Fall 2016 Geography Applications

nevermind

17 minutes ago, June_cosmo said:

I hope so!! Are you studying in Maryland? I think you have really good program too. Not sure about critical geography but certainly GIS and remote sensing. 

The UMD I go to is the University of Minnesota Duluth---it's a sister campus to the main campus in the Twin Cities! My masters degree is technically a interdisciplinary degree between geography and American Indian Studies so I've been able to use the school's strengths in AIS and human geography to my advantage. We get confused with Maryland all the time so no worries. :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, geographyumd said:

Is it just me or does it seem like no departments have made decisions yet, besides two in the UK?

Not just you! I don't think my two programs notify until early-mid February. (For better or worse.)

I have applied to Missouri, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Washington, and Illinois. I've already gotten a letter of acceptance from Ok Stare, but haven't heard anything from the others. Anyone else hear anything?

1 hour ago, Geogmizkc said:

I have applied to Missouri, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Washington, and Illinois. I've already gotten a letter of acceptance from Ok Stare, but haven't heard anything from the others. Anyone else hear anything?

I applied to Washington, it sounds like they'll probably be making their decisions in the next several weeks. Congrats on the acceptance to Oklahoma State! A friend of mine did his PhD at OU, and it sounds like he enjoyed being down there. Best of luck on the other schools!

E-mailed my PoI at Minnesota and got the reply back, "I've spoken to the DGS and you should be hearing from him in the next few days, you can contact him if you don't hear from him." When I asked her about if he had mentioned anything about the decision, she said she would "let him communicate the decision in his capacity as Grad Director". I'm not entirely sure what it means but now I'm extremely worried that a rejection is on its way. :wacko:

8 minutes ago, geographyumd said:

E-mailed my PoI at Minnesota and got the reply back, "I've spoken to the DGS and you should be hearing from him in the next few days, you can contact him if you don't hear from him." When I asked her about if he had mentioned anything about the decision, she said she would "let him communicate the decision in his capacity as Grad Director". I'm not entirely sure what it means but now I'm extremely worried that a rejection is on its way. :wacko:

I don't think it is good or bad yet. There's a chance that they don't want to let decisions out so they don't get flooded with  emails, phone calls,etc. Or maybe they're nominating you for a fellowship and haven't heard back yet...there's a lot of stuff that could happen. Don't count yourself out yet!

As I'm sitting there tonight, being anxious, I got an e-mail from Kansas mentioning that I am one of the top ranked candidates for admission and inviting me to their recruitment day next week!!! I dunno how I'm going to get down there but I am going to try for sure! :) I have a silly grin plastered on my face right now :D 

Got an e-mail from Ohio State informing me I have been accepted!! AHHH!! :D Also got a nice phone call from my PoI at Wisconsin wanting to chat more---I should hear back from them soon, but he did mention he wanted to make a case for me to be admitted!! I'm on cloud nine right now.

20 minutes ago, geographyumd said:

Got an e-mail from Ohio State informing me I have been accepted!! AHHH!! :D Also got a nice phone call from my PoI at Wisconsin wanting to chat more---I should hear back from them soon, but he did mention he wanted to make a case for me to be admitted!! I'm on cloud nine right now.

Awesome!  Congrats!!!

On 2/4/2016 at 6:14 AM, geographyumd said:

massive congrats @geographyumd!

Got the rejection email from Minnesota today. I had a underlying feeling that would be the case but I was still optimistic. It stings but I'll be okay. For those who get in, Minnesota is awesome, even during the winter. I expect acceptance notifications will be coming soon.

I applied to U of T and Oxford for Geography PhDs. The only thing I heard from Oxford was that they will consider my application as part of the January 22 deadline and nothing else. Has anyone heard from either place?

On 2016/2/7 at 3:58 PM, geographyumd said:

Got the rejection email from Minnesota today. I had a underlying feeling that would be the case but I was still optimistic. It stings but I'll be okay. For those who get in, Minnesota is awesome, even during the winter. I expect acceptance notifications will be coming soon.

But you got accepted from OSU. That's awesome congrats!

9 minutes ago, June_cosmo said:

But you got accepted from OSU. That's awesome congrats!

I did! I had to remind myself that I have much to be grateful for this season. :) And I hope that all of you get good news as well! 

On 2016/2/9 at 11:17 PM, geographyumd said:

I did! I had to remind myself that I have much to be grateful for this season. :) And I hope that all of you get good news as well! 

I haven't heard from OSU, I guess I'm waitlisted. Always have hope though!

Edited by June_cosmo

I got an email from Madison notifying me of my rejection (I had sent an update to my file...so I'm assuming they haven't let everyone know yet), so it seems like they've made their list of candidates and should be out shortly. Good luck to all who have applied!