HESA Masters 2016

rgreen

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! So I'm totally late to this, but I'm currently in the process of applying to the following schools:

• University of Vermont
  • University of Connecticut
  • University of Utah
  • University of Pittsburgh
  • State University New York - Buffalo
  • Merrimack College
  • Michigan State University 

I've already submitted my application for UVM and I'm working on UConn and Pitt concurrently. Is anyone else finding this process incredibly overwhelming and exhausting!?! I'm losing my mind! 

Vermont is currently my top choice, what about everyone else? 

On 11/6/2015, 5:08:47, JayBoogie said:

Hey guys! So I'm totally late to this, but I'm currently in the process of applying to the following schools:

• University of Vermont
  • University of Connecticut
  • University of Utah
  • University of Pittsburgh
  • State University New York - Buffalo
  • Merrimack College
  • Michigan State University 

I've already submitted my application for UVM and I'm working on UConn and Pitt concurrently. Is anyone else finding this process incredibly overwhelming and exhausting!?! I'm losing my mind! 

Vermont is currently my top choice, what about everyone else? 

Hey, I have been through the admission process 3 times at UVM. I know most of the people involved on a first name basis and have connections with current and past students. I know Burlington very well (grew up 100 miles north (in Canada aha)). 

Let me know if I can help. I know the interview weekend process better than anyone. I have been through it 3 times! I know a lot of the people that conduct the interviews. It's a great program!

Patrick

Hi 2016 applicants! NYU's Higher Education and Student Affairs (HESA) Master's program will be holding an informational webinar this afternoon at 2:00 p.m. EST. It will be hosted by two second-year students and a first-year student.

Here's the link: https://plus.google.com/events/c1ohhlltnnvumlcjdva3n9a0678

If you can't make it today, there will be another one tomorrow evening at 8:00 p.m. EST. I'll edit this post to add the YouTube links to both webinars here once they are done.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Im about halfway done with this application process and Im still finding it strange that none of the schools Im applying to make any contact with their prospective students. I know that the grad school process is different than undergrad (when I was applying to undergrad I got a flood of emails and stuff in the mail). I submitted my application to Ball State, and their application process requires admittance to the graduate school before applying to their HESA program and I didnt even get a formal "you were admitted to the graduate school, now you may apply to your selected program." Not a letter, not an email, nothing. I understand that grad schools arent actively trying to recruit applicants like they do for undergrad, but like I said, it seem very strange that I seem to receive no contact whatsoever. I feel like this makes the application process so much more daunting. Is this just the standard for grad schools. Maybe it helps weed out people who arent serious about applying or something? I'd like to know other people's thoughts and experiences. 

5 hours ago, xSuperRaquelx said:

Im about halfway done with this application process and Im still finding it strange that none of the schools Im applying to make any contact with their prospective students. I know that the grad school process is different than undergrad (when I was applying to undergrad I got a flood of emails and stuff in the mail). I submitted my application to Ball State, and their application process requires admittance to the graduate school before applying to their HESA program and I didnt even get a formal "you were admitted to the graduate school, now you may apply to your selected program." Not a letter, not an email, nothing. I understand that grad schools arent actively trying to recruit applicants like they do for undergrad, but like I said, it seem very strange that I seem to receive no contact whatsoever. I feel like this makes the application process so much more daunting. Is this just the standard for grad schools. Maybe it helps weed out people who arent serious about applying or something? I'd like to know other people's thoughts and experiences. 

I applied to 8 schools last year (different field, though), and I found a mixed bag.  Some schools sent me nothing, some sent me a ton of stuff.  One school sent me an EXTREME amount of emails after I had already been admitted, which was April, and by that time, I had made up my mind.  Kinda weird if you ask me!

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, DoubleExpresso said:

Are we there yet!?!?!? Is there anyone else who checks their email at least 27 times a day!? 

UGH! I know I definitely do! All of my program deadlines were December 1st and aren't rolling admissions, so I don't know why I am expecting a response so soon!

I heard most programs let applicants know if they were invited to interview around the middle of January.

OMG I'm the same way!! I only applied to UConn and UVM (which both had Dec. 1 deadlines), and my friend who was accepted to UVM two years ago got her notice in mid-January. I applied to one with a deadline of Dec. 15 (which was literally two days ago) and I obsessively check my email, even though I know it won't be there for a long time haha :-)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2015 at 4:20 PM, Snow21 said:

I'm wavering between doing this for fall 2016 or 2017. HESA is a recent interest of mine. Right now I'm researching. I would love to stay in the PNW if possible. I've got family and folks that can't just be uprooted and moved around. I've got Seattle U and the University of Washington Seattle on my list right now. I'm not sure about UW's leadership in education program, but Seattle U's Student Development program sounds pretty good. Just weighing my options and trying to decide if the M.ed is necessary to move forward in this career. This would be my second Master's and I'm feeling a little old to go back to school but I'm really interested. Sigh, hopefully thegradcafe can help me make some decisions. 

Are you still looking at applying to Seattle U's SDA program?

Might be dumb but I'm only applying to one program. If I get rejected, I'll just sit out another semester and put in more applications (I'm only 20 after all, I have time) but I really think it's the best program for me, I don't want to go anywhere else. I feel pretty confident about my chances of getting in. 

On 12/17/2015 at 1:03 AM, JayBoogie said:

OMG I'm the same way!! I only applied to UConn and UVM (which both had Dec. 1 deadlines), and my friend who was accepted to UVM two years ago got her notice in mid-January. I applied to one with a deadline of Dec. 15 (which was literally two days ago) and I obsessively check my email, even though I know it won't be there for a long time haha :-)

It's almost "mid-January" can the agony of waiting be over yet? hahaha.

Im not putting too much hope into my UConn application though. One of my recommenders just didnt submit it. He was so quick to email me when I asked in the first place, but when the deadline came up he basically vanished. I had to get a last minute LoR in and it ended up being late. I also know it was very short and not very detailed. So Im not sure what to expect. 

@xSuperRaquelx From what I understand about admission practices, committees look first at your resume, personal statement, transcripts, etc. before they look at LoRs. Many committees are understanding that some LoRs aren't up to par for whatever reason (e.g. last minute ask due to other person vanishing). Don't focus too much on that one LoR that wasn't as strong. Hope this helps. :-)

I heard UConn is sending out interview invites this week... I'm not too confident given the number of applicants they average for their program but I'm still sitting here in a ball of anxiety! I can't stop refreshing my email!

11 hours ago, SAgal said:

I heard UConn is sending out interview invites this week... I'm not too confident given the number of applicants they average for their program but I'm still sitting here in a ball of anxiety! I can't stop refreshing my email!

@SAgal really!? I'm with you--I'm not very hopeful because not only was my SOP pretty dreadful, but I heard they usually receive an INSANE number of applicants each period. It was my "dream" school (i.e. the one I knew I more than likely wouldn't be accepted to, but applied anyway just to say I did). You and I can anxiously refresh our emails together! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!