Jump to content

Can you be awarded IIE and Hays Fulbrights in back-to-back years?


Recommended Posts

Hypothetically, is this possible? I was told no, but was not able to corroborate via official websites.

If the answer is "no," please provide a link/resource.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fulbright allows you to apply for the ETA one year and the Study/Full Grant another year, so this should be possible. However, they do mention that they prioritize non-Fulbright recipients ahead of past-recipients. Considering how many applicants there are, I would say the odds are really against you if you managed to win one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a former Fulbright IIE recipient and now applying for the Fulbright-Hays-- I think your 2-year timeline is technically possible, but you'll want to check with your campus Fulbright representative. If this is allowed, you would need to make an air-tight case for why your dissertation research requires two consecutive years in the host country, especially when it comes time to apply for your second grant. Almost all agencies want to fund 12-16 months of fieldwork/archival work abroad. Requests for funding beyond that are often read negatively: "why didn't this person get their work done in 12 months? why didn't she do what she said she would do [[e.g. the whole project]] in the last grant? why should we fund this person to hang out for another year when we can fund an entirely new project that can be completed in 12 months?" PS - these are not my thoughts on research abroad - I understand that more time in field is often necessary/better, but you will be up against these perceptions!

Here's my advice :

Fulbright IIE: Includes the ETA and Research Grant. Open to anyone with a B.A. Degree. September/October Deadline, requires an interview with your campus panel. Administered through IIE. This grant favors applicants who have little or no experience (usually less than 6 months, although check me on that - it's on the website) living in the host country.  So, if you do decide to apply for both, you need to apply for this one first, before you garner substantial experience in the country. 

Fulbright-Hays DDRA: Only for doctoral candidates conducting dissertation research abroad in fields (broadly) related to area studies. Spring deadline. No interview required, usually very short application period. Administered through the Department of Education -- totally separate funding source and administrative apparatus than IIE. Applicants are recommended by American panel of area studies experts, and then merely rubber-stamped by the host country (whereas the host country does more of the selecting with the IIE). 

How you could win both:  In the fall of 2015, apply for Fulbright IIE. Win it! You'll hear back in Spring 2016. In Spring/Summer 2016, apply for Fulbright-Hays. Propose a start date that is around the end of your Fulbright-IIE year. Make a solid case for why the Fulbright-Hays is absolutely essential to complete your project, acknowledging that you'll be abroad on the Fulbright IIE for 10 months prior. Do not request a long project (16 months of funding or something) from Fulbright-Hays when they know you've already had 10 months of IIE funding-- apply for 6 months or something modest.

Keep in mind that the stipend is much, much higher for Fulbright-Hays -- in my case roughly 2x what I would receive with Fulbright IIE. This is because per diems are calculated on the state department's rate for Fulbright-Hays, and Fulbright IIE offers a flat $1000/month stipend (or something like that) in almost every corner of the world. Because Fulbright-Hays is designed for advanced doctoral candidates who often have families, you can also request substantial funding for dependents. If I were you I would really shoot for the Fulbright-Hays, and then plan to stretch the money as long as you possibly can -- you may find that you can do 2 years of research abroad with merely one year of salary from Fulbright-Hays. Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use