Fall 2016 School Psychology

SAL33

3 hours ago, psychschool said:

what happens when a college notifies you through email that you were accepted later to email you back saying it was a mistake in the system? 

Has this happened to you? If so from where?

13 hours ago, kingslayer said:

FINALLY. I'm so relieved. Just got an email back from a college (the one both you and I applied to, @westy3789). Apparently my application was incomplete (even though it wasn't) and they didn't offer me admission. They didn't even spell my name correctly on the rejection letter--that's ridiculous. It was literally right there for them to copy and paste, and it's in my email.

It just goes to show how much the application system varies. I received full rides to four higher ranked colleges, yet was rejected without interview to this one. It was at the bottom of my list, but still.

I was also flat out rejected from Milwaukee as well. They didn't say anything about my application file being incomplete though.

Out of the 8 programs I applied to (Milwaukee, Minnesota-Moorhead, Eau Claire, Whitewater, Stout, La Crosse, Minot State, University of Kentucky) I received 2/2 acceptances to the places I interviewed (both ~15% acceptance rates), 2/2 acceptances at places that didn't have interviews, and 3/4 interview invites (which I didn't end up attending because I had already been accepted into a program that had everything I needed). So 7/8 programs expressed interest in me, the only school that didn't? Milwaukee. A 157V/155Q/5AW GRE (lower end for PHD programs though), 710 psychology GRE (79th percentile), cum laude psychology graduate, USAF veteran, being a male (which actually does help I think), and 4 years of experience working with special needs children, adolescents and adults (as a group home manager, troubled youth counselor, and direct care staff) wasn't good enough for a phone call. They didn't even have to invite me over for an in person interview since they offer phone interviews to students who are too far away ha. You would think they would at least say "hm, let's give this guy a phone call to see what he's like". I don't know maybe they only considered some of the applicants that weren't accepted into their PHD program for the MSEd/EdS...who knows.

Oh well - their loss, right?! (it was also at the bottom of my list anyways). #bitterfeelings

Edited by westy3789

11 hours ago, psychschool said:

what happens when a college notifies you through email that you were accepted later to email you back saying it was a mistake in the system? 

No way ha, seriously? I can only imagine how badly I would handle this situation.

Edited by westy3789

I am curious if anyone has made an official decision of what school they are going to attend in the fall. It seems like everyone is still in the waiting/deciding phase. I would love to hear about the positive end of this process: Accepting an Offer. 

11 minutes ago, DestinyS said:

@Love3 I wish I could go ahead and accept, but I heard you should wait until you hear back from all of your funding offers first. 

I've heard back from all of my schools but I've noticed that a few people are still waiting. How many schools are you waiting to hear back from? Do you have an idea of where you want to go? 

@Love3 it really depends on funding. Right now it's between Arizona and USF, and I've already received a nice funding offer from Arizona. I haven't heard from USF yet. 

@DestinyS funding is important. I got funding for 3 out 4 of my offers so that 4th choice was automatically out! It just came down to fit, location and happiness. I think I made the right decision. 

I'm hoping that a stipend posted for one of my 2 top choices is wrong. It's only $4k per year =[

I have one school offering me $11k, the other is $20k, I forgot the other two. But I don't know how I'd be able to even live on $333 per month. It doesn't even cover a room, let alone everything else. I need to have all my options open even though all the schools I was accepted to are so good.

#firstworldproblems

@kingslayer I have a guy in my class that said last years funding for his program was so bad that they could only give out 3k stipends. It happens. That's why I'm hoping for a fully funded program. Nothing passed the first year is really guaranteed. 

are you guys talking about funding for the eds program? if so Thats awesome you guys got funding! I got none :( Is funding for eds programs common? Ill be reapplying next year again to get into my dream program and wanted to know how funding is usually for it

Edited by psychschool

I finally got an offer from one of my top 3! The other 2 rejected me, so I'm very tempted to just accept and forget about the other schools I'm waiting to hear from.

What factors do you look at when making your decision? What is more important -- the reputation/name of the school, or being able to make/save more money? 

The school is in a big (and expensive!) city, but I could commute. I would have to cut 17 hours from my work schedule at most, and transit would be fairly affordable. I was looking at class availability for this school and one closer to where I live, and I would be able to keep my work schedule the same if I were to be accepted / chose to go to the local one. The classes available would already be on my day off, which is perfect. This school is a small school, and the one I was accepted to is very well known. Working is a necessity for me, especially because I would like to move by my 2nd semester.

What would you do? I would lose about about 1/4 of my salary if I went with my top choice, but it would be doable. There is one more school that I really like that I'm waiting to hear back from, but I would have to move to a different state. I haven't gotten any funding information, and that would be a fairly big factor too.

@neonossuary I think funding is important, but it shouldn't be the sole reason why you pick a program. There are many characteristics that make schools different, so I would evaluate each school and consider the ones I like the best. If you find one that you just have a burning desire to go to, but your funding offer isn't as great, my professor said that you could negotiate increasing your offer. However, the one that I have a burning desire to go to would be the one that I would pick. You don't want to get into a program and regret not making the right choice. 

I just got done with my first interview. Does anyone have any idea how long programs usually take to notify their decisions?

I have another 2 interviews. Nervous but super happy that I got 3/3 of interviews, I wasn't so sure what my chances were.