University of Michigan Social of Social Work Fall 2016

SWinMI

Hey ya'll

I've been waitlisted for the CBI Scholars program -has this happened to anyone else?

Also, are there any other Dual Degree (MSW+ ___) folks here? If so, which other program are you planning to complete?

hey new UofM students and hopefuls! 

I interviewed with Michigan last week while on their alternative list. Two days after, I received a status update to keep me on the alternative list. Which is good but,  I feel I am continuing the numbers/waiting game. I think they offered admission to their capacity, so now- once people decide not to go, then I may receive admission (or a deferral/denial).

My questions:

To those admitted when is the deadline you need to let Michigan know by?

When is their new student orientation?

When is financial aid finalized?  

Or, if you did send your intent to enroll, is there a chance you/others may change your mind?

I'm not sure if this happens frequently or not. I think some feedback may help me gage if I should continue placement on their alternative list. I am having the issue of deciding whether to continue to hold out on Michigan or attend another MSW Program that actually begins sooner. It's definitely decision making time!

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks and good luck!

3 hours ago, BellSW2016 said:

hey new UofM students and hopefuls! 

I interviewed with Michigan last week while on their alternative list. Two days after, I received a status update to keep me on the alternative list. Which is good but,  I feel I am continuing the numbers/waiting game. I think they offered admission to their capacity, so now- once people decide not to go, then I may receive admission (or a deferral/denial).

My questions:

To those admitted when is the deadline you need to let Michigan know by?

When is their new student orientation?

When is financial aid finalized?  

Or, if you did send your intent to enroll, is there a chance you/others may change your mind?

I'm not sure if this happens frequently or not. I think some feedback may help me gage if I should continue placement on their alternative list. I am having the issue of deciding whether to continue to hold out on Michigan or attend another MSW Program that actually begins sooner. It's definitely decision making time!

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks and good luck!

Hi BellSW2016,

Have you tried speaking with Tim Colenback? He is extremely patient and helpful, and really helped to ease my tension while I waited on admissions and scholarship information.  His direct line is 734-764-5332.

I am sure there are plenty of students that will either be declining or deferring their offers, so I would not give up hope yet. I had my interview back in the end of March, had my case go before the committee about a week later, and received my admissions and scholarship offer about a month later (so the end of April). Although I was never waitlisted, the process was still very nerve racking. I probably called them 5 or 6 times during that month lol.

IMO, they would not continue to waitlist you if there was not a very realistic chance of you getting in.  But you never know, I guess. 

Continue to call the office (maybe every week or so) for updates to show them that you are serious about the program.  Basically show them your in it to win it, wthout annoying them of course haha.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you :) 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:48 PM, beepbop said:

Hey ya'll

I've been waitlisted for the CBI Scholars program -has this happened to anyone else?

Also, are there any other Dual Degree (MSW+ ___) folks here? If so, which other program are you planning to complete?

Hi beepbop. I am thinking of applying to the MPH program at Umich this fall, but have not completely made up my mind yet.  I want to get a better idea of the workload that the (MSW) program entails, and of course finances come into play as well :) 

On Wednesday, May 04, 2016 at 0:11 PM, DavefromGeorgia said:

Hey guys! Has anyone here applied for a re-review for scholarship money? I was granted $8,000 for the first 3 semesters and $15,000 for the last, but as an out of state student, I'm still not sure I can afford this! That is still almost 40,000 grand in debt. ?

Also, I want to introduce myself. My name is David (obviously). I received my undergrad in Public Health from UGA, and have been living and working in Florida for the past few years. I actually applied to Mich on a whim, not really thinking I would get in or be able to afford it if I did, but after researching the program and finding out their macro based program is one of the best, I am pretty sure I will be in Ann Arbor this fall! I have worked in the SUD field for several years now, as through life experience and education, it has become a passion of mine. I've been a long time lurker on these threads, stalking pretty much each and every one of you for the past several months as I have waited to see if I was accepted. I somehow was about two weeks ago, and received my scholarship info soon, after. The tuition is daunting though, and I'm torn between going to FAU in Boca and paying like 3,000 grand per semester or coming to Mich and paying over twice that. But I came up to Ann Arbor for my interview and to tour the school, and pretty much fell in love with it, especially Zingermanns Deli.  ?

