How can I get into a speech language pathology as a psychology bachelors degree graduate and not having to take the GRE?

Hello,

I'm in a difficult situation. My parents can't cosign for me to go to a post bacc program and take the prerequisite courses to apply to a masters in speech language pathology. I graduated college as a psychology major and found out too late that I no longer wanted to pursue the psychology field. I'm also taking kaplan and can't pass the GRE decently. Does anyone have advice? 

Are there programs in other countries that would take me? I was thinking maybe Canada or Puerto Rico?

I need to start applying within the next month and don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you. 

Hello,

I'm in a difficult situation. My parents can't cosign for me to go to a post bacc program and take the prerequisite courses to apply to a masters in speech language pathology. I graduated college as a psychology major and found out too late that I no longer wanted to pursue the psychology field. I'm also taking kaplan and can't pass the GRE decently. Does anyone have advice? 

Are there programs in other countries that would take me? I was thinking maybe Canada or Puerto Rico?

I need to start applying within the next month and don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you. 

What made you decide to switch to SLP?  How was your undergrad GPA?  Competition for grad school spots is extremely tough.  While there are programs that don't require the GRE, it might be tough to find one that also allows for an out-of-fielder with no post-bacc work completed.  Also are you flexible as far as moving?  I've heard Canadian schools are tougher because they have even fewer programs than we do in the U.S.  I've never heard anyone mention programs in Mexico - so not sure about that.

Hello,

Thank you. 

no offense, when i read the title my first thought was like actually... GOOD LUCK. however im in the same situation. my list mentioned there is quite helpful

as of right now, LOMA LINDA, is the only american school that fits that description. their 3 year program doesnt require a GRE or any pre reqs. if u have any questions, feel free to message me

also have u done any research?

mexico or perto rico are not countries that are 'accepted' as part of the 'mutual agreement'

here is the current list, and it probably wont change for a while

Edited by alissavar

Puerto Rico is part of the US and has schools accredited by ASHA. Why do you need your parents need to cosign?

Anyway, I would look into Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and Ireland. If you want to go ASAP, you can still apply for spring admit at some Australia and New Zealand schools. I am applying to some schools in Australia. I found ISA degrees abroad helpful with applications, and if you apply through an agent many schools waive app fees. Good luck!

Probably not what you want to hear, but why don't you spend a year prepping? It's hard to find a school (sans Loma Linda) that doesn't require the GRE, or pre-reqs. You could easily work and gain experience (like in ABA), take some pre-reqs with that money (as CrimsonWife stated), study more for the GRE, and volunteer to gain experience. 

What was your GRE score? Your experience? GPA? 

Honestly, my first thought when reading this is how do you know you want to do SLP? Taking some time off to do pre-reqs and gain experience wouldn't be a bad idea. It could also boost your apps as it can be extremely difficult to get accepted to a program, not only here but abroad also. If you're bilingual Puerto Rico could give you a better shot! 

Puerto Rico is part of the US and has schools accredited by ASHA. Why do you need your parents need to cosign?

Anyway, I would look into Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and Ireland. If you want to go ASAP, you can still apply for spring admit at some Australia and New Zealand schools. I am applying to some schools in Australia. I found ISA degrees abroad helpful with applications, and if you apply through an agent many schools waive app fees. Good luck!

ive never heard of schools in puerto rico as thats not part of my interest. but if it is, good. 

ive never heard of schools in puerto rico as thats not part of my interest. but if it is, good. 

I looked into it, because I speak Spanish and it is almost like studying abroad, but with all conveniences of studying in the US. There are actuallyt hree accredited by ASHA:

Carlos Albizu University

Universidad del Turabo

University of Puerto Rico, San Juan

According to Edfind, all three require the  GRE or EXADEP (like the GRE but in Spanish), so they won't work for the OP.

I looked into it, because I speak Spanish and it is almost like studying abroad, but with all conveniences of studying in the US. There are actuallyt hree accredited by ASHA:

Carlos Albizu University

Universidad del Turabo

University of Puerto Rico, San Juan

According to Edfind, all three require the  GRE or EXADEP (like the GRE but in Spanish), so they won't work for the OP.

good to know. puerto rico would probably be fun to study in... too bad its not an option