Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

We've only seen one acceptance to Berk.  I also think that if you see acceptances and hear nothing, its prolly a rejection, but sometimes they do seem to send them one by one.  I won't put myself into the "likely rejection" pile until I see a few more. 

I think Berkeley sent out more acceptance emails.

I don't get in, but congrats for the winners.

I got rejected so far all schools. Thought I had a good shot for all schools, but this is it.

Any suggestion after all rejection, guys? 

Edited by panama

Happened to me last year, and I reapplied.  If it happens again, I'm out.  

But don't take it personally.  This is an incredibly noisy process, with far too many qualified applicants than there are spots.  It sucks not getting in, but there is always next cycle and you can always find ways to enjoy your life that involve making more than 20 grand a year and spending all your time alone in the library.  

6 minutes ago, panama said:

I think Berkeley sent out more acceptance emails.

I don't get in, but congrats for the winners.

I got rejected so far all schools. Thought I had a good shot for all schools, but this is it.

Any suggestion after all rejection, guys? 

It's a strange and random process. If you haven't heard from everywhere, then stay strong and don't let the pessimism take over. If you have, then do three things: 1. Realize that this isn't a judgement on you or your quality as a person, researcher or intellectual; 2. Consider whether the Ph.D. is the best path; and if so, 3. Shore up the application and try again.

I can speak from experience---you can come back from rejections to a good program and then (eventually) a good academic job. 

9 minutes ago, wpg205 said:

Happened to me last year, and I reapplied.  If it happens again, I'm out.  

But don't take it personally.  This is an incredibly noisy process, with far too many qualified applicants than there are spots.  It sucks not getting in, but there is always next cycle and you can always find ways to enjoy your life that involve making more than 20 grand a year and spending all your time alone in the library.  

Thanks for the suggestion. This is my first year to apply, but I already have had a gap year (Working as a RA in one of top UCs & worked as RA for one of HYPS).

I got the highest honors from one of the top UCs in poli sci department. GRE V 159 Q 166 4.0. Summa Cum Laude.

I expected to get it at least one, and I need to wait for 5 more apps, but they are HYPS and UCs.

I think I am fcked this year.

One thing is I'm an international student. I think UC does not admit internationals in this year because of funding. That's what I heard from UC professors that I am working for now. 

well........ if I wait one more year Ill be late 20s. Kinda old.

Edited by panama

2 minutes ago, panama said:

if I wait one more year Ill be late 20s. Kinda old.

Don't say that - I AM late 20s and claiming that I'm not too old yet ;)

In fact, in the interviews I've had so far, professors told me that my experience and maturity (which are partially a function of my age) are two of the things they value the most. So - don't give up!

Edited by IndEnth

3 minutes ago, IndEnth said:

Don't say that - I AM late 20s and claiming that I'm not too old yet ;)

In fact, in the interviews I've had so far, professors told me that my experience and maturity (which are partially a function of my age) are two of the things they value the most. So - don't give up!

Thanks. We will see. Though because of the financial reason, if I fail this year, I should start to find a job rather than working in the research area. 

Thanks again.

12 minutes ago, panama said:

I expected to get it at least one, and I need to wait for 5 more apps, but they are HYPS and UCs.

I think I am fcked this year.

Believe me, I've been there and my stats aren't NEARLY as good as yours. With that application, I would think you stand a very good chance at HYPS (but the giant elephant in the room is that no one here knows. We're all just speculating. About everything.) Bottom line, contingency plans are good, but I'm not sure it's time to panic yet. 

5 minutes ago, panama said:

Hmmm no U or I at all from UCB. I expected this, but too late. lol.

When it comes to the reality, it's very disappointing.

I know. I've also heard from UC profs that UC Berkeley is the last to change the policy that excludes foreign students from funding, after the others made the change like 2 years ago. Didn't keep me from trying nevertheless...

1 minute ago, worryandhope said:

Believe me, I've been there and my stats aren't NEARLY as good as yours. With that application, I would think you stand a very good chance at HYPS (but the giant elephant in the room is that no one here knows. We're all just speculating. About everything.) Bottom line, contingency plans are good, but I'm not sure it's time to panic yet. 

lol Thanks again. But my adviser (one of UCs committee in this year) told me that probably not this year. I think I applied too many top-tier schools. My miscalculation.

Though I already rejected from a bit lower tier schools, so....

I am just low today... Good luck for you guys

1 minute ago, Determinedandnervous said:

I claim the Pittsburgh admit :) Anyone else get in?

Almost applied for Pittsburgh. Congratulations! Did they mention anything about funding?