University of Michigan Social of Social Work Fall 2016

SWinMI

1 hour ago, umichMSW said:

Still waiting to here back on acceptance.  It's taking so long I'm bracing for the worst.  This is my only school I want to go to and I thought I had a great application. 

When did you apply and which program did you apply to? I would probably call.

@umichMSW Thanks! As of right now, I'm leaning toward Univ. of Michigan. I received a phone call earlier this week to set up an interview for a GSSA position. If somehow I get the position, I will absolutely commit. 

I was really excited about NYU, but after looking into their program and Michigan's more, Michigan seems like the better fit. My interview is next Thursday, so I'm hoping I'll have a decision made by March 15! 

For anyone who is waiting to hear back from Univ. of Michigan regarding the CBI program or graduate assistantships, I wanted to let you know that I was called to set up an interview for a GA position on Monday. I was e-mailed today saying I was not chosen for the CBI (community-based initiative) program. Maybe this timeline helps some of you who are wondering? 

I also got my financial aid last week from the SW department. This didn't include federal or anything else; just the SW scholarship. I applied on 12/1 and was accepted on 1/21. 

Best of luck, again!

Congrats, y'all! Submitting your applications definitely has its perks.

I don't know why I bother checking Wolverine Access every day when I didn't submit until January 10! 

For those of you still waiting to hear back about scholarships, the school plans to have this information out by the March 15th deadline to accept/decline admission.  This may seem like common sense but I had to ask, lol!  The deadline is flexible, you just have to be sure to request an extension in writing ahead of time.

This may be weird to ask, but have any of you interviewed for a GSSA position with U of M yet? I interview tomorrow and have no idea what to expect. I've been prepping all evening and was hoping some of you may have tips! I'm also curious as to if they'll ask for an elevator pitch. 

29 minutes ago, BrendonSW said:

This may be weird to ask, but have any of you interviewed for a GSSA position with U of M yet? I interview tomorrow and have no idea what to expect. I've been prepping all evening and was hoping some of you may have tips! I'm also curious as to if they'll ask for an elevator pitch. 

You'll be great! I didn't apply for either of the positions, but they look like reasonably straight forward office/student services jobs. I doubt they'll ask you anything too crazy!

Also just saw that you're in Murfreesboro. My family lives in Spring Hill!

8 minutes ago, Joy418 said:

You'll be great! I didn't apply for either of the positions, but they look like reasonably straight forward office/student services jobs. I doubt they'll ask you anything too crazy!

Also just saw that you're in Murfreesboro. My family lives in Spring Hill!

Haha just down the road from me! I was there last week for an anti-marriage resolution. 

But yeah, I'm thinking it'll be pretty basic and they'll just want to get to know me better. I just have that general anxiety. This position would be great and I really do want it.. I just hope I don't blow it! Haha 

10 hours ago, BrendonSW said:

Haha just down the road from me! I was there last week for an anti-marriage resolution. 

But yeah, I'm thinking it'll be pretty basic and they'll just want to get to know me better. I just have that general anxiety. This position would be great and I really do want it.. I just hope I don't blow it! Haha 

I feel ya, I have an interview tomorrow for a potential full ride at Case Western and I'm feeling nervous about it. Have no idea what to expect.

I just received an email from the school that I have been awarded a 32K scholarship over two years, including the Integrated Healthcare Scholarship (20K) and a Michigan Opportunity Grant (12K).  I am thrilled to have been accepted into the special program but this is going to make it much harder for me decide where to go as I was on the verge of ruling UMich out!

Greetings!

In case anyone is wondering about decisions, I was accepted into the 2 yr program today. I applied 1/21, and am waiting to hear about scholarships (I applied to the Detroit Clinical Scholars and the Integrated Health Scholarship program). 

Best of luck to those still waiting! :)

Greetings and salutations! :)

I've been anonymously lurking around TheGradCafe site for a while. This is the first Michigan MSW thread that I have seen for Fall 2016 and I was excited to see how many people have heard back from U of M already.

I applied on 1/4 and my application says complete on my Wolverine Access page. However, an admissions decision has not yet been made for my application. I'm a BSW student who's graduating from Eastern Michigan University this April. I applied to both EMU and U of M for Fall 2016. At U of M, I applied for the Geriatric Scholarship Program.

At this point, because I haven't heard anything, I'm considering that I didn't get into the program and I'm probably waitlisted or       rejected as an applicant. Still, I'm utilizing a Strengths-Based perspective on this one. I have a Social Work experience and a 4.0 GPA. I think I'm a fairly strong applicant for Michigan. If not, that's okay, I'll end up where I'm supposed to be.

I'll try and visit this thread sometimes. I wish you all hefty financial aid packages and Michigan admissions! Congrats to those who've already been admitted! :) 

@BSWtoMSW Hey there! I'm glad you decided to join the thread. I just want to let you know that it's very possible that you did get accepted. A few days ago, I was looking back at the Michigan threads from last year (regarding my GSSA interview) and noticed people were getting accepted in March and April that had applied in January and February. The ones who applied in January had basically given up, but sure enough they were accepted. Keep your head up. 

You also have a strong academic performance and they may be holding off a bit since you're graduating in a couple of months. Who knows what they're doing. I live in TN and my friends who applied in-state are just now hearing back and they applied in October and November. 

On February 22, 2016 at 2:12 PM, BrendonSW said:

Have you heard anything yet?

I got a letter emailed to me last Friday.  It stated they are delaying giving me a decision until a later date- I applied early admission so they were supposed to respond by 3/1.  It said while they give decisions to many people as the applications are processed, in my case they will be delaying the decision until a later date and to notify them if I wanted to decline to continue with the process.  I'm confused and so disappointed at this point and don't know what they are thinking and how they came to this decision.  My guess is that they don't even want to waitlist me but are waiting to offer me a waitlist if more people decline their offers.  The best case would be they are trying to accept me and are waiting to process the later applications.  

I just don't know and when I called they gave me not information other than to wait as they process the decisions.  Do you know if it could of hurt me that I called several times?   I did do a school tour and had a meeting with them before I applied and I was told I was in a very good position to get accepted.   I never knew this was an option for me after the long wait and am so disappointed others are getting offers and scholarships before I even get a response.  I just wonder what are the criteria they use.   Have you ever heard of this type of response?   

@umichMSW That is disappointing. I'm sorry. I am pulling for you (and will continue to do so!).

If they were going to reject you, they would have done it. Believe me. They couldn't get me out of their applicant pool fast enough.  I don't have concrete information about this, but they have a lot of acceptances floating around out there and are likely waiting to get declines before admitting anyone else. It sounds like you are on hold rather than being on the waitlist, which might be better because it means they have not come to a decision either way. You are still in the running.