HESA Masters 2016

rgreen

22 minutes ago, MetriX said:

Hey all, newbie here. Grats so far to those who have already gotten acceptance letters! Like many of you, I've been checking results at an unhealthy rate... So far, I've applied to:

• Vanderbilt, Peabody: Accepted (no information on funding or assistantships yet)
  • Michigan State University: Reeejected :(
  • University of Texas - Austin: Accepted
  • University of Pittsburgh: Awaiting decision
  • Seattle University: Awaiting decision

At this point, I'm leaning heavily toward Vandy. However, the uncertainty regarding funding makes me nervous. Does anyone have information on the approximate number of students who get assistantships and/or scholarships at Peabody? Also, how important do you think a college's reputation/name is in the field of student affairs? Just trying to weigh how much more I'd be willing to pay to attend Vandy, as Texas also looks appealing, especially if I can secure an assistantship with in-state tuition.

Anyway, best of luck of everyone!

Hey MetriX! Sorry, I don't have any information on Vandy, but my friend and I are both anxiously awaiting our decisions from Seattle U. So you can join in on the fun with us if you'd like! :D

21 minutes ago, MetriX said:

At this point, I'm leaning heavily toward Vandy. However, the uncertainty regarding funding makes me nervous.

For what it's worth, Nashville has a low cost of living--compared to where I live at least--which might help offset your costs. I'm not sure how it compares to Austin though.

On student affairs Facebook groups, folks in grad school and in the field stated name doesn't matter much for graduate degrees. As long as it's an accredited program/university, you're fine.

@MetriX I have a friend who works at UT Austin and they love both the university and the area. Major city with diverse groups of people and so much to do.

Edited by janetjanejune

9 hours ago, MetriX said:

Also, how important do you think a college's reputation/name is in the field of student affairs? Just trying to weigh how much more I'd be willing to pay to attend Vandy, as Texas also looks appealing, especially if I can secure an assistantship with in-state tuition.

Anyway, best of luck of everyone!

Going to a top school will definitely give you a reputation that precedes you (at least, so I've heard from professionals at my institution), but at the end of the day I don't think it matters as much as spending time in a program you really like, gaining experience from assistantships/internships/practica, and doing what you think is best for your situation. Personally, I'd go the route with less debt as I already have a ton of undergrad debt, but that might not be your situation and the funding could be less important to your search and decision comparative to prestige/reputation.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. 

@Jay: Definitely interested in what Seattle offers, as it's one of my favorite cities. I'd love to live there.

@Olympic: From the looks of it, Nashville is cheaper, but if I want to live near the Vanderbilt campus, it'll still be pretty pricey. Still a lot cheaper than where I'm from though!

7 minutes ago, sarahmichellegellar said:

Got invited to interview at Bowling Green earlier! I was feeling really iffy about this school, especially after last week's Michigan State rejection, so it made my day to get this email.

Congratulations!! 

On 1/1/2016 at 11:37 AM, vestigialtraits said:

Are you still looking at applying to Seattle U's SDA program?

Yes I am, but not until this fall (fall 2016). Are you thinking about attending? 

Edited by Snow21

7 minutes ago, Snow21 said:

Congrats! That's exciting! I may have to come back here and ask you questions when I'm applying for next year. 

Thanks! I imagine I'll be around and more than willing to help out. 

SeattleU is the only program I applied to though so as far as program comparisons, I don't know much. 

1 hour ago, vestigialtraits said:

Thanks! I imagine I'll be around and more than willing to help out. 

SeattleU is the only program I applied to though so as far as program comparisons, I don't know much. 

Seattle U is the only school I'm considering right now. I really love how their program is set up. I feel like I should find a second program just in case though.  But I'm also trying to not go overboard on it this time. Last time I applied for grad school I applied to 14 schools. Was a bit nuts by the end of it. 

On 1/29/2016 at 10:10 PM, Snow21 said:

Seattle U is the only school I'm considering right now. I really love how their program is set up. I feel like I should find a second program just in case though.  But I'm also trying to not go overboard on it this time. Last time I applied for grad school I applied to 14 schools. Was a bit nuts by the end of it. 

Wow! 14 is A LOT. You probably shouldn't find a few. Only applying to one worked out for me but I don't know if I'd suggest it.  

2 hours ago, hesaplease said:

Anyone know what an academic interview entails? Most of the resources I find tend to address Ph.D. programs or hard science programs...

Academic interviews can look different depending on the focus and setup of the program. The only school I did a dedicated "academic interview" at was UVM, where I go now. Feel free to direct message if you have questions about what that looked like for me!

Edit: I lied, I also had an academic interview at NC State.

Edited by justabluedevil15

On 1/30/2016 at 1:21 PM, vestigialtraits said:

Wow! 14 is A LOT. You probably shouldn't find a few. Only applying to one worked out for me but I don't know if I'd suggest it.  

Yeah, I don't suggest anyone follow that particular path. Although, it was worth it. I got to go to a school pretty much for free. No clue if that would have happened or if that school would have been on the list if I'd only done one or two schools. 

Hey everyone. I know y'all are in the throes of interviews and acceptance letters but I have a question for Fall 2016 apps. Has anyone applied to or have any info about the feel/ perception of the programs at Northern Arizona University, Seattle U, SUNY Buffalo or OSU? I'd appreciate any insights. 

On 2/12/2016 at 11:58 PM, Snow21 said:

Hey everyone. I know y'all are in the throes of interviews and acceptance letters but I have a question for Fall 2016 apps. Has anyone applied to or have any info about the feel/ perception of the programs at Northern Arizona University, Seattle U, SUNY Buffalo or OSU? I'd appreciate any insights. 

I applied to Northern Arizona. Heard really great things about their program. I recently attended a Google Hangout with their Housing GAs and they were really friendly and helpful.

Know someone who got into Seattle U for the Fall 2016 cohort. From their comments and Seattle U's website, their program seems pretty solid. The deadline has passed though if you haven't submitted your app.

Which OSU? There are so many schools with that acronym.

6 hours ago, janetjanejune said:

I applied to Northern Arizona. Heard really great things about their program. I recently attended a Google Hangout with their Housing GAs and they were really friendly and helpful.

Know someone who got into Seattle U for the Fall 2016 cohort. From their comments and Seattle U's website, their program seems pretty solid. The deadline has passed though if you haven't submitted your app.

Which OSU? There are so many schools with that acronym.

Thanks for the feedback on Northern Arizona and Seattle U. I'm not planning on applying  for this fall. I'm hoping to get in for fall 2017, so I've got a little time to learn more. 

Sorry for the confusion by OSU I meant Oregon State University.