Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

12 minutes ago, ViniciusMJ said:

My question now is: after a Northwestern rejection and a highly probable rejection from NYU, how much of a chance could I have with my Ivy League applications?

( ) None
( ) No way in hell
( ) What were you thinking?
( ) Why bother, let's drink!
( ) Hope is the last to die. Wait for it.

Hope is the last to die. Wait for it.

40 minutes ago, ViniciusMJ said:

My question now is: after a Northwestern rejection and a highly probable rejection from NYU, how much of a chance could I have with my Ivy League applications?

( ) None
( ) No way in hell

Are we talking Harvard/Yale Ivy or Brown/UPenn Ivy? ;) 

Regardless — we've got snow and classes are canceled. I pick let's drink!

1 minute ago, elwright said:

Are we talking Harvard/Yale Ivy or Brown/UPenn Ivy? ;) 

Regardless — we've got snow and classes are canceled. I pick let's drink!

We're talking HYPC. Here we got intense heat, all the more reason to drink! :)

36 minutes ago, cgfren08 said:

Hoping for results from Syracuse, Brown, maybe Oregon soon. 

Looks like Syracuse arrives toward the end of Feb. I should expect to hear from MIT and Minnesota before big orange. Any other Minnesota applicants? A lot of people speak highly of the Minneapolis–Saint Paul region — I wouldn't mind a visit.

Am I the only one who is annoyed by the editorializing on the results page? I really don't care that your "parent's pressured you into applying for PhD programs". Side note, are you twelve? Being funny is one thing - but the results page doesn't seem like the place to complain/ make excuses/ jabber. You've got a whole forum here for that. 

I am just wondering as if no answer or a delayed answer should be treated as a rejection.

One of my friend studying at Victoria University Melbourne shared that when she got scholarship she was informed after 3 months plus 3 weeks. And one of her friend's who got scholarship at University of Tasmania was informed after 4 months.

When I had applied at ANU, I was informed after 3.5 months.

Another colleague of mine shared that when the program is good, it always give funding to all applicants so if your academic profile is strong but still you have not been awarded fully funded scholarship then that is sure sign of program's being incompetent -- the university actually lacks basic resource to make the program strong or its not designed as per the standards---

58 minutes ago, ViniciusMJ said:

( ) None
( ) No way in hell

Such a creative applicant shouldn't be in the rejection stack, atleast in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, elwright said:

Looks like Syracuse arrives toward the end of Feb. I should expect to hear from MIT and Minnesota before big orange. Any other Minnesota applicants? A lot of people speak highly of the Minneapolis–Saint Paul region — I wouldn't mind a visit.

You made it to boulder? What did they tel you regarding putting down your confirmation deposit and other stuff,if you wouldn't mind sharing?

4 minutes ago, worryandhope said:

Am I the only one who is annoyed by the editorializing on the results page? I really don't care that your "parent's pressured you into applying for PhD programs". Side note, are you twelve? Being funny is one thing - but the results page doesn't seem like the place to complain/ make excuses/ jabber. You've got a whole forum here for that. 

I'm amused, myself. Also: Whose parents pressure them into applying for a graduate degree in political science? Med school, sure, maybe. But this field?

1 minute ago, elwright said:

I'm amused, myself. Also: Whose parents pressure them into applying for a graduate degree in political science? Med school, sure, maybe. But this field?

I tell my parents I want to get a PhD in political science and they look at me like I have three heads.

3 minutes ago, kaneross said:

Such a creative applicant shouldn't be in the rejection stack, atleast in my opinion.

Should've cracked jokes like that when explaining my otherwise uninteresting research topic in my SoP. "Hey, my Harvard fellas -- we both know I am wasting dollars on you. Might as well make us laugh." :D

3 minutes ago, ViniciusMJ said:

Should've cracked jokes like that when explaining my otherwise uninteresting research topic in my SoP. "Hey, my Harvard fellas -- we both know I am wasting dollars on you. Might as well make us laugh." :D

Its nice to have you around. You have a way with words. Hey, there always PhD options in literature and lingual transformation in tech age :D

1 minute ago, ezra123 said:

I tell my parents I want to get a PhD in political science and they look at me like I have three heads.

3 minutes ago, elwright said:

11 minutes ago, worryandhope said:

Sorry to interrupt the conversation you guys having but I respectfully disagree -- Parents are innocent people, no matter at what age you are -- they are always concerned about your future. If they see daily your confused expressions, you're sitting idle, your frustration about your future goals --they just cannot see you like that -- They seriously want to see you successful and so they do things according to their own perceptions of what is better for you. 

4 minutes ago, yasir8959 said:

You made it to boulder? What did they tel you regarding putting down your confirmation deposit and other stuff,if you wouldn't mind sharing?

For travel expenses for the open house, you mean? Told to book my own flight, they reimburse up to $250, plus one night's stay at the swanky Boulder Inn.

4 minutes ago, ezra123 said:

LOL.

Just now, yasir8959 said:

Its nice to have you around. You have a way with words. Hey, there always PhD options in literature and lingual transformation in tech age :D

I already abandoned Literary Theory, made my MA in that field. Maybe that is why I am failing. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, well, it will never be a goose.

2 minutes ago, kaneross said:

Sorry to interrupt the conversation you guys having but I respectfully disagree -- Parents are innocent people, no matter at what age you are -- they are always concerned about your future. If they see daily your confused expressions, you're sitting idle, your frustration about your future goals --they just cannot see you like that -- They seriously want to see you successful and so they do things according to their own perceptions of what is better for you. 

I am really only joking. My parents encourage me to do whatever it is that I want with my life. What I meant is that the idea of spending more time in school studying something that's rather abstract is somewhat foreign to my parents who grew up in a generation where you graduate, get a job, work for X number of years, retire, etc. People have different ideas of "success" and there do appear to be strong differences along generational lines. That's all.

2 minutes ago, ViniciusMJ said:

I already abandoned Literary Theory, made my MA in that field. Maybe that is why I am failing. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, well, it will never be a goose.

Impersonating duck. Aim and shoot. 

4 minutes ago, Determinedandnervous said:

Is that a subtle reference to Cheney's hunting incident? :P

And then the impersonating duck went ahead and had a heart attack and i was forced to come clean about it.