Sample Statement of Purpose

s0ciology1992

Hi all! 

I just wanted to go ahead and start a specific thread on the statement of purpose. I've been able to find SoP examples for most graduate school fields/topics, except for sociology. A simple search will get you great results for the general organization of a SoP, but I was wondering if anyone had specific, successful examples? I keep trying to figure out what the start, also known as the "hook," should be; the tone of professionalism I should use; how much focus should be placed on "why sociology?"; should I highlight the specific debates in my areas of research/interest and offer my intervention; to what length should I be speaking about my undergraduate coursework and honors thesis (It's been two years since); graduate research plan and folks I'm interested in working with. 

A lot of questions, basically. 

Edited by s0ciology1992
spelling

I did something similar to SocPhDStudent:

Paragraph 1: My research interests, and the broader question that the specific interests are a derivative of.

Paragraph 2: Past research experience #1.

Paragraph 3: Past research experience #2 and related teaching experience.

Paragraph 4: How these past research experiences are connected, and how they inform my current research interests and plans for what I will study in grad school.

Paragraph 5: Why University X is a good fit for my interests, focusing mainly on faculty and resources within the department.

Paragraph 6: If necessary, an additional paragraph for resources outside the department, such as researchers at other departments, special diplomas, access to lab resources, etc. If there wasn't much, this would get folded into P5. 

Conclusion: Plans beyond the PhD, short statement about how Uni X will get me there.

I keep trying to figure out what the start, also known as the "hook," should be; the tone of professionalism I should use; how much focus should be placed on "why sociology?"; should I highlight the specific debates in my areas of research/interest and offer my intervention; to what length should I be speaking about my undergraduate coursework and honors thesis (It's been two years since); graduate research plan and folks I'm interested in working with. 

A lot of questions, basically. 

I would advise against trying to "force a hook". Otherwise, it might come across as too fake. Don't put too much pressure to write the perfect statement the first time your pen hits the paper (figuratively). Just crank out some thoughts on your intellectual chronology and adjust it later. My personal statement has been "finished" for 2 months, but I'm still nit-picking it and revising as necessary. 

That being said, when you get your thoughts on paper, omit any reference to how "you've always been interested in sociology". I also would advise against positioning your research statement by "highlighting debates in your research area and your intervention" for two reasons: you might potentially come across as having a messiah complex (these problems weren't properly evaluated/solved until s0ciology1992 intervened!) OR it's possible that someone on the adcom would disagree with you (maybe not your POI, but you don't know who might be reading/evaluating), especially if it is controversial. I'd say focus mostly on your graduate research plan and academic background. Think of particular articles/books/problems that have forced you to confront/have a change of heart....I think these things can be powerful content possibly worth mentioning somewhere.

I write with mostly the tone of a cover letter, but with a little bit of personality so it's not cold. Don't write informally. Don't write too much personal information into your statement (illness, family drama, etc.). 

Take this for what it's worth, but make sure you "speak" the language of the department you're applying to. For example, I'm (broadly) interested in human geography and political ecology. One department that I'm applying to doesn't really emphasize human geography (it's assumed that's the branch of geography you'll be doing), so I focus more on how I can contribute to discussions on political ecology (via territoriality, border constructions, etc.). Look at professors' interests in the department as a whole and make sure you reflect that verbiage. 

Good advice already given.

I would just highlight, again, a "no" to the question of: "Should I highlight the specific debates in my areas of research/interest and offer my intervention?"

