SUNY Buffalo - PhD in Visual Studies

gleefullygloomy

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with applying to the PhD in Visual Studies at SUNY Buffalo. The program looks super competitive (they only accept two students), and I am wondering how rigorous the application process is. From what I can tell it seems pretty straightforward, but I don't necessarily want to shell out money for the GRE for one school (this one of two American schools I am seriously considering).

I had a professor that graduated from SUNY Buffalo some time ago, and met one of the faculty members a few years back. Both nice people, but wasn't especially interested partly because it was a fairly new program and partly because it seems at the time they had an emphasis on research relating to gender studies, sexuality, the body etc., none of which are interests of mine. Have you considered University of Rochester? I've repeatedly heard they have the best and oldest visual studies PhD program. 

That program is very much interested in gender and sexuality studies as it relates to visual studies, Jonathan Katz the Director, is internationally known for his research and curatorial work in this area. He is great and very responsive to questions, I recommend you email him directly, I did and he called me back on the phone (amazing) as well as emailed me, very kind of him. My interests ultimately were not a match as I am looking for a practice based artistic research program and theirs is too small to accommodate that. You might also look at Harvard (if you are into film), MIT (if you are into tech), UC Santa Cruz, and UC San Diego if you want to do something in the states. However, UC and Harvard both require the GRE, something I have not been able to accept, so that has kept me from applying. I have refocused on Europe where testing companies do not own the admissions process. I did talk to a Professor of Art History at Boston University about why the GRE, he told me he hates it and doesn't really consider it (though BU also requires it), the most important factor in admission success is direct engagement with the faculty (before and during application submission) and research match with faculty interests. He indicated that personal and direct connection between applicants, best of luck! and faculty is paramount for success in the process. I also talked to UC Santa Cruz about my concerns regarding the GRE and its relevance, they said please be sure to take it, please spend no money on test prep, please don't worry about it, the test is required by ALL UC graduate schools but not really a factor in our admissions. Still, it makes me mad I have to pay big $$$ to take it just to apply. Hope this might help, best of LUCK!