Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

I'd second that and say definitely go to visit. There's some insights you can't get over the phone/through email, including whether you'll like to live in the place, what vibe you get from people at the department, etc.

In general, placement is extremely important. But if it's just a minor difference in placement record between the two (I wouldn't know, but I'm sure you have the data), then that won't help much in the decision.

In my experience, talking to grad students can be very valuable, because they'll often be more frank than faculty who're trying to sell their school to you.

Good luck!

5 minutes ago, cgfren08 said:

Seems as though, for its rank, Brown is disproportionately hard to get into

Yep. I think it ranks in the Top 40, and Top 15 in Theory (The field I applied for). 

It's unfortunate, but what can ya do. 

7 hours ago, PizzaCat93 said:

What's your subfield? I'm in CP, and I'll be declining my acceptance. 

maybe it'll work out in my favor. I'm CP and haven't heard a peep from Georgetown.

37 minutes ago, sarah91 said:

Hi everyone, just received an acceptance from UCR, with a Chancellor's Fellowship! The funding table they emailed me only includes the first two academic years of study...anyone know if that means funding is only available for those two years?

Many people don't take classes after Year 2. So the tuition waiver usually ends after Year 2. However, if you get nothing (i.e. stipend, insurance) after Year 2, that means your study is not funded. Make sure with your department on the details because unfunded programs are a red flag to go to 

On 2/23/2016 at 7:28 PM, Tvent1986 said:

Hey Guys, do you have any information about Notre dame? Have they already contacted all the accepted? 

Thanks!

I'm wondering too. They seem to have sent out a few acceptances and rejections. Though, as I'm sure you're aware, on the results search page people have been saying formal acceptance letters will be emailed tomorrow. Can anyone claim one of the posts - either admit or otherwise? Fingers crossed for both of us!

5 hours ago, sarah91 said:

Hi everyone, just received an acceptance from UCR, with a Chancellor's Fellowship! The funding table they emailed me only includes the first two academic years of study...anyone know if that means funding is only available for those two years?

This is something to ask the administrators about - they should be able to give you clear information about all years, and you should be very concerned if they cannot give you guarantees beyond year 2. 

4 hours ago, s1994 said:

Many people don't take classes after Year 2. So the tuition waiver usually ends after Year 2. However, if you get nothing (i.e. stipend, insurance) after Year 2, that means your study is not funded. Make sure with your department on the details because unfunded programs are a red flag to go to 

A) This is not true, in many departments people choose to still take classes after year 2, for example to get more methods training, B ) even if you are not taking classes, you generally have to pay some tuition fee to be registered as a student, and this can be a non-trivial amount.

11 hours ago, MauBicara said:

I read an article about exactly this by someone who studied the grad school admissions process; it seems many departments are also concerned about the ratio of offers accepted to offers made as a metric of performance. 

Its just like what we do to them. A PhD aspirant generally applies, on average in 9 programs. Of those nine, 3 are reach, 3 are best fits, 3 are safeties. 

5 hours ago, sarah91 said:

Funding table includes Living allowance and fee remission both? 

Maybe its just for fee and there are no fees after two years. The best deal is to call them up on it, the program co-coordinator. 

Hi,

Anyone here who got admitted to Colorado Boulder but doesn't intent to go there. Has Colorado boulder given some deadline by which the accepted candidates are supposed to confirm their acceptance. What is it, if anybody doesn't mind sharing?

I see some forum members' signature with multiple accepts and some universities are definitely far better than Colorado. And the randomness of the process is mind boggling. Some people get accepted at far better universities but some above average universities doesn't offer them admission. 

8 minutes ago, yasir8959 said:

(Apologies for irrelevance)

Any information regarding Syracuse, American & Arizona Public policy/Admin decisions. I'd appreciate some info on that. 

American University SIS ? If you check their site it has a decision letter.

29 minutes ago, Jak220 said:

I dont think that PhD Public poicy and administration is dealt by American SIS. I dont have an account on it either. I have that generic app.yourself account for PhD public admin/policy. 

35 minutes ago, Jak220 said:

Does one use his app.yourself portal used & PW to log into SIS? I have no idea how it works. Please enlighten. My Username & PW of app.yourself doesn't work there. 

11 hours ago, Straussian Dogmatist said:

I'm wondering too. They seem to have sent out a few acceptances and rejections. Though, as I'm sure you're aware, on the results search page people have been saying formal acceptance letters will be emailed tomorrow. Can anyone claim one of the posts - either admit or otherwise? Fingers crossed for both of us!

Someone in the results search page said that they relesead just a few acceptances and rejections, and that they still have more to come very soon. Lets see! 

6 hours ago, yasir8959 said:

Hi,

Anyone here who got admitted to Colorado Boulder but doesn't intent to go there. Has Colorado boulder given some deadline by which the accepted candidates are supposed to confirm their acceptance. What is it, if anybody doesn't mind sharing?

I see some forum members' signature with multiple accepts and some universities are definitely far better than Colorado. And the randomness of the process is mind boggling. Some people get accepted at far better universities but some above average universities doesn't offer them admission. 

I've declined my offer, but the deadline to do so is not until April 15. Also, my subfield is CP, so I don't know if that helps you at all. 

9 hours ago, reasonablepie said:

This is something to ask the administrators about - they should be able to give you clear information about all years, and you should be very concerned if they cannot give you guarantees beyond year 2. 

A) This is not true, in many departments people choose to still take classes after year 2, for example to get more methods training, B ) even if you are not taking classes, you generally have to pay some tuition fee to be registered as a student, and this can be a non-trivial amount.

Well -- I just checked. You are right. Departments that accepted me are all giving me money for tuition even when it's Years 4 and 5 

But I think my original point was not invalid -- if UCR doesn't give the applicant stipends after year 2, then he should consider elsewhere or apply next year

Edited by s1994

17 hours ago, IndEnth said:

I'd second that and say definitely go to visit. There's some insights you can't get over the phone/through email, including whether you'll like to live in the place, what vibe you get from people at the department, etc.

In general, placement is extremely important. But if it's just a minor difference in placement record between the two (I wouldn't know, but I'm sure you have the data), then that won't help much in the decision.

In my experience, talking to grad students can be very valuable, because they'll often be more frank than faculty who're trying to sell their school to you.

Good luck!

Was wondering if you received an e-mail from UCI in terms of their funding package. I'm still waiting on mine! 

11 hours ago, reasonablepie said:

Thank you for the input guys. I have arranged a phone call with the program coordinator for today to sort things out. But yeah, it seems as if the only financial aid I will be getting beyond year 2 would be a TAship. 

2 hours ago, Birdie said:

Public Policy/Admin at American is handled by the School of Public Affairs. Your application should have been submitted through their Apply Yourself portal. Log in there and check to see if a decision has been posted.

No update there. I talked to program director. He told me to expect it between mid to ate feb. Its about time. 

26 minutes ago, sarah91 said:

Thank you for the input guys. I have arranged a phone call with the program coordinator for today to sort things out. But yeah, it seems as if the only financial aid I will be getting beyond year 2 would be a TAship. 

Good luck with it. Do tell how it turns out!