Fall 2016 School Psychology

SAL33

• 2 weeks later...

I'm facepalming so hard right now.

I was going to interview with a program in the midwest, but I didn't because it was so late into the process and I already have offers from so many other colleges. Got an email from admin asking me and one other girl to a phone interview.

This poor girl thought she interviewed with me, and so she sent me an email like "Dear Dr. Kingslayer, Thank you so much for the phone interview" ect ect. I'm not a faculty member--I'm not listed on the website.

Her thank you letter was really good---so good that I googled it and she literally copy and pasted it from a website (changing things like "public health" to "school psychology"). I just can't right now--i want to hug her and say "you're applying to graduate school, don't plagiarize something as simple as a thank you letter."

She didn't even bother to change the fonts so that it would be matching. The "Dear Dr. Kingslayer," part was in times new roman 12 and the copy/pasted letter was in tahoma or something. I can't

Edited by kingslayer

34 minutes ago, kingslayer said:

I'm facepalming so hard right now.

I was going to interview with a program in the midwest, but I didn't because it was so late into the process and I already have offers from so many other colleges. Got an email from admin asking me and one other girl to a phone interview.

This poor girl thought she interviewed with me, and so she sent me an email like "Dear Dr. Kingslayer, Thank you so much for the phone interview" ect ect. I'm not a faculty member--I'm not listed on the website.

Her thank you letter was really good---so good that I googled it and she literally copy and pasted it from a website (changing things like "public health" to "school psychology"). I just can't right now--i want to hug her and say "you're applying to graduate school, don't plagiarize something as simple as a thank you letter."

She didn't even bother to change the fonts so that it would be matching. The "Dear Dr. Kingslayer," part was in times new roman 12 and the copy/pasted letter was in tahoma or something. I can't

wowwwww

Hi everyone, if anyone applied to Fordham's PhD program in school psychology, I would love to hear your thoughts. It would be great if you could message me. Thank you!

@lwqsr3211 I definetly think so too. I haven't been able to find one that has anymore information. I found that link because a university had it on their facebook page. 

You could look at US News and World Report's rankings. The only problem with the lists is some school psychology programs are in psychology departments, and others are in educational psych or other departments. I know MSU's School Psychology program is within Educational Psych (College of Education- Department of Counseling, Ed Psych and Special Ed), I'm not sure about Florida. It might give you an idea of how they compare to other programs though. 

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-education-schools/education-psychology-rankings?int=a11808&int=a06908

Hey guys,

Despite doubting myself and hoping to get at least one acceptance I got accepted to all 3 programs I applied to :) I am in SoCal and wanted to stay local for Grad School. I applied to Loyola Marymount University, California State University Long Beach, and California State University Los Angeles. I have narrowed it down to LMU and CSULB. But I don't know where to go. LMU is closer to home but almost double the price :o Long Beach is about a 45 min commute but I don't know if the program ranks up with LMU, it may be better, but I don't really know. Anybody know anything about these programs? Any opinions. Any suggestions? Where can I find the rankings of these schools? I know both are regarded as good programs in SoCal. Help please April 15th is upon us.

Edited by tania5493

12 minutes ago, tania5493 said:

Hey guys,

Despite doubting myself and hoping to get at least one acceptance I got accepted to all 3 programs I applied to :) I am in SoCal and wanted to stay local for Grad School. I applied to Loyola Marymount University, California State University Long Beach, and California State University Los Angeles. I have narrowed it down to LMU and CSULB. But I don't know where to go. LMU is closer to home but almost double the price :o Long Beach is about a 45 min commute but I don't know if the program ranks up with LMU, it may be better, but I don't really know. Anybody know anything about these programs? Any opinions. Any suggestions? Where can I find the rankings of these schools? I know both are regarded as good programs in SoCal. Help please April 15th is upon us.

Do long beach, even if you are Cathoic. It's very very expensive. LB offers the EdS as well which is what matters. 

1 minute ago, kingslayer said:

Do long beach, even if you are Cathoic. It's very very expensive. LB offers the EdS as well which is what matters. 

Thank you! Yeah I def am not doing it because of any religious affiliation but I like that LMU offers the MA and Ed.S. I'm super conflicted. I just want to be in a reputable program. My professor at UCSB actually recommended LB.

25 minutes ago, tania5493 said:

Thank you! Yeah I def am not doing it because of any religious affiliation but I like that LMU offers the MA and Ed.S. I'm super conflicted. I just want to be in a reputable program. My professor at UCSB actually recommended LB.

Both has its pros and cons. Both are third LMU would be probably be better in terms of location (45 minutes to an from college in LA traffic is a bitch, not even counting gas prices and repairs). being far away (unless you're used to it) could be really annoying in itself--like you'll probably be at school Monday through Thursday from 6-9, and then eventually you'll have practicum. You would also get the MA at LMU. If you did go there, you would have loan forgiveness after 10 years of consistent payments. LMU's education program is also #62 in the country.

