Fall 2016 School Psychology

SAL33

Hi everyone!

Do you know of anyone who has gotten into an EdS program with a lower GRE score? Is there anything I can do right now that will help my application? I can't redo the exam until next year, so I'm stuck with the scores.

Please don't give me false modesty--if you got a 50th and above, you did better than I did. I got 301 combined so now I'm in panic mode. I have a good GPA, good letters, and a good SOP, but it's just the GRE score. I'm sort of freaking out because maybe I should have took the easy way out and gone into social work (no GRE required) rather than push myself to do what I really want.

I got accepted to one of the programs, the others I don't find out until March. This program was more of a backup to the others, which i'm more interested in. Regardless, it's a relief knowing I'll be going to school someplace this Fall! Oh, by the way, to follow up on my last post, if anyone read it that is ha, I got a 710 on my subject test GRE (80th percentile). I feel like my chances of getting into one of the other programs is decent. 

On 12/10/2015 at 3:33 AM, highborn said:

Hi everyone!

Do you know of anyone who has gotten into an EdS program with a lower GRE score? Is there anything I can do right now that will help my application? I can't redo the exam until next year, so I'm stuck with the scores.

Please don't give me false modesty--if you got a 50th and above, you did better than I did. I got 301 combined so now I'm in panic mode. I have a good GPA, good letters, and a good SOP, but it's just the GRE score. I'm sort of freaking out because maybe I should have took the easy way out and gone into social work (no GRE required) rather than push myself to do what I really want.

I feel like you'll be okay with your GPA, depending on how many programs and where you applied to. Some EdS programs are just as difficult to get into as some PHD programs (University of Minnesota, for instance), where some EdS programs are a lot easier to get into. I know from one of the places I applied to a 302 GRE was the average score of the admitted applicants. That was the only program of the 8 I applied to that posted any admission statistics. I think you'll be okay, but if you only have 3 or 4 applications out, you may want to submit a few more just in case. 

46 minutes ago, westy3789 said:

I feel like you'll be okay with your GPA, depending on how many programs and where you applied to. Some EdS programs are just as difficult to get into as some PHD programs (University of Minnesota, for instance), where some EdS programs are a lot easier to get into. I know from one of the places I applied to a 302 GRE was the average score of the admitted applicants. That was the only program of the 8 I applied to that posted any admission statistics. I think you'll be okay, but if you only have 3 or 4 applications out, you may want to submit a few more just in case. 

If you don't mind me asking, which school did you apply to with the 302 GRE score? I applied to only 15 colleges and if I can afford it somehow, I'd like to get to at least 17.

1 hour ago, westy3789 said:

I got accepted to one of the programs, the others I don't find out until March. This program was more of a backup to the others, which i'm more interested in. Regardless, it's a relief knowing I'll be going to school someplace this Fall! Oh, by the way, to follow up on my last post, if anyone read it that is ha, I got a 710 on my subject test GRE (80th percentile). I feel like my chances of getting into one of the other programs is decent. 

Congrats! Super jells

16 hours ago, westy3789 said:

I'd rather not say, considering it's my top choice and my low GPA will probably mean I'm on the brink of being rejected already. But, with 15 program applications (I'm assuming all EdS), seriously, you'll be fine. By the way, I see you're from LA. From what I've heard, school psychology in California is a lot different than many other states. Namely, the lower number of vacancies and the overwhelming caseloads. This is based off of a few forums I've read, where I've noticed a trend with California school psychologists who seem to do the most complaining of their profession. It probably doesn't matter too much where you go for school, but more so where you end up, since most of the states have similar licensing standards, though maybe you ought to look into an adjacent state that gives you tuition reciprocity with California for a chance to be in a better public education system. Just my .02

That's no problem! Though if you're applying to a school with the initials LC in them, I didn't apply. Good luck!

And thank you! Yeah, it's also super competitive here because people are California dreamin'. I've lived here all my life so I'm basically done.

But I don't see why you're worried at all! You have above a 3.0, you actually have experience working with people who have special needs, you are a veteran, your GRE scores are great, and if you're a man you can get that glass escalator up. I only applied to so many schools because I'm genuinely scared I'm going to get in anywhere. I thought I wrote an amazing personal statement, but now I hate it and I have no idea what my recommenders said.

5 hours ago, highborn said:

That's no problem! Though if you're applying to a school with the initials LC in them, I didn't apply. Good luck!

And thank you! Yeah, it's also super competitive here because people are California dreamin'. I've lived here all my life so I'm basically done.

But I don't see why you're worried at all! You have above a 3.0, you actually have experience working with people who have special needs, you are a veteran, your GRE scores are great, and if you're a man you can get that glass escalator up. I only applied to so many schools because I'm genuinely scared I'm going to get in anywhere. I thought I wrote an amazing personal statement, but now I hate it and I have no idea what my recommenders said.

