Are any PsyD programs funded?

SunshineState

Brand noob here... 

I'm interested in getting a PsyD beacuse I don't want to do research, I want to work with individuals, families, groups and businesses. 
I read some stuff online that said PsyD's are looked at as not being "real" degrees in Psychology. Is that baloney

Is there any benefit to having a doctorate versus a masters?(I don't know why not just MFT, a Doctorate sounds better but does it pay better too?)
Are any of PsyD programs funded? Where's a good place to start looking for those programs? I don't even know where to begin.
I'd like to do art therapy or individual counseling or trauma work/rape recovery but I already have an MFA, (useless and cost 120K).
I can't afford to take out any more loans! 

Thanks~

Baylor University has a funded PsyD program. You'd still have to do some research and complete a dissertation, but it's more "people focused" than typical PhD programs. Good luck in your funded PsyD search... I couldn't find very much last year!

I read some stuff online that said PsyD's are looked at as not being "real" degrees in Psychology. Is that baloney

Well, it's "baloney" that PsyDs are not real degrees in psychology, but it is not "baloney" that some people believe PsyDs are not real degrees in psychology. The PsyD is a more recent model that was developed, IIRC, in the 1970s-1980s to address people just like you - folks who wanted a doctoral-level degree in psychology to do care provision with people without learning to become a producer of research. A lot of old heads in the field are skeptical about PsyD programs (my introduction to them in my very first psychology class was my professor writing it on the board, then writing a big red X over it, categorically telling all of us not to do them at all). But there are some very reputable PsyD programs that are APA-accredited and will lead you to your goal of therapy with individuals and families.

However, the vast majority of them are not funded. In addition to Baylor, James Madison offers all their students three years of TA/GA support. Their PsyD is a combined clinical/school program.

Is there any benefit to having a doctorate versus a masters?(I don't know why not just MFT, a Doctorate sounds better but does it pay better too?)

Generally speaking there are two main benefits: scope of practice and salary. Generally speaking, doctorally-prepared psychologists are the only ones who can legally call themselves "psychologists", and in many states are the only therapists who can work under the legal definition of "independently." They also have higher overall salaries.

But that's speaking really generally.

A psychologist in rural Oklahoma working with Native American families might make less money than a licensed clinical social worker in Seattle working with upper-middle-class patients. A MFT who has their own practice and only occasionally consults with a psychologist might feel more independent than a clinical psychologist working at a VA hospital. The state definition of non-independence may require a collaborative relationship with a psychologist - that doesn't mean that one will be breathing down your neck at sessions, but may simply mean that you check in with one once a week or a few times a month to discuss complex cases. And depending on what non-doctoral degree you get, you might not have to do this at all (I believe that LCSWs can practice independently in all states, but check that to be sure.)

I can't afford to take out any more loans! 

Any program you do that leads to licensure in professional therapy/counseling/psychology work will most likely require some loan debt, unless you get a PhD in clinical or counseling psychology that is fully funded. Most PhDs in clinical and counseling are fully funded, but they come with the caveat that they tend to be more research-focused and will require participation in research and a research-based dissertation.

A PsyD will be most expensive, in that they are typically 3 years of coursework and 1 year of an internship. But even an MFT, MSW, or master's in professional counseling will probably require some debt. There are very few scholarships or non-repayable aid for programs in this field, so you'd have to borrow to cover costs. The cheapest way to do it is to get a master's in one of those latter three fields from a public university in the state where you're a resident.

One option, if you are interested in serving in the military for a few years, is applying for the Health Professionals Scholarship Program through one of the branches. The Army and Navy will pay for clinical or counseling psych; the Air Force is a little more vague about what they cover but you can always check with a recruiter to find out for sure.