Average Clinical Research

Hi!  

I plan on applying to Clinical Psychology PhD programs in the fall and I was wondering what everyone's average research experience is.  Do people typically apply with papers and presentations under their belt?  I think I have a strong research component to my CV, but just wanted to see where I was in comparison to either people who have already been accepted or people who are applying this year. 

Thanks! 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit of an anomaly since I'm applying to clinical psych PhD programs with an MA in experimental psych under my belt, so it's expected that I'll have more research experience than someone applying out of their undergrad. I have 3 conference presentations (2 poster, 1 paper, all first author) and one first-author publication. I have 2 more first-authors pubs that have been submitted, and 2 other papers in preparation. 

When I was applying to these programs out of undergrad, I only had the one submitted first author publication, as well as a few years of RA experience (mostly just data collection). I got interviews at 3 out of the programs I applied to. I think a lot of it comes down to 1) how you can spin what experience you have, and 2) how that experience stands up to the rest of the folks in the same application cycle. These things do vary from year to year. 

I agree with FacelessMage on his or her statement. Even if you have ample experience, that doesn't guarantee you a spot; neither does having less experience compared to other candidates mean you're automatically rejected. I'm starting my clinical program this year, and my cohort ranges from someone straight out of undergrad to having a previous Masters in a relevant area to someone who took a long-term hiatus and is restarting the program. It's a matter of the applicant pool for your cycle as well as how much you fit with the programs you want to apply to. I would say that for me, fit and strong references/statements worked in my favour over simply research experience (I had a lot at the time of my application, but limited in pubs/presentations). 

But see, the fact that you guys are using phrases like "only had one first author submission" and "lots of [research experience] but limited in pubs/presentation" makes some of us nervous because we don't have anything remotely close to that! I have some research experience, but it's not necessarily in my area of focus. And pubs/presentations are not even a remote possibility by the time I apply. It seems like the baseline requirement is at least 2-3 years of research doing "real" things (i.e. not just data entry like I am) and at least a presentation or pub on the way.

So anxiety inducing, haha!

But see, the fact that you guys are using phrases like "only had one first author submission" and "lots of [research experience] but limited in pubs/presentation" makes some of us nervous because we don't have anything remotely close to that! I have some research experience, but it's not necessarily in my area of focus. And pubs/presentations are not even a remote possibility by the time I apply. It seems like the baseline requirement is at least 2-3 years of research doing "real" things (i.e. not just data entry like I am) and at least a presentation or pub on the way.

I say that I only had one because the first year I applied, my friend, who at the time had a 4.0 GPA, crazy research experience, and several publications, got rejected from all 10 schools she applied to without interviews. It really is a random process that depends on several factors, such as who else is applying with you and where you stack up in comparison to them and whether a prof is interested in working with you. Department politics also play a big part, where well qualified candidates with a willing supervisor get rejected because the supervisor has too much/too little funding or because the department deems that another prof should have priority in accepting students. 

I think if you're applying to something like counselling, you can get away with less research experience. 

Haha sorry for sounding like a keener there! :P
My however many years of experience in research doesn't accumulate to all strong experience that is good to write home about! I spent a good 2 years doing simple experimentation and such (I was just fortunate enough to start early in my undergraduate career). It wasn't until mid-3rd year that my research experience came into shape more, and escalated during my fourth year when I completed my honours thesis and did outside projects at a nearby hospital. So just like you I spent a good deal of time doing menial tasks too! 

Again I agree about the randomness of graduate programs, especially in Psychology. For me, one of the places and supervisors that I was accepted to had originally told me that she couldn't take on any students this year due to lack of funding on her part. After I did an interview with another prof in the same stream, she decided to change her mind and asked me for an interview. So what I think is more important than anything is your ability to prove that you belong at the program. Don't think beyond your own set of skills or socially compare yourself. Just take it as it is, and run with it! 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!  I haven't been on here in a while and am shocked that people responded.  I sorta gave up hope that someone would.  Thanks!  

I was just wondering what people did to get in.  I'm applying this round and think that I have decent experience. Would anyone care to give me any advice on what my chances would be? 

I have 2 years undergrad research, 1 internship in a lab, and then 2 years employed research with people in the field. I also have a first author publication (with one in the process) and two co-author publications (7th and 3rd authors). I have four first-author posters, a co-author poster, three co-authors on oral presentations, and will be giving a talk in October at an international conference.  

My boss and professor at my undergrad both think I have a pretty good chance at getting in.  I, of course, am very hesitant since I've heard of a lot of people with great CVs not getting anywhere.  

Wow!  I haven't been on here in a while and am shocked that people responded.  I sorta gave up hope that someone would.  Thanks!  

I was just wondering what people did to get in.  I'm applying this round and think that I have decent experience. Would anyone care to give me any advice on what my chances would be? 

I have 2 years undergrad research, 1 internship in a lab, and then 2 years employed research with people in the field. I also have a first author publication (with one in the process) and two co-author publications (7th and 3rd authors). I have four first-author posters, a co-author poster, three co-authors on oral presentations, and will be giving a talk in October at an international conference.  

My boss and professor at my undergrad both think I have a pretty good chance at getting in.  I, of course, am very hesitant since I've heard of a lot of people with great CVs not getting anywhere.  

As with always, hopefulclinicalpsych, it's all about what those of us fortunate to have passed through the seams would say. The fit with your potential advisor, the rapport you build with him or her through your application process, and a bit of sheer luck will go a long way to your success. You have A LOT of experience, more than I can say I had this time last year, and you should feel encouraged by that!

Good luck :)

• 1 month later...

It varies and depends on the school. I have an amazing gpa , 2 pubs ( one first author and the other third), 4 poster presentations, 2 oral presentations. But I can say that I have really bad GRE scores. So that is what brought my app down. I was interviewed at one program waitlisted and then rejected. I was accepted into a clinical masters program where research is not the theme. I am reapplying and retaking the GRE scores. When I interviewed there where people who did not have the level of research experience that I had but they did have amazing GRE scores, they got it. It all varies with the program and their focus.  Just keep swimming, well, that is what I tell myself. 

1 hour ago, Heavensmaiden said:

It varies and depends on the school. I have an amazing gpa , 2 pubs ( one first author and the other third), 4 poster presentations, 2 oral presentations. But I can say that I have really bad GRE scores. So that is what brought my app down. I was interviewed at one program waitlisted and then rejected. I was accepted into a clinical masters program where research is not the theme. I am reapplying and retaking the GRE scores. When I interviewed there where people who did not have the level of research experience that I had but they did have amazing GRE scores, they got it. It all varies with the program and their focus.  Just keep swimming, well, that is what I tell myself. 

Do you mind me asking what your GRE scores were? You don't have to divulge that information if you don't want to (I'm just always curious what people think is "really bad" in terms of GRE scores.)

Edited by Becks_Psych