University of Michigan Social of Social Work Fall 2016

SWinMI

12 minutes ago, Joy418 said:

Finally got my scholarship offer today! Pretty on-par with the rest of my offers. Not enough to make me go there.

I received mine today as well. Very low. Ugh! Still accepting, though.

Hi all! I applied to Michigan on Feb 1 and just received notice of my admission today! Pretty excited that I got in but unfortunately it'll take a substantial amount of aid for me to even be able to consider it. Does anyone know if decisions for the special programs have been made yet?

3 hours ago, StephMSW said:

Hi all! I applied to Michigan on Feb 1 and just received notice of my admission today! Pretty excited that I got in but unfortunately it'll take a substantial amount of aid for me to even be able to consider it. Does anyone know if decisions for the special programs have been made yet?

I am in the same boat for sure in terms of feasibility of attending. I just received an email to interview for the Global Activities Scholar program. Did other people receive interview requests for this and other special programs?

@RCtheSS

I'm in the same boat that you're in, RC. I called the admissions office on Monday and I was given the generic "We're still processing applications speech." Granted, it was done very nicely but, unfortunately, it didn't help much. I applied on January the 4th and I was told that I probably wouldn't receive any further communication from admissions until about a month or so from now. 

If you do plan to call admissions, call in the morning because they're most likely to answer fairly quickly.

Good luck to you and fingers crossed that you'll be admitted soon! Also, congrats to everyone who has already been accepted! 

1 hour ago, BSWtoMSW said:

@RCtheSS

I'm in the same boat that you're in, RC. I called the admissions office on Monday and I was given the generic "We're still processing applications speech." Granted, it was done very nicely but, unfortunately, it didn't help much. I applied on January the 4th and I was told that I probably wouldn't receive any further communication from admissions until about a month or so from now. 

If you do plan to call admissions, call in the morning because they're most likely to answer fairly quickly.

Good luck to you and fingers crossed that you'll be admitted soon! Also, congrats to everyone who has already been accepted! 

So I did call this morning, and I got the same answer you did! Three seconds after I told the counselor my name, I was told my application is in the "review stage" and I should hear back soon... come on, man. I bet it's been in review for the entire two months they've had it, lol. I'd rather be told I'm on a wait list.

I think you need to respond by March 1st because that is also the deadline for the school to give early application decisions. Also, there are people still waiting for any decision and/ or are on a wait list. If you are not going to accept please let the school know so others can get some closure.  

Ugh is howi I feel.  Submitted 11/30 and still no decision.  I have another offer but really want U of M.   Can anyone describe how interviews go?  I'm pretty anxious and have not asked for one.  

20 hours ago, umichMSW said:

Ugh is howi I feel.  Submitted 11/30 and still no decision.  I have another offer but really want U of M.   Can anyone describe how interviews go?  I'm pretty anxious and have not asked for one.  

I was reading on the threads from last year and it seems that doing an interview really helped the people who were waitlisted. I read that one person requested an interview in person with Tim and she brought a portfolio outlining her work and was contacted three weeks later with an acceptance letter. You can do the interview on the phone or in-person, I think. If you really want to go to U of M, I highly recommend requesting the interview. I think our deadline to commit is March 15, so I would contact Tim after that because more spots will open up.

@umichMSW

Are you thinking about requesting an interview? I think this process makes many of us applicants anxious. There is just so much uncertainty. Earlier this week, I called and requested an in person interview for April 6th. I'm supposed to meet with Erin and Lauren. So, I'm curious to see how interviews go as well. Lol.

