Department politics

egFace

I am a PhD student. My department just recruited a great researcher to be on the faculty, but he is already thinking of leaving. I am very disappointed, because I was planning on doing a lot of my PhD work with him, and I think he is a great addition to the faculty. The story is that his lab space was supposed to be cleared out and renovated by the beginning of September. However, the guy who previously occupied that space is very stubborn with moving his stuff out and thus halting renovations. And it isn't if there is heavy equipment to move out--he just has a lot of books to remove. At the time I write this post, it is already September 19. I just spoke to the new professor today, and he said that he may need to move to another university since his funding source is demanding that he start his research right away. All because some guy refuses to move his damn books!

So, I sent an email to the professor who is not moving his stuff, and politely offered to help move his stuff if he ever needs it. While this guy doesn't know that the new professor is thinking of moving to another university, I did make it a point to mention in the email that it would be a shame to lose him. I know that I am a mere grad student, but this guy's actions are not just affecting the start of a career for a new faculty member, but also my future plans. In other words, his actions (or lack thereof) are beginning to affect a student. Was it right for me to send the email to him, or was it a mistake? 

Edited by egFace

Honestly? Stay out of this. It is WAY above your pay grade. The guy that isn't moving his stuff probably knows the consequences of his decisions and is choosing to do it anyway. The reasons why aren't your business. So, stay out of it and try to cultivate other people in your program to work with. Best of luck!

I agree with rising_star, this kind of thing is way over the scope of a graduate student's concerns. In addition to the fact that this guy might know the consequences of not moving his books, there are probably a lot of other factors in consideration too. It's unlikely that the story is that simple and that graduate students know the whole story. 

Just to think of what else might be going on:

1. Maybe the new professor wasn't actually supposed to occupy that new space but a different space, but is now putting pressure on the department to give him that space. And this space might have been promised to the old professor. 

2. Maybe the new professor also has other reasons to go to other schools and this "books in the way" reason is just a easy explanation for the new professor.

3. Maybe the department doesn't actually want this new professor here after all and the "books in the way" reasons is just an easy explanation for the department.

4. Or it's some combination of 2 and 3 and the "books in the way" benefit both parties so neither party is particularly motivated to resolve that.

Overall, I get the sense that you are frustrated because it seems ridiculous that the only reason that the new prof isn't starting is because there are some books in the way. And I agree with you--that is a ridiculous reason!! Which would imply to me that there are actually other reasons going on in the background. If both the department and the professor really really really wanted to be there, those books would be out of there very fast. I've seen my department redecorate and renovate an entire office (tearing down walls etc.) in a couple of weeks because a new professor they really wanted was arriving. And, this was for an office that was previously renovated a year ago for the previous occupant that just left. 

I think that you have to leave it up to the department and the professor on whether or not they decide to have the new professor actually arrive and start work here. I agree with rising_star--there's no point anticipating the new faculty member's arrival and you should just focus on the people who are already here for now. 

Echoing what the others have said, absolutely stay out of it. It is 100% certain that there is more going on there than "books in the way." I wouldn't be surprised if recruiting students to help is another move in this chess game. Find a way to work with the people who are there now and just wait this out. There is nothing you can do to change the outcome.

Also, to add, you never know if what you do might effect this new professor. 

You say you mentioned in your email that it would be a shame to lose him, which implies that he's thinking about leaving, something he might not have told any other department faculty. 

You were just trying to help, but I'd be very careful about interceding like this on anyone's behalf- sometimes you do more harm than good, especially if they are playing things a particular way. 

In addition to emails, I would also advise against talking departmental politics with faculty. Either you're going to end up saying something you shouldn't, or you'll hear things about the people you work with that can't be unheard. 

If a professor you're talking to brings up Dept. politics, my advice would be to either say nothing, make a sympathetic noise or give a "what can you do, eh?" kinda shrug. Ask a discreet senior graduate student for backstories or explanations. 

In the scenario described, there are avenues for younger faculty to complain/appeal to authority in the case of conflicts like this (for instance escalating the matter to the Department Chair). The official channels of conflict resolution are almost certainly more effective and with fewer risks to the OP/junior researcher.

In addition to emails, I would also advise against talking departmental politics with faculty. Either you're going to end up saying something you shouldn't, or you'll hear things about the people you work with that can't be unheard. 

If a professor you're talking to brings up Dept. politics, my advice would be to either say nothing, make a sympathetic noise or give a "what can you do, eh?" kinda shrug. Ask a discreet senior graduate student for backstories or explanations. 

In the scenario described, there are avenues for younger faculty to complain/appeal to authority in the case of conflicts like this (for instance escalating the matter to the Department Chair). The official channels of conflict resolution are almost certainly more effective and with fewer risks to the OP/junior researcher.

I dunno, I really like being informed about department (and University) politics. There's a careful line of learning a *lot* but not offering so much in the way of opinions (early on) that you put yourself in jeopardy. 

It's good especially if you plan on going into academia, and even if not, it helps learn things like which faculty can't personally stand one another. I have friends that ended up with two bitter enemies on their dissertation committee, and that didn't go well for anyone involved.

I am similar to Eigen in the sense that I like to be informed about these kind of things. I would never ever bring up politics or drama to a professor unless it was directly relevant to me and I have a good rapport with that professor (i.e. as Eigen said, don't offer opinions that put yourself in jeopardy!). 

However, we encounter politics with our collaborators and coauthors when we have to navigate on who gets priority on publishing which result and whether or not we should cite person X because coauthor Y wants us to, etc. I think it's useful to discuss these things with my own advisor as they come up and I offer my opinions and thoughts so that I can learn how my advisor deals with these issues as they come up. I am glad that I have a good rapport with my own advisor so when I come up with a really dumb or naive opinion, my advisor points out why my approach could lead to problems and I am able to learn how to navigate academia without any judgement from my advisor.

At the University level, through being part of various committees and student organizations, I've learned a lot about various policies on campus and the politics behind professors' actions too. Here, as Eigen suggests, I am extra careful to not offer unsolicited opinions as I don't know who will eventually hear them. I make sure everything I say to any official would be something I'm comfortable saying to any other University official/faculty member. This doesn't mean I don't get involved in politics though--as part of my work with the student government, I get involved where it is necessary and where it fits my role. But I am careful to learn a lot first before talking politics with another person (again, making sure I don't say dumb things that will get me in trouble though!)

Nope. Just nope. 

So, you shouldn't involve yourself in that. What you SHOULD involve yourself in is figuring what you can do if the person leaves. Can you find another professor that would be pleasant to work with? Can you follow him to his new location (giving you a promise that you'll be in the PhD/whatever program where he goes)? ...I say this part, because I think I have heard of an instance where graduate students follow professors to new institutions ....don't take my word for it, though. Or can you not follow him and think of another enjoyable project that's more suited to the faculty with you right now. Start right now to think about how you can complete your PhD in a smooth and socially safe manner.

I know you see this as an extension of your research life and I understand the concern, but this is stretching it.

While you can't do anything to influence departmental politics, there's no reason you can't try to just build a good rapport with this researcher, so that in the event that they do move, you may have a collaborator even if they're not in the same university.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the responses. The old faculty member ended up giving in and started moving his stuff out of the space. But even though it all worked out, I still wish I hadn't sent that email. The anxiety was too much to bear.