Penn GSE 2016

phillyhed

Just now, Heather1011 said:

That's you!  I'm in the box on the left right now driving Athena crazy with IED questions :P 

Yep, I figured that was you! I'm reading through your questions now. 

So, most of the questions I asked were VERY IEDP-specific, but one valuable piece of information I got from the admissions person LaToya was that Penn does communicate with its "competitors" (I assume Harvard, Vandy, TC, etc.) in trying to plan its admitted students' days on different weekends.  I was very concerned about this, so yay!

1 hour ago, phillyhed said:

From tonight's chat-- I asked this question in the Admissions box: 

Christina: Hi LaToya, Do you know if all of the invitations to the doctoral interview weekend were sent today or will some be sent tomorrow?

LaToya F. - Admissions: Christina, invitations to the doctoral weekend will be sent out by the end of the day tomorrow.

Christina: Thanks LaToya!

So, now we know. We have hope!

SUPER helpful! Thanks for asking!

39 minutes ago, nrvsandexcited94 said:

I GOT IN!!!!!!! Masters Language and Literacy!!!!!! 

So happy for you!!  See you there, perhaps!

Also, don't despair totally PhD people.  It's still 5:51 PM and I didn't receive my admissions until 5:11 on a Friday.  They may work late.

Oddly enough, I still have hope. We are having a big blizzard here in PA, so I doubt they are still working. I just find it weird that no GradCafe people have posted anything. Obviously, everyone applying doesn't post here, but not hearing anyone update the forum or results page seems weird. 

13 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

True, they might have sent staff home early :)

My boss said something similar but we work less than 30 blocks from GSE and it didn't start snowing until nearly 7:00 last night. 

I'm not hopeful. 

I knew it was a long shot but I was genuinely optimistic about my chances. Very disappointed. 

Congrats to all who got interviews. 

1 hour ago, phillyhed said:

My boss said something similar but we work less than 30 blocks from GSE and it didn't start snowing until nearly 7:00 last night. 

I'm not hopeful. 

I knew it was a long shot but I was genuinely optimistic about my chances. Very disappointed. 

Congrats to all who got interviews. 

:(  There is still the waitlist etc.  Do you have a new plan, try again another year?  With other schools? You seem so deserving and it would be a shame not to.

I still always find it strange when alums of the schools don't get into those schools a second time.  I understand it's competitive and these are different programs (or for you, almost the same?), but still, you've already been vetted because you went there!  I have a friend who went to Penn undergrad, didn't get into their medical school but got in to all relevant med school competitors.  Just seems bizarre, almost as if it's a disadvantage because they want to diversify or something suspicious.

Edited by Heather1011

I only applied to this program, so I'll try again next year, along with a few other schools and definitely retake my GREs. I have a ton of experience and already have a Masters. My GRE scores are low, so I know retaking them would make me more competitive. 

18 hours ago, dear_valentine07 said:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! So exciting!!!!! Would you mind me asking when you applied?

I applied a while ago! I sent it in 11/23 i think and it was definitely ready for review by 12/3. I also think it really varies by department because @Heather1011 applied after me but heard back a week earlier!

Edited by nrvsandexcited94

For any gluttons for punishment, like me, I emailed Penn GSE Admissions to get confirmation that all invites for doctoral interview weekend have indeed been sent and got this reply:

Thank you for your message. All invitations for Doctoral Applicants Weekend at Penn GSE have been sent via email. All applicants will receive their decision regarding admission in mid-March. Let us know if you have any other questions, have a great day.

I just needed to put the nail in that coffin because even though I knew they were all supposed to go out on Friday, I needed to know definitively. Receiving the email about the financial aid session was a bit of a punch in the gut, as I'm sure the official rejection will be.

Good to know I can stop hoping though. I have no effing idea what I'm going to do next but wish you all the best!

2 minutes ago, phillyhed said:

For any gluttons for punishment, like me, I emailed Penn GSE Admissions to get confirmation that all invites for doctoral interview weekend have indeed been sent and got this reply:

Thank you for your message. All invitations for Doctoral Applicants Weekend at Penn GSE have been sent via email. All applicants will receive their decision regarding admission in mid-March. Let us know if you have any other questions, have a great day.

I just needed to put the nail in that coffin because even though I knew they were all supposed to go out on Friday, I needed to know definitively. Receiving the email about the financial aid session was a bit of a punch in the gut, as I'm sure the official rejection will be.

Good to know I can stop hoping though. I have no effing idea what I'm going to do next but wish you all the best!

Thanks for the heads up! I actually just sent an e-mail as well; now knowing the answer will make the response I get back less shocking. 

My plan going forward is retaking the GREs, restructuring my SOP, and applying to this school and a few more next season. I'll probably be in contact with the program at the end of the semester/over the summer (once their admission process is over) to get insight on my app and moving forward.

Good luck everyone :)

8 minutes ago, phillyhed said:

I wish you the best too!  I'm so disappointed it didn't work out for you :(  But you still have so many options in front of you.  Do not despair!