SSN on applications?

kingslayer

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to fill out applications for grad schools but I am uncomfortable with giving out my social security number on applications for colleges I may not even be accepted in to.

1. Is putting a social security number on applications mandatory? (like do the do a background check on all applicants?)
  2. If not, what can I put in the field where it asks for my social?
  3. Also, have any of you NOT put your social on applications you've applied to? Will it hurt my chances?
Edited by highborn

You probably don't remember it, but you did this for undergrad and probably every job you've applied to. It helps for background checks, and also for establishing that you are in fact a citizen (note that non-citizens are usually required to enter a comparable number that's basically an SSN, such as an registration number or temporary SSN given to international students/workers). Depending on the school, they might not care and just get that info later, but some schools (especially if they only can fund US citizens) might take it as indication that you are international. Some apps won't let you move on to the rest of the app without it, some will. If you're really concerned I'd contact the department and ask if it will affect your application.

I wouldn't be concerned about giving them your SSN though, it's the same as applying to a job (and as a grad student, that's basically what you are) and they're hardly about to be irresponsible with it. 

You don't usually have to put this information into graduate school applications. As an international student, I had no SSN at time of application and it was not a problem (did not replace it with any other information instead).

If the form does not let you go on to the next page (or if it does not let you submit the application) without the SSN, email the admissions people and ask what you should put instead if you don't want to give out your SSN.

Edited to add: I agree it's the same as applying for a job. When I apply for jobs, I never give out my SSN (or rather, SIN, since I was in Canada). I only provide this information when I am hired/accepted.

Edited by TakeruK

I wouldn't be concerned about giving them your SSN though, it's the same as applying to a job (and as a grad student, that's basically what you are) and they're hardly about to be irresponsible with it. 

Meh, I disagree. There have been lots of stories in the news about companies being cavalier with the security of their employees' and customers' personal data like Social Security numbers and credit card numbers. When I applied to grad school back in 2007 I didn't think twice about it, but an application would give me pause these days. It's completely unnecessary for universities to ask for it at the application stage - they can simply ask a yes/no question about U.S. citizenship if they want to know that, and most departments are not running background checks on their students (and even if they have to, they can do this after they've accepted you).

I just completed a job search and none of the jobs I applied to asked for my SSN on a job application. I definitely wouldn't have applied for a job that insisted having it up front - because again, not necessary. The only time I had to provide my SSN was once I got hired - the company that hired me contracted a private background check company and I provided it to them, on a secure form; I also obviously had to submit it on my I-9 when I started working. But it's generally a bad idea to send your SSN out there willy-nilly to dozens of companies or schools.

Meh, I disagree. There have been lots of stories in the news about companies being cavalier with the security of their employees' and customers' personal data like Social Security numbers and credit card numbers.

This. I applied to Harvard and all I got was (a) a rejection on nice letterhead and (b) a letter six months later saying they'd had a data breach and were giving me a year of free credit monitoring. 

I also felt uncomfortable giving mi SSN (or SIN which is the Canadian version)

1. In Canada it is not mandatory to provide your SIN for an application (job or school). I would look for the US equivalent of this page http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/protect/provide.shtml

2. I just left if blank.

3. I don't think it hurts your chances- I was accepted at 3 schools :)

Meh, I disagree. There have been lots of stories in the news about companies being cavalier with the security of their employees' and customers' personal data like Social Security numbers and credit card numbers. When I applied to grad school back in 2007 I didn't think twice about it, but an application would give me pause these days. It's completely unnecessary for universities to ask for it at the application stage - they can simply ask a yes/no question about U.S. citizenship if they want to know that, and most departments are not running background checks on their students (and even if they have to, they can do this after they've accepted you).

I just completed a job search and none of the jobs I applied to asked for my SSN on a job application. I definitely wouldn't have applied for a job that insisted having it up front - because again, not necessary. The only time I had to provide my SSN was once I got hired - the company that hired me contracted a private background check company and I provided it to them, on a secure form; I also obviously had to submit it on my I-9 when I started working. But it's generally a bad idea to send your SSN out there willy-nilly to dozens of companies or schools.

That's what I was thinking! I thought maybe they needed my SSN for funding packages? Like they were going to run a background check or something, see how broke I am and then be like "hmm, let's give this girl free tuition (LET ME DREAM)." Even at doctor's offices I don't give my SSN. I may call and ask.

That's what I was thinking! I thought maybe they needed my SSN for funding packages? Like they were going to run a background check or something, see how broke I am and then be like "hmm, let's give this girl free tuition (LET ME DREAM)." Even at doctor's offices I don't give my SSN. I may call and ask.

Usually financial aid applications clearly show that they are financial aid applications. But I would imagine they would ask you to fill out a FAFSA or something to demonstrate need, rather than trying to "figure it out" via a background check (how would this tell them anyways??). Schools don't run random background checks on people unless it is necessary for the type of work you are doing. 

I bet that the school is just trying to take a shortcut and get all of its information from you at the application stage. If you accept their offer, it will just go into your student record and they won't have to worry about asking for your SSN later for payroll etc. However, as we said above, I don't think it's necessary to give out and it puts you at an unnecessary risk!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's mostly for funding.  When I applied to undergrad I didn't put my SSN on an application that listed it as optional. This was my first choice school and I filled out a priority application.  I never got any financial aid because I didn't put my social on it.  Once I called the university and asked about funding, they literally laughed at me and told me how could I NOT know I wouldn't get funding if I didn't put my SSN.  

... needless to say, I didn't go there for my undergrad. 

Some reasons they are asking for the ssn on the application -
1 - If you went to or applied to the school before (even as an undergad), then they can use it to merge any data about. This is usually to match up (mostly female students) who have married and changed names. My school uses this as one of the keys for the identity management system (along with name/birthdate/student id/employee id/and an internal id).

2 - The financial aid system (which is probably keyed by ssn) may be completely separate from the application system and student record system. It makes it easier for everyone to consolidate the data.

You really don't need it for the application, but will need it for any financial aid/stipends/grants/employment or any other money they might be giving you.

I don't remember if any of the schools I'm applying to require it, but I've put my SSN on all applications due to a recent name change (not because of marriage). It's the best way to match the stuff with my old name (GRE, study abroad transcripts) with stuff with my new name (current university transcripts, LORs, financial aid). 

I I understand your concern, though. I feel uneasy about it for sure. 

Some reasons they are asking for the ssn on the application -
1 - If you went to or applied to the school before (even as an undergad), then they can use it to merge any data about. This is usually to match up (mostly female students) who have married and changed names. My school uses this as one of the keys for the identity management system (along with name/birthdate/student id/employee id/and an internal id).

2 - The financial aid system (which is probably keyed by ssn) may be completely separate from the application system and student record system. It makes it easier for everyone to consolidate the data.

You really don't need it for the application, but will need it for any financial aid/stipends/grants/employment or any other money they might be giving you.

Indeed, all of these things can happen after you are admitted and not necessary for applications. My personal choice is to not give away numbers that compromise my security just for the convenience of the system! I'm not saying this is the only correct choice but I think it's up to each person to decide if the convenience of matching up different name records is worth revealing your SSN at the application stage. I just want people to know that most of the time, a request for SSN at the application stage (for anything, not just schools) can be ignored and that there are other ways of matching up different name records than SSN (but yes, these ways might be more complicated).