Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

42 minutes ago, worryandhope said:

Any thoughts on drawing conclusions from the Northwestern admissions? I applied and it's my top choice as far as fit, but I didn't hear anything. Anyone else marking it down as a rejection? 

I also heard about my acceptance directly from my POI, who reached out to me.  So I agree with ultraultra: don't worry about it too much just yet.

10 minutes ago, orb_cz said:

I also heard about my acceptance directly from my POI, who reached out to me.  So I agree with ultraultra: don't worry about it too much just yet.

Well thanks for the reassurance, guys. I still think I'll be stopping for a bottle of wine on the way home. Ultratultra, you're exactly right about more information. I only allow myself to check this site while I'm at work, so maybe I'll feel better in a bit. 

4 minutes ago, worryandhope said:

Well thanks for the reassurance, guys. I still think I'll be stopping for a bottle of wine on the way home. Ultratultra, you're exactly right about more information. I only allow myself to check this site while I'm at work, so maybe I'll feel better in a bit. 

Wine seems to be a good idea for tonight, thanks worryandhope! I just can't get my mind off this spree of Northwestern and Berkeley acceptances :(

31 minutes ago, Khaari said:

Wine seems to be a good idea for tonight, thanks worryandhope! I just can't get my mind off this spree of Northwestern and Berkeley acceptances :(

If Berkeley is really out I'm going for the wine as well. Still says "submitted" on the page, can't be good.

At least the Emory interview went ok-ish. They'll make decisions by the end of next week latest.

I really wouldn't worry about the Berkeley posts. I am of the strong belief someone is trolling....specifically trolling me because i have mentioned to a few that I am worried about my stats.....but I liked to jump to the troll conclusion and might just be clinging to hope.

Edited by Straightoutta

4 minutes ago, ultraultra said:

Woah.. based on the latest results search post, I'd guess that at least one PSR person is descending upon grad cafe with guns'a'blazin

PSR people are the worst. I hope I never become one.

Edited by Moofasa

2 minutes ago, Moofasa said:

PSR people are the worst. 

What's PSR? Also, can the same user post more than once with the same university name on the survey page? Curious about how legit the Berkeley posts are

I mean I think it was/is a good wakeup call about the state of the job market and how disgruntled a lot of ABDs and junior faculty are, it's important to understand the gravity of those things before pursuing a PhD. But there's also just a lot of misinformation on there, not to mention sexism/racism/homophobia/transphobia, and more. 

Edited by ultraultra

17 minutes ago, ultraultra said:

I mean I think it was/is a good wakeup call about the state of the job market and how disgruntled a lot of ABDs and junior faculty are, it's important to understand the gravity of those things before pursuing a PhD. But there's also just a lot of misinformation on there, not to mention sexism/racism/homophobia/transphobia, and more. 

Agreed! I've seen a different side of things after sitting on two hiring committees at my current department (BA + MA in the same place), and in talking to faculty about the state of the field. There's a lot of politics to the profession as well - including sexism. I didn't really feel it until my MA, but it's definitely there.

29 minutes ago, PizzaCat93 said:

Just got an acceptance email with funding offer from Northwestern Graduate Coordinator. :D

WOW congratulations! Its ranked 32nd in the world so definitely a great achievement! Best of Luck!

15 minutes ago, shane94 said:

So is the consensus that the reported Berkeley admits on the survey page are trolls? 

I think so? I still just see "submitted," and haven't seen anything in my inbox either way.