Last date to take the GRE?

Piagetsky

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the PhD programs I am applying to have December 1st application deadlines. A couple of them stated that taking the GRE before November 1st will allow enough time for the scores to post, and for admissions to review them before the application deadline. I am pushing the envelope: my GRE retake date is October 30th. As long you take/retake the GRE by then you should be fine.

Best regards & hope your seams hold up. :)

The first time I applied I took the GRE on November 18th (!) and it was still perfectly fine for December 1 deadlines. This might be a bad idea for other reasons (i.e. late-minute panicking) BUT it's possible. ETS says 15 days but in my experience it's more like a week. 

Make sure you account for weekends and holidays though. It't not just 15 days after whenever you take it. For instance, I'm taking my GRE December 8, but 15 working days from that will be December 29 due to Christmas and weekends.