaper, like enrolling in less credits for the first 12 months. Or you could save money through things like working twice the amount you normally would have during a summer break, living cheaper than you would have during your paid internship year or even first year of employment to put more money towards student loans, working more between now and then, etc...So that $10,000 extra you're spending can be made up in other ways.

I would have honestly still attended an out of state program if I needed to and would have done a combination of the above...if of course they'd give me both degrees, had good employment/internship placement, and the cost per credit of in state students was below, or very close to, $500. 

Also some states have weird residency rules for the purposes of tuition, so you may want to look into the state statutes of the program you are thinking of or talk with their financial aid office to see if you may qualify for something funky. Like for me, I was planning on paying around $50 more per credit through Minnesota's reciprocity with Wisconsin for the first 12 months until I found it unnecessary because I was already considered a resident under Wisconsin law, since I graduated school 10 years ago there and my parents were current residents. So some weird law I happened to fit in gave me a discount.

Has anyone here applied to Rider University? I keep getting emails from them telling me to schedule an interview, so I've called 3 times now and nobody has been able to give me a date. They keep saying that I should "try calling next week" but it's already been more than 2 weeks since I got the first email. It seems odd to me because every other program gave me dates in their original email...

So I’ve officially applied to all my graduate programs! So far I’ve been invited to two in person interviews which are this weekend. eek. I am still waiting for ANY correspondence from the other three schools I applied to. Originally I wasn’t anxious too hear back from anywhere, it just happened. But now that I have completed and submitted all my applications I just want to hear back! Anybody else just repeatedly checking their emails like a mad man?? 

4 hours ago, lbranson said:

So I’ve officially applied to all my graduate programs! So far I’ve been invited to two in person interviews which are this weekend. eek. I am still waiting for ANY correspondence from the other three schools I applied to. Originally I wasn’t anxious too hear back from anywhere, it just happened. But now that I have completed and submitted all my applications I just want to hear back! Anybody else just repeatedly checking their emails like a mad man?? 

Yeah I was the same way figured I'd only apply two places and if I get in great if not I know I already have a decent full time job in a school as a social worker that I'd just keep working. Then I get the invite to interview and the excitement starts to build and it quickly feels more real.

5 hours ago, lbranson said:

Yes! I'm starting to get really anxious because of the 5 schools I applied to, I got one rejection, one wait list, one decision pending post-interview, one interview coming up, and no contact from one but I'm pretty sure it's a rejection. 

How has everyone been dealing with the wait? 

My method- constantly checking emails and the grad cafes "search" feature- can't be healthy!

Got my first rejection!!! Indiana University Bloomington. Expected it--it was my first interview and I really had no idea what I was doing, I'm fat, and I'm an air head. My third interview will also be a rejection and I am coming to terms with this.

Also, I have two interviews tomorrow and I am not prepared at ALL. I'm so tired. Probably should have done what my friends did and waited until I was out of college before applying to grad school.

Edited by kingslayer

On 1/5/2016 at 2:07 PM, highborn said:

@kingslayer

Im sorry to hear about your rejection. I have also gotten two rejections so far.But that's why we apply to multiple schools. I am out of school and I am really tired as well. Just push through these last ones. Getting interviews is a great sign and you only need one school to attend. You got this!!