Anyway, I am quite sure I'll be attending in the fall, although I am waiting to pay my deposit once I find out a little bit more about other scholarship opportunities that may arise. I look forward to meeting all of you, and thank you so much for answering all my questions this past few months without even knowing it ?

Hey, David! First of all, congrats! I'll be heading to Ann Arbor in the Fall and I'm from Tennessee. I'm looking forward to meeting you if you decide to commit.

Regarding the financial re-review, I had absolutely no luck. I submitted the re-review form in March and finally heard back on Tuesday of this week. I called Tim (he's on the financial aid review committee) and he said they did not have additional funds after the May 15 deadline (this was the final day for people to accept/decline scholarship $$). I was hoping (and kind of expecting) at least $1,000 extra but literally nothing. I swallowed the debt pill and decided to apply for the grad PLUS loan. Tim did say that if any additional funds become available I will be considered. I guess that's not the worst news.

I'm also going to continue looking into scholarships at U of M and national/local scholarships. There's also the small possibility that your field placement will offer a stipend. I think 2 out of the 6 I applied for had stipends or reimbursements. And there's also a chance you could do research with a faculty member. I did that during undergrad and luckily walked out with no debt. Anything is possible. At this point, I'm hoping everything works out for the best and that this entire experience is worth the financial burden.

On 5/19/2016 at 4:58 PM, BrendonSW said:

Hey, David! First of all, congrats! I'll be heading to Ann Arbor in the Fall and I'm from Tennessee. I'm looking forward to meeting you if you decide to commit.

Regarding the financial re-review, I had absolutely no luck. I submitted the re-review form in March and finally heard back on Tuesday of this week. I called Tim (he's on the financial aid review committee) and he said they did not have additional funds after the May 15 deadline (this was the final day for people to accept/decline scholarship $$). I was hoping (and kind of expecting) at least $1,000 extra but literally nothing. I swallowed the debt pill and decided to apply for the grad PLUS loan. Tim did say that if any additional funds become available I will be considered. I guess that's not the worst news.

I'm also going to continue looking into scholarships at U of M and national/local scholarships. There's also the small possibility that your field placement will offer a stipend. I think 2 out of the 6 I applied for had stipends or reimbursements. And there's also a chance you could do research with a faculty member. I did that during undergrad and luckily walked out with no debt. Anything is possible. At this point, I'm hoping everything works out for the best and that this entire experience is worth the financial burden.

Hey BrendonSW,

I noticed you were from Murfreesboro. Just a couple hours drive north of where I used to live. I have many friends in that area who went to MTSU and Vandy. Super conservative, but super beautiful if you find the right group of friends.

I'm sorry to hear about not having any luck with the re-review. Were you offered any other scholarships or special programs?  I am too looking into other scholarships, as the OOST is a killer.

I look forward to meeting you in the fall! 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm looking for housing starting in August and wonder if anyone has any ideas.   I'd like a place that is a very short distance to the school with parking, etc., and with other social work students if possible.  I want to avoid The Landmark (which is very closet the school) and the other apartments like them, as I think they will be too noisy for me and not the right atmosphere for my studies.  My first choice was U of M's Munger Graduate Student Housing but it is full with a 300 person wait-list (:     

Does anyone need a roommate or have any suggestions?  