It reminds me of the recommendation letter Edward Shils wrote for Michael Burawoy in 1975:

"It is my impression that Mr. Burawoy is hampered intellectually by excessive and unrealistic preoccupation with what he regards as conflicts between himself and the prevailing trends of sociological analysis in the United States. He seems to think that he must struggle to prevent himself from being overpowered or seduced by "mainstream sociology." At the same time, I have not even detected any originality on Mr. Burawoy's part in analysis which he has made from the standpoint which he regards as disfavoured in American sociology . . . It might be that there is no spark of originality in him, or it might be that he is holding it in reserve. Since, however, I have known him for a long time and he has never hesitated to express his opinions to me on a wide variety of political and other subjects, I would incline toward the former hypothesis. . . when I first met him, I was very much struck by his initiative. He knew nothing about sociology, and he knew nothing about India, but he struck out on his own, and that seemed to me to be admirable and worthy of encouragement. In the Department of Sociology he has done well in his examinations. . . In seminars, I have been more struck by an obstinate conventionality and a fear of being led into paths which might disturb his rather simple view of society. It is a great pity because he obviously likes to do research and he is not inhibited when it comes to writing. He also has a very good I.Q. But somehow, either the security of sectarianism or a juvenile antinomianism seems to have got the better of him. I first noticed the latter in Cambridge. At that time he was an undergraduate and I thought it would pass. Thus far it has not."

Edited by iemons

I write with mostly the tone of a cover letter, but with a little bit of personality so it's not cold. Don't write informally. Don't write too much personal information into your statement (illness, family drama, etc.). 

For me, illness was a huge reason why I became interested in sociology, and it has shaped my research interests as well.  I have a chronic illness that is common, as it affects 1 in 10 women!! However, it is stigmatized and invisible due to its nature as a women's illness (endometriosis).  I've lived the (largely gendered) inequality of illness and was forced to drop out of high school because of this illness.  This has fueled my interest in medical sociology, and what I've learned throughout my academic pursuits has strengthened that passion.  Since my experience with illness is the root of my interest in medical sociology, and since I can show how far I've come through telling that story (that a high school drop out is getting her master's degree and is applying for PhD programs), I'm going to have to talk about illness.  

The point of posting all that was that I hope I can find that balance between including enough about myself and too much.  The good news is that I know how much to talk about my illness without being unprofessional, but writing ... hmm ... I'll need some more practice.

Also, my SOP will be more well-written than this post haha!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'd question the describing your research experience. My advisor for my department (anthro) told me to not talk AT ALL about what I've done, but just to talk about what I WILL do. So my SOP is coming out a lot more like a research proposal. This may be a bit extreme, but I'd question the necessity of talking about your research experience, when presenting your ideas would be an example of "showing, not telling" your intellectual capacity. 

I guess I'd question the describing your research experience. My advisor for my department (anthro) told me to not talk AT ALL about what I've done, but just to talk about what I WILL do. So my SOP is coming out a lot more like a research proposal. This may be a bit extreme, but I'd question the necessity of talking about your research experience, when presenting your ideas would be an example of "showing, not telling" your intellectual capacity. 

Whenever I write a grant proposal, I do my best to cite and describe my relevant previous work. It makes for a better case that I can actually carry out the new research that I am proposing. What you are proposing makes no sense for a SOP or for a research proposal.  

Absolutely not true.

Your objective in the Statement is to show a trajectory - you should talk about what you've done before you talk about what you will do.

Definitely listen to the steps listed above. I did similar format and i got in. 

You don't need a hook. But you do need a solid intro. Also stay formal. You can bring in personal aspects, but write like you're applying to be a phd student, because you are.

Explicitly listing faculty and fit are important. Your research interests can and likely will change, but you gotta sell yourself. 

• 2 years later...
On 10/20/2015 at 8:46 PM, fuzzylogician said:

I did something similar to SocPhDStudent:

Paragraph 1: My research interests, and the broader question that the specific interests are a derivative of.

Paragraph 2: Past research experience #1.

Paragraph 3: Past research experience #2 and related teaching experience.

Paragraph 4: How these past research experiences are connected, and how they inform my current research interests and plans for what I will study in grad school.

Paragraph 5: Why University X is a good fit for my interests, focusing mainly on faculty and resources within the department.

Paragraph 6: If necessary, an additional paragraph for resources outside the department, such as researchers at other departments, special diplomas, access to lab resources, etc. If there wasn't much, this would get folded into P5. 

Conclusion: Plans beyond the PhD, short statement about how Uni X will get me there.

This is great! Saving this for reference.