can anyone please decipher this? SOS

bittersweet

I am waiting to hear about my dream school.

I have been in touch with my would-be supervisor and the head of the department for months. In fact, the head of the dep has been super nice and accomodating, sometimes even emailing me on his own accord just to tip me off about things.

Anyway, I couldn't stand the suspense so I emailed would-be supervisor.

He advised me he already assesed my file and passed on a recommendation. That's all I got from him.

Then in panic, I emailed the head of the dept, and he emailed me back:

you did well to meet with $%%## (name of would be supervisor). I assure you your file reflects your accomplishments very well. I cannot tell you anything else.

Can anyone here help me decipher this?

do they mean I'm rejected? that they're not impressed with my records and academic works?

Please, anyone?

The good news is that I do not think it means anything about whether you got in or not. I think that is just their polite way of telling you to take a chill pill!

Seriously, though. I am waiting, too, so I can sympathize with you as to how badly it sucks (I swear I reload the survey home page about...oh....every hour....just. in. case. one. person. from. chicago. writes.), but put yourself in THEIR shoes for a moment (it's good practice, anyway, since you will perhaps be a faculty member one day, too): they are ridiculously busy people. They've got classes to teach, books to write, students to advise, papers to grade, research to do, conferences to go to, grants to get, tenure to fight for, elbows to rub, etc. etc. etc. Most professors easily work 80+ hours a week. How much time do you think they have to comfort every one of us poor, waiting schmucks?

What I would recommend at this point is to wait. And do NOT e-mail them any more than absolutely necessary.

Just my 2cents.

I think it's their way of saying that while they found your application to be impressive, they aren't ready to announce decisions either way. This could indicate that you made at least the first cut, and they are in the process of finalizing a decision or it could simply mean that they have a strict protocol for notifying applicants. I don't think you can tell either way from that email,though.

Thank you guys.

"history?", you just made me laugh, which is a huge accomplishement these days.

I know they're busy. I have been corresponding and meeting with them for almost a year now, so I thought, oh, well, just one more email, can't hurt, eh?

So I guess that was my cue to go stand in the corner facing the wall for a while...

:wink:

Let's hope decision making ends soon for them, so it can start for us, poor waiting shmucks...

Yeah, no kidding. Here are the things I tell myself, which help. Err...More or less.

1) If I am still waiting, that means I am still in the running.

2) Fear, doubt, nervousness, and gut wrenching anxiety are all sensations I should get used to now.

3) This is the last time I will actually be twiddling my thumbs for the next 7 years. I should enjoy it.

Then there are some other ones in there, too, but they are just not as uplifting.

Yeah, no kidding. Here are the things I tell myself, which help. Err...More or less.

1) If I am still waiting, that means I am still in the running.

2) Fear, doubt, nervousness, and gut wrenching anxiety are all sensations I should get used to now.

3) This is the last time I will actually be twiddling my thumbs for the next 7 years. I should enjoy it.

Then there are some other ones in there, too, but they are just not as uplifting.

4) Having a jaded attitude going in means there will be no rude surprises?

100% agreement here. Last year when I applied I made sure I had a backup plan I would love. Now sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't be happier doing that than I am in grad school (note: everyone has bad school days).

It's the waiting that is admittedly the worst part of this entire process...especially after your friends start getting offers, although they have applied to different universities and programs, and you cannot expect your university to follow the same schedule ...that's when anticipation turns to anxiety. I wonder if others feel the same way :?:

I need help with deciphering too.

My potential advisor emailed me and asked me to re-request one of my letters of rec. from the professor doing it. I did so and the professor submitted the rec. The next day the acedemic assistant working with the graduate committee emailed, said they had reviewed my app and invited me to their graduate recruitment weekend, but I have still not heard anything about acceptance. I don't want to get ahead of myself but don't see why they would pay for me to visit if they didn't want me to attend their school...