On 6/24/2016 at 8:47 AM, umichMSW said:

Hi All,

I'm looking for housing starting in August and wonder if anyone has any ideas.   I'd like a place that is a very short distance to the school with parking, etc., and with other social work students if possible.  I want to avoid The Landmark (which is very closet the school) and the other apartments like them, as I think they will be too noisy for me and not the right atmosphere for my studies.  My first choice was U of M's Munger Graduate Student Housing but it is full with a 300 person wait-list (:     

Does anyone need a roommate or have any suggestions?  

I'm from the area and will remain living in Ypsilanti (next town over, about a 15 min drive) throughout the course of the MSW program. I would check out this thread for insight on Ann Arbor as it will provide info on the area and there may be people also looking for a roommate. I also recommend looking through Ann Arbor's Craigslist for housing. A lot of people posting on CL are students, some having preference for grad students/quiet professionals. One thing that I will say is that there is awesome public transportation in Ann Arbor. M Buses do loops every 5 min and the [city's] public transportation's bus system also has pretty frequent routes throughout the day, and "park and ride" lots, too. Many students and employees park their car and shuttle in as parking can be costly. I only say this because there may not be anything in walking distance of the SSW, but something that is a quick bus ride or bike ride away. 

Best of luck in finding housing! ^_^   

On June 25, 2016 at 9:02 PM, Miss_Camilly said:

Hi Miss Camilly!!!   Thank you so much for all of your assistance.  I'm a little behind on getting housing and really appreciate your help.  

• 1 month later...

Anyone else in a situation where they have to be in Ann Arbor for orientation for a week before they can move?

My lease starts September 1st, but my orientation activities literally go from Monday, August 29th to Friday, September 2nd, which is probably mostly the same for all of you.  I suppose I could stay at a hotel for a week and move the following weekend (it's a 3-day weekend due to Labor Day), but that seems pretty stressful with classes starting the following Tuesday!  And I definitely don't want to move in after classes start, although I did successfully pull that off during undergrad.

I'm interested in hearing how others are resolving what I am assuming is a common conflict.

On 8/3/2016 at 3:19 PM, ediblestranger said:

Anyone else in a situation where they have to be in Ann Arbor for orientation for a week before they can move?

My lease starts September 1st, but my orientation activities literally go from Monday, August 29th to Friday, September 2nd, which is probably mostly the same for all of you.  I suppose I could stay at a hotel for a week and move the following weekend (it's a 3-day weekend due to Labor Day), but that seems pretty stressful with classes starting the following Tuesday!  And I definitely don't want to move in after classes start, although I did successfully pull that off during undergrad.

I'm interested in hearing how others are resolving what I am assuming is a common conflict.

Hey @ediblestranger, I was able to negotiate an early move-in with my lease. Unfortunately it's the first day of orientation so I guess I will have to make it a very late night afterwards. Have you been able to find a solution for this yet? It seemed like airbnb was rather expensive.

1 hour ago, KatieJaiYen said:

Hey @ediblestranger, I was able to negotiate an early move-in with my lease. Unfortunately it's the first day of orientation so I guess I will have to make it a very late night afterwards. Have you been able to find a solution for this yet? It seemed like airbnb was rather expensive.

I also have the option of moving in early too - I can move in August 26th versus September 1st FOR AN EXTRA $600.  My lease originally goes from 09/01/16 to 08/18/17 so I strongly suspect that my rental company moves people out early on purpose so they can bust heads on early-move in fees.  Seems a little unscrupulous to me, but at the same time, the alternatives (whether hotel or airbnb) are also very expensive, especially when you consider the cost of traveling back and forth to Ann Arbor first for orientation then to move, rather than just going straight there.  I think I will probably give in and end up paying the extra $600, since I'd really rather not have to move in the weekend after orientation activities/right before classes start.

What day are you registered to attend the new student session?  Are you supposed to move in on the first day of orientation (the 30th) or the new student session that's on the 29th?  If you're talking about the new student session on the 29th, you may be able to move yours to the 15th, 22nd, 23rd, or 25th - although that would probably also require travel and lodging, but at least you'd be able to focus on moving.  If you're talking about orientation on the 30th though, yeah, I guess you'd have to move that evening unless you could stay somewhere until the weekend and move in then.  Maybe get back in touch with your landlord and see if they can let you move in a day sooner?

