SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2016-2017

rugox

7 hours ago, psychstudent316 said:

Hey everyone,

I've been following this thread and emailed the senior awards officer at U of T inquiring about the results yesterday. She wrote me back an hour later and told me I was awarded the 3 year CGS-D. 

Before this, I had emailed my graduate unit and asked about notifications. He told me that the results just came in and that students would be notified "very soon". If you're eager to find out the result at U of T you might very well get a response on Monday from the awards officer at SGS. Otherwise it sounds like SGS will be emailing students either on Monday or Tuesday, hopefully before the official letters reach us. Hang in there!

Thanks so much for this info. I am at U of T too and just sent an email to the senior awards officer. Am going kind of crazy waiting.

Huge congrats on your award!!

14 hours ago, Meggsy said:

Thanks so much for this info. I am at U of T too and just sent an email to the senior awards officer. Am going kind of crazy waiting.

Huge congrats on your award!!

Great! I know, the waiting was driving me mad. I hope you get it too!! :)

On 4/23/2016 at 1:11 PM, Lanie said:

I think its important to realize that "some admin person" is in charge of a LOT of decision distribution, are often overworked and usually dealing with grad students who hound them constantly. "Some admin person" at sshrc knows before you too, "Some admin person" knows about your admittance to programs before you. "Some admin" at your school deserves a little more regard and are doing the best they can. Maybe learn their name and thank them.

I am not belittling anyone in an admin position. I realize they may be being contacted by many students. And I do know this admin's name, however I would not throw their name out there for all the world to see as that would be unethical.

If you look back through my posts in this forum, you'll be able to see that my fundamental issue is with SSHRC's system for this award. The TL;DR is SSHRC (unlike the NSERC and CIHR) notifies the applicant (i.e., the individual who is most anxious to find out the result) via snail mail rather than an online portal.

59 minutes ago, rugox said:

Just out of curiosity, question for people who've won the award before:

What comes in the mail?

The "official letter" letting you know if you got the award or not and if so, if it was the Bombardier ($35,000 for 3 years, or fellowship $20,000 for up to 4). The letter also gives you a score your reviewers gave you and some information about how these scores are generated. I do not know if anything else comes with successful letters, but maybe an acceptance form?

10 hours ago, swedishberry said:

Think the letters might start showing up in southern Ontario tomorrow (Monday)? In Kingston...

Maybe... though Tuesday is perhaps more likely, if we are to believe SSHRC that they have sent the letters on Friday afternoon (that's what I was told by email).

Edited by biggoalies

Just got an email from my department letting me know I got the CGS Doctoral Scholarship for three years. Good luck to the rest of you waiting on results.

Such a huge relief!!!!

1 hour ago, biggoalies said:

Maybe... though Tuesday is perhaps more likely, if we are to believe SSHRC that they have sent the letters on Friday afternoon (that's what I was told by email).

Update: No letter for me in Toronto today.

On April 23, 2016 at 1:54 PM, psychstudent316 said:

Hey everyone,

I've been following this thread and emailed the senior awards officer at U of T inquiring about the results yesterday. She wrote me back an hour later and told me I was awarded the 3 year CGS-D. 

Before this, I had emailed my graduate unit and asked about notifications. He told me that the results just came in and that students would be notified "very soon". If you're eager to find out the result at U of T you might very well get a response on Monday from the awards officer at SGS. Otherwise it sounds like SGS will be emailing students either on Monday or Tuesday, hopefully before the official letters reach us. Hang in there!

Called SGS and they weren't willing to give up the information...curious that people are getting different information 

12 minutes ago, CrunchCrunch said:

Called SGS and they weren't willing to give up the information...curious that people are getting different information 

I can't speak to what would happen if you called them as I don't think the receptionist would divulge the information. Emailing the awards officer directly might be the better route.

Congrats to all of those who have received good news so far. For those who are still waiting, I hope that you all receive great news in the next day or two. Thanks again to all of those who sent their congrats. I am still not sure I believe it! :)

8 minutes ago, AnxietyItself said:

Shout out to all independent applicants. I changed my address to that of my parents in Gatineau so I would receive the news faster. It's just across the river, but no news as of today... 

Gonna be a long week down here in the States...

22 minutes ago, AnxietyItself said:

Shout out to all independent applicants. I changed my address to that of my parents in Gatineau so I would receive the news faster. It's just across the river, but no news as of today... 

Haha, I just sent a message to my parents to see if they received anything in the mail today. My letter is going a little farther than Gatineau, so hopefully tomorrow! 

I got this e-mail today.  So weird.  Why do some schools get results and others don't?

Good morning,

It has come to our attention that all SSHRC results have now been mailed directly to applicants via Canada Post

Please forward a copy of the letter listing your scores and ranking as well as the final result to me when they arrive (scanned and emailed if high quality or hard copies are accepted).

Thank you and best wishes

Thanks to biggoalies for the tip about calling York for results! I was awarded a CGS!!! A big surprise, since last year I was flatly rejected at the national level and my application hasn't changed much. 

The scoring scheme seems to be rather opaque though, and I have yet to have anyone explain how it works (including those who have adjudicated the awards)....

2 minutes ago, Luna1 said:

Thanks to biggoalies for the tip about calling York for results! I was awarded a CGS!!! A big surprise, since last year I was flatly rejected at the national level and my application hasn't changed much. 

The scoring scheme seems to be rather opaque though, and I have yet to have anyone explain how it works (including those who have adjudicated the awards)....

Best I can remember from my rejection last year is two reviewers each give a score out of 10 (no detail in the information about how they determine their score) which are added for a total score out of 20. I understand a lot of work goes into reviewing and evaluating the couple thousand application which make it to the final level, but it would be great to get a note or two about what was good and what needs to be improved. Or maybe next year ask us if they can use our data to generate a report as to what the 'average' SSHRC doctoral award winner looks like in terms of # of pubs, GPA, presentations, etc.

6 minutes ago, DealBreakerC said:

Best I can remember from my rejection last year is two reviewers each give a score out of 10 (no detail in the information about how they determine their score) which are added for a total score out of 20. I understand a lot of work goes into reviewing and evaluating the couple thousand application which make it to the final level, but it would be great to get a note or two about what was good and what needs to be improved. Or maybe next year ask us if they can use our data to generate a report as to what the 'average' SSHRC doctoral award winner looks like in terms of # of pubs, GPA, presentations, etc.

I perused the thread from last year and found that the cutoff for those awarded was 12.1. Everyone who scored at or above this was awarded and those who were close were waitlisted. This number was obtained my some of the forum members directly emailing sshrc about it. The cutoff is probably different for this year.

Check out York's SSHRC doctoral guide (http://gradstudies.yorku.ca/files/2015/09/SSHRC-doctoral-guide.pdf). It's the closest I've seen to a "clear" explanation. Unlike CGS-M's rubric (50% Academic Excellence, 30% Research Potential, 20% Personal Characteristics and Interpersonal Skills), it seems that the doctoral fellowships and awards are more "global," for the lack of a better term: a set of evaluation criteria free of imposed weight, leading to a temporary score that is then adjusted based on a 100-point scheme and adjudicated within the committees. Now, that's a university-level guide, so the process might/must be different, but I can't imagine it being that different.

Edited by biggoalies

1 hour ago, rugox said:

I perused the thread from last year and found that the cutoff for those awarded was 12.1. Everyone who scored at or above this was awarded and those who were close were waitlisted. This number was obtained my some of the forum members directly emailing sshrc about it. The cutoff is probably different for this year.

It will also depend on the committee you chose. The one with psychology is massive and has the most applicants. So the cut off could be very different.