Edited by westy3789

Cross-posting this from the interview thread, just to see if folks here would have any thoughts. My SO received an interview invitation from UConn's 3 year MA/Sixth-year program, which she's excited about. I'm hoping that the interview goes well (will be in about 6-7 weeks). I'm impressed that they've made it through a decent number of applications already, especially if anyone on the admissions committee is teaching this semester, since it's currently finals time. We haven't been able to find much information about the percentage of acceptance based on interviews.

My GRE was lower than yours, and I've received an interview invite for a PhD program. I was extremely upset for months while applying to graduate schools, because I lost a lot of hope due to my GRE. Eventually I decided to just focus on the positive aspects of my application. I was in three research labs: cognitive psychology, behavioral neuroscience, and social psychology. 1 publication, 2 posters, 1 clinical internship, community service project for disadvantaged students with ASD, volunteer at a shelter, 3.8 gpa, and my letters of recommendation were great. 1 from department chair/professor (cognitive psychology lab) and 2 from my other research professors. The overemphasis on GRE, especially if you don't get 90th percentile, can really bring you down. But I'm sure you'll do great. There's more to your application!!

On 12/10/2015 at 4:33 AM, highborn said:

Hi everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question. I'm currently in the process of applying to Lewis and Clark's School Psychology ED.S program and was wondering if anyone knew if when applying to schools if they are strict on their personal statement word length limit. For example Lewis and Clark's suggested limit is 500 words and i'm having a really hard time editing it down. 

Thanks in advance. And believe i know this is such a small question but its really been slowing me down its the last thing i need to do. 

On 12/31/2015 at 1:01 AM, Rebeca Ponce said:

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question. I'm currently in the process of applying to Lewis and Clark's School Psychology ED.S program and was wondering if anyone knew if when applying to schools if they are strict on their personal statement word length limit. For example Lewis and Clark's suggested limit is 500 words and i'm having a really hard time editing it down. 

Thanks in advance. And believe i know this is such a small question but its really been slowing me down its the last thing i need to do. 

You may get quicker/better answers in a general thread on letters of intent (search homepage). This one isn't as active, but to answer your question, if a program mentions a limit of 500 words, I believe that's something important to pay attention to. By going over, you are failing to follow instructions and you don't want to give off that impression. Now if it's 550 words, I think that's okay, but if it's significantly over, like 750 words, then I feel like you ought to find a way to get it under their suggested limit. 

Hey guys, how are you all holding up? Are all of your applications in? What are you doing to distract yourself? I keep checking the survey page and freaking out. One of my colleges has a Feb 1. rejection/acceptance date; in less than a month, it could be over.

Hey guys, glad I found this forum!

Is anyone applying or applied to the school psychology program at George Mason?

I called them today asking about my application and they told me they are not accepting applications

for the fall 2016 for the school psychology concentration. I had argued about how nothing of that sort

was mentioned online and I had paid a good 100$ for transcripts, gre scores, and application fees.

Can anyone confirm this?  THANKS :)

If you applied to Indiana University Bloomington, please PM me! I could have sworn that the online application application was due by Dec 1st but all supporting materials were due by Jan 1. Pretty sure my application won't be looked at because my GRE scores didn't get in until Dec 30. Blah

On 1/5/2016 at 4:07 PM, highborn said:

Hey guys, how are you all holding up? Are all of your applications in? What are you doing to distract yourself? I keep checking the survey page and freaking out. One of my colleges has a Feb 1. rejection/acceptance date; in less than a month, it could be over.

I'm pretty much just working my ass off at work trying to earn as much money as possible before the semester begins in September. I've been out of school for 4 years and I still have about $8,000 in undergraduate loans. I don't understand how some people are comfortable taking out $60,000+ in student loans to become a school psychologist, but yeah that's not happening with me so I'm working 80 hours/week saving up money. 

7 hours ago, westy3789 said:

I'm pretty much just working my ass off at work trying to earn as much money as possible before the semester begins in September. I've been out of school for 4 years and I still have about $8,000 in undergraduate loans. I don't understand how some people are comfortable taking out $60,000+ in student loans to become a school psychologist, but yeah that's not happening with me so I'm working 80 hours/week saving up money. 

Hahah I've pretty much resigned myself to being poor forever. I'd rather be broke but have a career that I look forward to every day rather than be safe financially but have a job that makes me regret waking up. Going to take out a bunch of loans, give an arm and a leg, ect. Plus I have loans from undergrad... blah

Have you guys been getting emails confirming that your application has been received?