All of these options suck, lol :(

Are y'all living in apartment complexes, @ediblestranger & @KatieJaiYen? My landlord is letting us move in any time after the 25th for no additional charge, as long as we are okay with them doing some of the cleaning/turnover while we're still in transition. He just has a small property management business, though, so maybe it is just more lax.

I think the social work (or maybe just general grad school) orientation is earlier than the undergraduate calendar, and it seems the town and its rental market is based on undergrads' schedules. My special program orientation starts on Sunday the 28th :mellow:

1 minute ago, ljo377 said:

Are y'all living in apartment complexes, @ediblestranger & @KatieJaiYen? My landlord is letting us move in any time after the 25th for no additional charge, as long as we are okay with them doing some of the cleaning/turnover while we're still in transition. He just has a small property management business, though, so maybe it is just more lax.

I think the social work (or maybe just general grad school) orientation is earlier than the undergraduate calendar, and it seems the town and its rental market is based on undergrads' schedules. My special program orientation starts on Sunday the 28th :mellow:

Wow, that's awesome (re: getting to move in early for free)!  I am living in a mid-sized apartment building owned by a giant rental company.  It's not ideal, but it'll have to do.  I need to email my special program (Integrated Health) and see what's going on with them - so far I haven't heard a peep.

@ediblestranger I am not moving to the region until the weekend of August 27th so I had to do the last new student session on the 29th. I am moving with my partner so he'll be managing the moving, I guess - oh well! It does seem worth it to get yourself settled in a bit early. Did you already do the new student session?

I am in the Global Scholars special program, but we don't have a formal orientation. Just some required meetings after Labor Day. I think all of them are really unique so maybe there aren't full day sessions for integrated health?

On 8/3/2016 at 6:19 PM, ediblestranger said:

Hi. I'm not sure if you've resolved this or not, but I'm pulling this from the SSW's website's FAQ. 

Does the university provide overnight housing for prospective student visits?

Unfortunately no, but a current student in the MSW program may be willing to host you during your stay. Contact the Office of Student Services (734-936-0961 or ssw.msw.info@umich.edu) to inquire about this possibility. There are also a number of hotels in the area to accommodate you. For more information, please visit the U-M Campus Information website.

While this is not a "prospective student visit," I don't see how asking could hurt! It may be worth looking into. Best of luck to you and anyone else going through this. 

On 8/12/2016 at 4:21 PM, KatieJaiYen said:

@ediblestranger I am not moving to the region until the weekend of August 27th so I had to do the last new student session on the 29th. I am moving with my partner so he'll be managing the moving, I guess - oh well! It does seem worth it to get yourself settled in a bit early. Did you already do the new student session?

I am in the Global Scholars special program, but we don't have a formal orientation. Just some required meetings after Labor Day. I think all of them are really unique so maybe there aren't full day sessions for integrated health?

I'm also doing the new student session on the 29th.  Still no word on Integrated Health activities, but there is a section of orientation that covers special programs in general so maybe they'll discuss it then.  I'm going to shoot them an email just to be sure.  Good luck with your move!  It's great that you have someone to help you move so you can focus on orientation activities!  That is pretty much the only way I can see juggling moving and doing orientation on the same day!

17 hours ago, Miss_Camilly said:

Hi. I'm not sure if you've resolved this or not, but I'm pulling this from the SSW's website's FAQ. 

Does the university provide overnight housing for prospective student visits?

Unfortunately no, but a current student in the MSW program may be willing to host you during your stay. Contact the Office of Student Services (734-936-0961 or ssw.msw.info@umich.edu) to inquire about this possibility. There are also a number of hotels in the area to accommodate you. For more information, please visit the U-M Campus Information website.