Am I assuming too much? would it be wrong to email back and ask if she knows when I might hear about admissions? (Ga. Tech has rolling admissions so there really isn't a timeline)

My potential advisor emailed me and asked me to re-request one of my letters of rec. from the professor doing it. I did so and the professor submitted the rec. The next day the acedemic assistant working with the graduate committee emailed, said they had reviewed my app and invited me to their graduate recruitment weekend, but I have still not heard anything about acceptance. I don't want to get ahead of myself but don't see why they would pay for me to visit if they didn't want me to attend their school...

Am I assuming too much? would it be wrong to email back and ask if she knows when I might hear about admissions? (Ga. Tech has rolling admissions so there really isn't a timeline)

I don't think you're assuming too much. IMO the invite is a VERY positive sign, otherwise, why would they invite you on their expense if they intend to reject you?

If that is the case and you were accepted - please accept my warmest congrats!

Turns out they aren't going to make any acceptance decisions until after the weekend...so I don't know if I'm in or not, but I'm going to choose to see it as positive that they've invited me down...

Although all this waiting is indeed driving me bonkers.

100% agreement here. Last year when I applied I made sure I had a backup plan I would love. Now sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't be happier doing that than I am in grad school (note: everyone has bad school days).

Heh, my backup plan if I didn't get in anywhere was to move to Amsterdam and write. I can picture myself having occasional days next year where I'd wished I'd gone through with that ;-)

I don't think you're assuming too much. I actually had the situation a couple of weeks ago where I received a "hope to see you at recruitment weekend, and by the way, here's some fellowship details" informal email from the chair of a department but no official admission email or letter, which made me paranoid that they had mixed me up with someone else. As it turns out, the hard copy of the letter and two separate official admissions emails (one general admission and one with my fellowship package breakdown) all managed to be lost in transit. So yeah, it definitely doesn't hurt to ask.

And if you're invited to recruitment weekend, doesn't that mean that they're trying to, well, recruit you? Thus implying that not only did you get in, but you should be expecting a fairly competitive financial offer?

Hopefully one of you can help me deciphering this:

I was accepted to this university and now they are inviting me to come for this welcome/information event. They say they would help with paying for my travel. and later they mention travel reimbursement. I would be flying in from Europe right before Easter, which means EXPENSIVE tickets! I just cannot afford going, unless they actually pay a huge chunk of it. What do you think the "help" comment means? Part of plane ticket, plane ticket, or even some accommodation?

P.S. It is Harvard, so they should have money, right?

NYU are paying my flight over from the UK plus a little extra for taxis, meals etc. Mind you, I've agreed to be reimbursed, placing me temporarily, yet firmly in the red!

I'm sure Harvard should do something similar. Ask.

I just found out that they are only paying up to 600$. I know, this is not little, but if my flight costs 900$ (its right before easter) and if I have to pay for accommodation, food, travel, I don't think I can afford this.

I know the decision on where to go to grad school will be for the next 5 years, but then, is it really such a life-changing decision if you decide between Harvard and Yale. Both will be good, both have advantages and disadvantages...

What is your opinion or advice?

Hmmmm, Where I live is really important to me. In fact my order of what's important is match with program followed by where I live and only then do I look at the school's reputation. They should accomodate you too - NYU are putting me up with students. Have you checked this out?

There are cheap alternatives for lodging. Many schools have a "faculty house" or "grad house" where visiting scholars can room. It is basically a dorm, but the cost might only be $30 a night. Or, you can get in touch with other students who will be visiting and offer to share lodging, thus sharing the cost. Much of the food (though not all) will probably be supplied in the form of a dinner one night, food at lectures you get to attend, etc. etc. It is possible to get at least half your meals this way.

Yeah, you'll still have to pay some stuff, but there are ways to mitigate the cost. If possible, visit both schools during the trip. Maybe you can get both to reimburse you in part, thus making up the cost of the whole thing.