I think the only thing I wouldn't like about the program is the whole money aspect. If the program is anything like ones I have applied to, you'll basically have no chance to work and so everything will be based on loans you have taken out.

5 hours ago, kingslayer said:

Both has its pros and cons. Both are third LMU would be probably be better in terms of location (45 minutes to an from college in LA traffic is a bitch, not even counting gas prices and repairs). being far away (unless you're used to it) could be really annoying in itself--like you'll probably be at school Monday through Thursday from 6-9, and then eventually you'll have practicum. You would also get the MA at LMU. If you did go there, you would have loan forgiveness after 10 years of consistent payments. LMU's education program is also #62 in the country.

I think the only thing I wouldn't like about the program is the whole money aspect. If the program is anything like ones I have applied to, you'll basically have no chance to work and so everything will be based on loans you have taken out.

What do you mean both are third? Yeah at LMU I woud get both the MA and EdS and at Long Beach I only would have the EdS I think. I love both programs it would really come down to the financial aspect. 

Hey everyone, I am having the hardest time deciding where to send my deposit. I am deciding between temple, william and mary, and umass boston. My biggest factors are program reputation, safety (city), and location of the state and its salary after licensure. Since I will be getting a license at the state I will be attending the program at.

Thanks so much.

1 hour ago, ohhappyday said:

Hey everyone, I am having the hardest time deciding where to send my deposit. I am deciding between temple, william and mary, and umass boston. My biggest factors are program reputation, safety (city), and location of the state and its salary after licensure. Since I will be getting a license at the state I will be attending the program at.

Thanks so much.

I too had narrowed it down to temple and UMass Boston. Don't know much about William and Mary, so I can't comment, but I can comment on the 2 other schools. I honestly think that there are places in both cities that aren't the safest. There are, however, safe places to live in both cities. For a program with a better fit, I would not worry too much about this because there isn't that much of a difference between the 2. People who I know who are school psychologists in PA live pretty comfortably (some grads from Temple, some from other programs), and temple has a very good reputation in the suburbs, so you wouldn't have to stay in the city. This wasn't a concern of mine as I am more research-oriented, so I do not know about UMass in this way. If it is any help, I met some of the incoming cohort at temple at admitted students day (both EdS and PhD) and everyone was so nice. It seems like there will be a decent cohort there full of smart and interesting people. Not to mention how great and kind the faculty are. I am sure you will be happy and thrive at any program you pick, so go with your intuition and pick the program that feels right and that will help you reach your goals. I liked many of the program's I visited, but one just made me feel more at home. 

Best of luck! 

@Bluescluess it's a good idea to email the schools you're wait listed on, express excitement at the possibility to attend the school, and see what is the status of your position. 

On March 31, 2016 at 9:46 AM, ohhappyday said:

Thanks so much.

I think they each have as far as rankings go good programs, and reputations and you never know until you visit the program whether it will be for you or not. William and Mary is going to be by far the safest of the 3 being in Williamsburg, and that college town is amazing. Location as for salary will likely be UMass, then Temple followed by William and Mary but then again the cost of living is more expensive near Boston and Philadelphia so while you'll make more your going to be spending a lot more on housing and everything else really being in the NorthEast. I agree with Anxious Applicant01 with going with the one that feels right to you and the area you would enjoy living at minimum the next couple years, I visited Temple and was excited to visit it but I got turned off by a couple of the current students and some of the faculty and think it showed when I interviewed that I wasn't going to go there. Delaware is where I really wanted to be but unfortunately didn't have the luck I wanted with getting in there yet.

Edited by Doubles89

Vermont is offering it's first MA/CAGS program in School Psychology at Castleton University beginning in June 2016.  We have rolling admissions as we get our program up and running.  It has been developed using NASP guidelines.  Here is the link to the program

http://www.castleton.edu/academics/graduate-programs/master-of-arts-school-psychology/

Opinions please. Is it a significant benefit to have the Ed.S and the MA? 

I haven't committed yet but have basically made my decision. Pretty sure I should go to long beach state. Was even offered a 28k grant (have to do additional training) meaning my tuition will be mostly covered. The only thing that slightly bothers me is that I will only get the Ed.s and not the MA at LB. Does this really matter?

LMU is a dual degree but the most funding I can get is 40% tuition of a 70k program. Even if I assume I get that much that leaves at 40k+ debt.

Not sure that the debt is worth it as I feel I will fare relatively equally with a degree from either program.

Basically asking if it really matters where I go? 

So I applied to 4 programs and I was officially rejected from 2 wait listed for 2......but today I got a phone call from one of the wait list and I'm off the wait list!!!!!! I'm so happy!!!! And they have offered me funding which is crazy for an Ed.s level program sending in my acceptance for asap!  Thought I share some good news...and for those on the wait list there is still hope!!!