Personal statement

I was wondering how you address bad grades in your personal statement. I went to 2 undergrad schools, one I had a 2.9 then the next I had a 3.6. Obviously I want them to look at the 3.6 and how I improved myself but the first schools transcript still needs to be sent out. I was going through a tough time with personal things and family stuff that affected my school work but I don't know how to address it in my essay without it sounding pathetic or like a cop out. Any suggestions?

Also, I don't have a family member that suffered a speech impairment or stroke or anything like most do in their essays to explain why they choose the major. I honestly just liked the classes and the material... But that doesn't sound interesting to an admissions committee. Has anyone else decided on the major just bc they liked it? I don't know how to make myself unique when my experience really wasn't...

I was in the same boat with my grades. Definitely address them in your SOP. It doesn't have to be some long, meticulously detailed thing. For me, I explained the grades and took up about a paragraph discussing what was going on in my life that impacted me. However, I also made sure to discuss how it helped me grow as a person and what I've learned from it, as well as comparing it to my academic successes afterward.

And don't worry about not having a family member who went through SLP to talk about in your essay. I have been told repeatedly from professors that admissions committees read that type of essay over and over again. You want something that will make you stand out. I don't think there's anything boring about interest in the material being the reason you chose this major. If it's fascinating, if you're passionate about it, it will come through in your essay. Passion is what I think schools like to see. 

my grades in first 2 years sucked and the grades in my last 2 years are fantastic. i was told not to mention the grades unless i was sure i could spin it in a good/ flattering way. a lot of people told me not to do it. so i wont be including it. dealers choice though, i mean it could be damaging if written wrong, or it could help your overall persona stand out. 

As OverCaffeinated said- unless you can spin it a really positive way, I would not include that. If you have had great grades in your last 60 and major, that should speak for itself. Especially if you have good GRE scores, and some experience. 

I would only write about poor grades if you did great for two years, then failed for a year due to a reason, then did well again. 

At most, maybe a transition sentence such as, "Starting in my major classes really spurned my interest and passion in the subject, and a renewed focus in academics." Most reasons for poor grades the first two years I have heard are depression, death of a family member, lack of focus/direction/passion...which at least I think do not highlight your strengths in a short personal statement. 

Of course, if you were hospitalized/on leave, I would definitely bring that up. 

Thank you for your responses. I guess my case is more complicated because I did awesome my freshmen year, then terrible my sophomore (due to issues), then great again. So I feel like I have to mention something because it was uncharacteristic of me. I'll just have to try to spin it in a good light because I dont want it seen as weakness in my application.

If it concerns you , then address it in your SOP. You don't have to write a detailed paragraph about it, but touch on it and focus more on what you learned from the experience and use it to show your ability to persevere, not give up, etc. Keep it positive. 

Good luck!

I glossed over some grades in my SOP by basically going "While I took this and this class, I was also working at my part time job X hours a week and helping so-and-so Professor with project Y. My dedication to blah blah job and the research project indicate my interest in the SLP field by..."

So I basically gave the reason that I had the issues without drawing too much attention to them. I hope that helps!

As OverCaffeinated said- unless you can spin it a really positive way, I would not include that. If you have had great grades in your last 60 and major, that should speak for itself. Especially if you have good GRE scores, and some experience. 

I would only write about poor grades if you did great for two years, then failed for a year due to a reason, then did well again. 

At most, maybe a transition sentence such as, "Starting in my major classes really spurned my interest and passion in the subject, and a renewed focus in academics." Most reasons for poor grades the first two years I have heard are depression, death of a family member, lack of focus/direction/passion...which at least I think do not highlight your strengths in a short personal statement. 

Of course, if you were hospitalized/on leave, I would definitely bring that up. 

Just a quick heads up, lol, and I'm sure it was a typo, but don't use "spurned" - use "spurred" in this example.