While this is not a "prospective student visit," I don't see how asking could hurt! It may be worth looking into. Best of luck to you and anyone else going through this. 

Thank you for the information!  I have decided to move forward with the $600 early move-in on the 26th to avoid rushing around to get moved during or between orientation and classes.  But this seems like a great resource for others on this forum who may find themselves in the same situation!

Just out of curiosity, how did y'all decide who's classes to take?  I have found very few instructor reviews online, and lack the advantage of word-of-mouth that comes with being more integrated into the school community.  There are instructor profiles on the SSW Faculty Directory, but of course that gives little/no indication as to their teaching style.  Since I am in the mentorship program I was able to get some useful information from my mentor, but I'm curious as to how all of you have been making your decisions.  My registration appointment isn't until later today and yet a few of the foundation courses I need are already closed (what?!), but I was told by the Office of Student Services that this is pretty typical.  There is a petition process for closed courses, but it's still frustrating not knowing what's going to happen.  Anyone else in this situation or were you all on your A-game and able to secure the earliest registration appointments? ;)

@ediblestranger

The registration appt. they gave me was July 26, so I registered then. I read through a lot of the old syllabi that are available on the website, as well as professors' bios to try to identify folks who had interesting experience or research interests that seemed relevant to my field. I got a couple recs from folks in the special program cohort above mine. But mostly I was just trying to jigsaw together some course times that fit my schedule since I was trying to fit in free space for two full days of field placement in Detroit, business hours time for work-study, and a required course for my program that is outside the school of social work (and thus doesn't mesh very well with the rest of my schedule) Unfortunately this means evening classes Monday, Tuesday AND Wednesday, but it's just for the semester... :unsure:

1 hour ago, ljo377 said:

@ediblestranger

The registration appt. they gave me was July 26, so I registered then. I read through a lot of the old syllabi that are available on the website, as well as professors' bios to try to identify folks who had interesting experience or research interests that seemed relevant to my field. I got a couple recs from folks in the special program cohort above mine. But mostly I was just trying to jigsaw together some course times that fit my schedule since I was trying to fit in free space for two full days of field placement in Detroit, business hours time for work-study, and a required course for my program that is outside the school of social work (and thus doesn't mesh very well with the rest of my schedule) Unfortunately this means evening classes Monday, Tuesday AND Wednesday, but it's just for the semester... :unsure:

That is a lot to juggle.  I'm not sure I could handle all of that in the first semester, lol!  But we do what we've got to, right?  I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work, and hopefully your subsequent semesters will seem easier by comparison.  I am grateful my field placement doesn't start until winter term.  I have managed to get all day classes so far on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I'm still waiting to hear back re: petitions for two classes that would be on Mondays.  It's still far from the perfect first semester schedule I had hoped for, but apparently that's pretty common.  If evenings are going to be super difficult for you, you might be able to petition to get into some day courses.  I was told that petitions are pretty much the norm and that they set the number of available seats for each class lower than they actually are, as a way of ensuring that those who need a particular course to graduate on time get in.

Thanks @ediblestranger! Honestly it wasn't a problem of being blocked from choosing classes that were full (pretty much everything seemed available when I registered); it was just finding the right schedule mix of times. It was like a puzzle, seriously!

I'm definitely a little anxious about the schedule but hopefully I can make it work.

Frankly more nervous about driving 40 miles to Detroit and back two days a week in the snow...

Which SEED courses are y'all taking? I think it is such a cool idea for a kind of alternative orientation!

Holy crap @ljo377, that sounds tough re: driving to/from Detroit 2 days a week, especially during the winter.  Are you in the 16-month track?  If so, at least you'd just have one real winter to go through.  Hopefully your placement agency will be understanding if you don't feel comfortable to drive some days?  I know when I worked in community mental health the agency never closed due to the weather because they were responsible for clients' medications and payee clients' money, but we never had to come in or go out in the community if we did come in if we didn't feel comfortable driving.