Got two today. In the first one, she didn't blind copy it to everyone so we all have each other's email addresses. Googled a couple of other applicants and now I know for sure I won't get in. /scared For the second, I got an email from one of the grad students letting me know that my application was received. They accidentally forgot to replace the placeholders in the footer with their name and email address, so it was sent to me like "Your Name / email address." This actually made me feel a lot better because my PS has at least one typo (not brave enough to check). I need to know that everyone makes mistakes so that way I can feel better about mine. I need to know we're all humans, we're not infallible, we're all doing out best.

Edited by highborn

12 hours ago, westy3789 said:

You make me laugh, you need to just R-E-L-A-X. You'll be okay. Focus more on your choices now that will make life easier for you when you begin school (saving up extra money, for instance). You don't want to get yourself in a situation where you either have to work 30+ hours/week in grad school to pay for cost of living or having to pay for 100% cost of living expenses through student loans....because then instead of paying just $30,000 in program costs you're paying an additional $20,000 in living expenses. Add to that the $40,000 average undergraduate debt and there's a lot of people that are going to be graduating with $90,000 in debt! That's insane! Be smart.

You also said you applied for 15 programs. I doubt all of those are within your home state, so that must mean you feel comfortable paying out of state tuition to go to a program. Instead of paying $30,000 for in-state tuition you may be paying $45,000. So let's say you have $45,000 in graduate program costs, $20,000 in living expenses, and a conservative estimate of $20,000 in undergraduate loans. That's $85,000. Your student loan payments are at the minimum going to be around $550/month when you graduate, for 25 years (or a lot higher than that if you want to pay them off quicker). Let's say you make $55,000 right out of graduate school, which is on the high end. After 25% taxes that's $3,437/month. So now you're making $2,887/month after your student loans are paid. Right now I live off of $2,300/month and I can tell you that does NOT go very far. I can imagine a $2,887/month budget and you are going to be living pay check to pay check. It's not going to feel like much of a career, trust me. 

Out of the 9 programs I applied for, 8 of them would give me in state tuition or tuition reciprocity. The only other program I applied for was simply as a backup and I didn't have to pay anything to apply for it since I was a veteran and they waved all the fees, otherwise I wouldn't have even considered it. Of those 8, 6 of them are the next state over (which will end up costing me an extra $7,000 or so in program costs) - so I am hoping I can get into one of the 2 programs in my home state, that'll cost me about $27,000 in program costs and about $10,000 in living expenses. I've worked my ass off trying to pay off my debt and I STILL will be graduating with $45,000 in student loans when everything is said and done. 

I agree that having a career is the most important thing, but you shouldn't use that as an excuse to mop around and work part-time or just 40 hours/week. Work as much as you can and earn as much as you can now and whatever you end up having to take out in the end, then so be it. I'm not trying to be mean or anything (I was terrible managing my money when I graduated college), but if someone were to have broken it down like that for me, it may have encouraged me to think of things a little differently and saved me money. 

Thank you!

Hope you guys have gotten your applications in! Hopefully we'll start getting notifications soon. Everything on the survey page seems to be for PhD applicants.

May the odds be ever in our favor, may the force be with us, ect. ect.

*also, should we make a google spreadsheet or something for funding/dates/ect?

Edited by highborn

Hi, everyone! 

I'm so glad I found this thread! The application deadline for 3 of the Ed.S programs I applied to end tonight! It's been so difficult just waiting around for their decision. :unsure: 

Then, another program I applied to that had a Dec 15th deadline, has already contacted me for an interview! Except, I have no idea if I should be excited or confused because my GRE scores were not their required minimum (I still applied anyways). Has this ever happened to anyone? 

On 1/15/2016 at 2:36 PM, Limitless said:

Hi, everyone! 

I'm so glad I found this thread! The application deadline for 3 of the Ed.S programs I applied to end tonight! It's been so difficult just waiting around for their decision. :unsure: 

Then, another program I applied to that had a Dec 15th deadline, has already contacted me for an interview! Except, I have no idea if I should be excited or confused because my GRE scores were not their required minimum (I still applied anyways). Has this ever happened to anyone? 

A bunch of my colleges also had Jan 15 deadlines! I feel like these next few weeks are going to be brutal. My first acceptance or rejection is on Feb 1, so it'll pretty much set the tone for the entire cycle for me.

Also, congrats! It could be that some other factor caused them to waive it for you. I think the actual departments can set their own standards, just as long as your scores are at or above the grad school's minimum. Did it actually say that it HAD to pass a certain point, or did it say something like "competitive applicants have at least 50th percentile"?

I wish this forum was more active like it has been in the past years!

Hows is everyone doing? I've submitted my applications to 5 different places and am waiting.

Has anyone received an invitation for an interview for a masters/cert program?