Does this plan make sense?? HELP!

clevermintt

I am currently a senior at university.

I have a major in Psych and a minor in Health Systems Management, (hospital management) and was planning on working either during or before graduate school.

I want to just gauge my options here because I know for a fact that my GPA isn't the strongest. I'd just like feedback on if I should focus on working out of college and then applying to clinical programs after? Personal problems freshman year and then I was Pre-med before doing my Psych major which didn't help my GPA at all. Lots of C-'s, C's, and B's, until Chem destroyed my sophomore year GPA. Switched to Psych and HSM and I've been on an upward trend since, but it's not a competitive GPA.

2.781 cum
3.3 for my last three consecutive semesters (so minus freshman and one semester of sophomore year)
3.67 minor GPA (all A-'s)
3.01 major GPA

I am expecting all A's/A-'s this semester. 12 credit hours. 

I have two years of research experience where I have worked in the same lab in visual cognition with an amazing professor who would be willing to write a letter of rec. I am also doing research with a professor this summer in anger in children from hostile areas, along with being proficient in SPSS and doing an internship that focuses on research for gathering data for neonatal fetal alcohol syndrome.

GRE scores are 154V, 149Q. AWA is 5.0. I think it is possible to get up to 160V and 152ishQ.

My writing skills are amazing, as are interview skills.

I am looking to work for a year/two before applying to programs, but I was also wondering if I could get into a program now? My background primarily is in psych; what is the worth of MSW/MPH degrees? Are dual MPH degrees worth it? I was considering a Social and Behavioral Sciences MPH and then applying to get my Ph.D in psych, as I really think clinical work is what I would be happy doing - but I also see a huge appeal in the policy work in mental health reform.

If what you are interested in is purely clinical work, and being a researcher is not that appealing to you, then I think an MSW (and then becoming an LCSW) could be a good way to go. Clinical psych Ph.D programs are insanely competative, long, and heavy on research. Though I'm sure with a lot of hard work you could get into a program, it just sounds like your passion lies elsewhere.

I would say apply and give it a shot. People with all kinds of backgrounds get in so you never know. Worst case you reapply next year and keep getting experience/networking with the applications. That counts for a lot as well. 

That's what I had figured. Thank you so much! 

If what you are interested in is purely clinical work, and being a researcher is not that appealing to you, then I think an MSW (and then becoming an LCSW) could be a good way to go. Clinical psych Ph.D programs are insanely competative, long, and heavy on research. Though I'm sure with a lot of hard work you could get into a program, it just sounds like your passion lies elsewhere.

That's the thing, I really thought I would hate research but I have loved working my labs and at my internship...I just think interaction is something I really need in my career. Hence the debate between an MPH/Ph.D. One of my professors told me to look into getting a Psy.D but I've heard so much negative thoughts about the Psy.D, so I am just not sure. 

I don't know much about Psy.D, and I guess it has a lot to do with where you're planning on living and working, but my feeling is that you're right to be a little skeptical abot it. If you are really sure that you want to combine research and clinical work, then building up your research experience before applying to a Ph.D program is probably a smart idea. What ever you choose- good luck!

Edited by Chubberubber

I just think interaction is something I really need in my career. Hence the debate between an MPH/Ph.D.

My suggestion to you is to consider what you want to be doing after you graduate from grad school, whatever it may be. MPH graduates are often more "in the trenches" in terms of designing public interventions, putting them into place, etc. A PhD graduate will either be doing research or more direct clinical work (in a hospital or clinic). You won't get a systemic or macro focus with a PhD - if that's your interest, I would recommend the MPH.

Another thing to consider, if you like the public policy work *and* clinical treatment work... maybe look at doing a clinical MSW.

• 1 month later...
On October 18, 2015 at 12:15:47 PM, dancedementia said:

My suggestion to you is to consider what you want to be doing after you graduate from grad school, whatever it may be. MPH graduates are often more "in the trenches" in terms of designing public interventions, putting them into place, etc. A PhD graduate will either be doing research or more direct clinical work (in a hospital or clinic). You won't get a systemic or macro focus with a PhD - if that's your interest, I would recommend the MPH.

Another thing to consider, if you like the public policy work *and* clinical treatment work... maybe look at doing a clinical MSW.

I'll look into it! Thank you so much. 

On October 15, 2015 at 10:16:32 PM, Chubberubber said:

Thank you so much! This is the route I'm planning on right now. 

• 5 weeks later...