Right now, I intern at a non profit in Ann Arbor with a bunch of U of M interns who have been great about sharing their experience with the admissions process. I know one girl who didn't receive a decision until the summer. It seems normal to have to wait a few months or so for this school but that doesn't make things any less stressful. Lol. :)

@ BrendonSW You seem to always leave helpful information. I appreciate that you're a part of this thread. Oh, I meant to say "thanks for the positive vibes" about 20 posts ago. Lol. :)

Edited by BSWtoMSW

Although Michigan was not my first choice initially, I have decided to accept considering the financial aid I've been offered and the alignment of my interests with the special program I've been admitted to.  Without scholarships, it would have been impossible and probably very unwise to attend.  I have some reservations about the social environment, the high rents, and the brutal winters, but program and career-wise Michigan is the best choice for me, which is the most important consideration.  I like that it's only a 16-month program too, i.e. no wasting the summer juggling multiple jobs to make ends meet.

Hi BrendonMW,  Thank you for the support and information about requesting an interview.  I may do that but I also wrote a brief letter to Tim outlining my serious interest and how the program is a perfect fit for me and the school.  Tim is the one who wrote me the letter a few weeks ago saying my decision would be delayed?  Have you met with Tim and if so how did it go? I already met with Lauren last fall when I went for a tour and had a brief meeting with her.  

@umichMSW I actually haven't met anyone from the SSW office. I've only e-mailed. I haven't spoke with Tim, but based on the threads from last year, he seems very kind and willing to work with you. I would definitely build a portfolio highlighting some of your best work and set up an interview with Tim. When a person reviews your application and reads your personal statement, sometimes they don't have a clear idea of who you are and your goals. I think building a portfolio and meeting Tim in person could seriously highlight who you are personally and professionally. 

For those that are awaiting financial aid decisions, I just happened to check Wolverine Access and saw that mine were added. An e-mail was not sent. I was given the accept/decline date of 3/15, so it seems like UM was waiting until the last minute to put my package together. I also spoke with a representative on Friday (she called me) who said that she would e-mail the OFA  since I hadn't heard anything (not sure if that played a part in it).

Best of luck to those that are still playing the waiting game. It's almost over!  :)

On 3/12/2016 at 3:02 PM, ediblestranger said:

Although Michigan was not my first choice initially, I have decided to accept considering the financial aid I've been offered and the alignment of my interests with the special program I've been admitted to.  Without scholarships, it would have been impossible and probably very unwise to attend.  I have some reservations about the social environment, the high rents, and the brutal winters, but program and career-wise Michigan is the best choice for me, which is the most important consideration.  I like that it's only a 16-month program too, i.e. no wasting the summer juggling multiple jobs to make ends meet.

Congratulations on deciding!!! That's so awesome! I've only heard good things about the program and I'm sure it will be awesome for you!!

On 3/15/2016 at 3:25 PM, Joy418 said:

Congratulations on deciding!!! That's so awesome! I've only heard good things about the program and I'm sure it will be awesome for you!!

Thanks!  That's not to say I would turn down a full-tuition scholarship if one comes my way from either WashU or UWashington - Seattle.  I'm not holding my breath, which is why I gave my deposit to U of M, but I still don't want to sign a lease in Ann Arbor until I am absolutely certain.  Which is unfortunate because by the time we hear about UWashington fellowships it will be summer, at which point off-campus housing at Michigan will be pretty cut-throat (if it's anything like OSU, which it almost certainly is).

Are you any closer to making a decision?

4 hours ago, ediblestranger said:

Thanks!  That's not to say I would turn down a full-tuition scholarship if one comes my way from either Case or UWash - Seattle.  I'm not holding my breath, which is why I gave my deposit to U of M, but I still don't want to sign a lease in Ann Arbor until I am absolutely certain.  Which is unfortunate because by the time we hear about UWash fellowships it will be summer, at which point off-campus housing at Michigan will be pretty cut-throat (if it's anything like OSU, which it almost certainly is).

Are you any closer to making a decision?

I've declined Chicago, Michigan, and Boston College. I should hear back from the Case fellowship this week or next at the latest. I am not holding my breath. Unless I get that, I should be headed to WashU! They actually gave me a little bit more money which will help out.