For SEED I am taking 510-009 (Critical Intersectionality).  It's a subject I already feel pretty knowledgeable about, but I'm sure it'll still be interesting.  I really wanted to take 002 (Self-Reflection, Mindfulness and Self-care Strategies) or 005 (Partnering to Promote Whole Health Recovery) but they were full :(

What about you?

Hey friends! I haven't been on here since May, so I wanted to give a quick update. 

I moved to Ann Arbor last week! I'm all set and ready to go for the academic year. I'm very excited to meet you all, so please say hi at orientation if we cross paths! 

I'll be in the Self-Reflection/Mindfulness SEED mini course. 

As for financial aid, I told you all back in April that I appealed my financial aid package from SSW. Originally, I was offered $9,000 for the entire program (advanced standing). At the end of May, my appeal was denied. A week later, my appeal was reversed and I was offered much more. For any folks applying for next fall, do not give up. If there's one thing I learned during this entire process, it's don't give up and keep trying. I was offered enough to cover more than half of my tuition. Initially, only about 10% of my tuition was being covered. Seriously. Don't give up. 

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys. I'm totally introverted, so hopefully being on here will help connect us in person. :) 

@ediblestranger - 20 months (straight through - to accommodate special program requirements) but my other placement will likely be over next summer, so you're right that hopefully I can avoid another winter! Good point! We'll see how it goes...

I'm doing the SEEDS course on "How to Determine Program Impact: Consulting with a Community Agency." And just signed up for the orientation breakout session about art, critical intersectionality and social change in Berlin + Detroit! Social work is cool B)

On 8/21/2016 at 11:39 PM, BrendonSW said:

Hey friends! I haven't been on here since May, so I wanted to give a quick update. 

I moved to Ann Arbor last week! I'm all set and ready to go for the academic year. I'm very excited to meet you all, so please say hi at orientation if we cross paths! 

I'll be in the Self-Reflection/Mindfulness SEED mini course. 

As for financial aid, I told you all back in April that I appealed my financial aid package from SSW. Originally, I was offered $9,000 for the entire program (advanced standing). At the end of May, my appeal was denied. A week later, my appeal was reversed and I was offered much more. For any folks applying for next fall, do not give up. If there's one thing I learned during this entire process, it's don't give up and keep trying. I was offered enough to cover more than half of my tuition. Initially, only about 10% of my tuition was being covered. Seriously. Don't give up. 

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys. I'm totally introverted, so hopefully being on here will help connect us in person. :) 

That's awesome!  I'm glad you were able to get more funding and I'm sure sharing your experience will give more hope to the future stressed out MSW hopefuls lurking on this forum.  How is Ann Arbor?  I'm moving in this Friday and am starting to freak out lol!  Like you, I am a huge introvert so hopefully being on this forum and being in the mentorship program will help me get out of my shell a little bit and make more connections.  BTW, that's one of the mini-courses I wanted to take but by the time I went to register it was full so I'm totally jealous lol.

On 8/22/2016 at 0:59 PM, ljo377 said:

@ediblestranger - 20 months (straight through - to accommodate special program requirements) but my other placement will likely be over next summer, so you're right that hopefully I can avoid another winter! Good point! We'll see how it goes...

I'm doing the SEEDS course on "How to Determine Program Impact: Consulting with a Community Agency." And just signed up for the orientation breakout session about art, critical intersectionality and social change in Berlin + Detroit! Social work is cool B)

Well good luck with everything!  Social work is the coolest.  I signed up for the breakout section on economic inequality and its consequences for children.  My first and second choices were full which seems to be a recurring theme for me.  It's been hard for me to make phone calls at work, I don't know how y'all manage it!  Either way, I take it as a sign that there are a lot of really motivated, passionate students in our cohort which is what I would hope for and expect of this program!