Penn GSE 2016

phillyhed

14 hours ago, marature said:

hi heather, i submitted my app in mid-nov and received an email telling me to check the web site just before christmas. so it looks like this year it's right in the 4-6 week period that they say.

I was soooo trying to get that to happen for me, and I submitted my application around November 20th, but my 3rd recommender didn't submit until mid-December despite me having given her several months notice and request to have it by then.  Alas!  I have a feeling they work slower after Christmas, but here's hoping!  Thanks for the inside info :) Mind if I ask what the decision was?  I know you're applying to the same program as me and we share similar interests, and it sounded like you should have gotten in based on your experience and grades... plus I was wondering if they give you news about scholarships yet, if you were accepted?

Edited by Heather1011

On 1/2/2016 at 6:21 AM, Heather1011 said:

I was soooo trying to get that to happen for me, and I submitted my application around November 20th, but my 3rd recommender didn't submit until mid-December despite me having given her several months notice and request to have it by then.  Alas!  I have a feeling they work slower after Christmas, but here's hoping!  Thanks for the inside info :) Mind if I ask what the decision was?  I know you're applying to the same program as me and we share similar interests, and it sounded like you should have gotten in based on your experience and grades... plus I was wondering if they give you news about scholarships yet, if you were accepted?

Yeah, my mid-nov submission was a complete app. I guess your decision should be by end jan? I got an email saying to check the Web site. I was accepted :)! There was a decision letter and scholarship offer together in the same file. I really like the program, but I'm afraid I still can't afford it, even with the scholarship. Still, it was very encouraging to receive such a positive first decision!

Edited by marature

58 minutes ago, marature said:

Yeah, my mid-nov submission was a complete app. I guess your decision should be by end jan? I got an email saying to check the Web site. I was accepted :)! There was a decision letter and scholarship offer together in the same file. I really like the program, but I'm afraid I still can't afford it, even with the scholarship. Still, it was very encouraging to receive such a positive first decision!

That's very encouraging! :)  Congratulations anyway.  Did you already decline the offer?  I totally agree that Penn is VERY expensive (like 20K more than HGSE just for tuition!!)

On 2016. 1. 1. at 8:57 AM, Heather1011 said:

When did you submit your app?

Thanks for the info!  Hopefully this year they're running more smoothly.

I submitted mine on Oct 30. However, they contact me mid-January about a missing transcript.

The missing transcript was not my main transcript, it was just a summer language program containing 2 courses so they were like whatever.

But it is true that my application was not complete until January 20th or so. 

Hi all! 

Just checking in to say I'm waiting with you. I applied to the Ed Policy PhD program. I only applied to one program, so this is it. If I don't get in, I've done enough self-talk to know the program is super competitive and that I should try again next year, and add a few other schools as well. 

Hopefully we all get some posti e results soon :)

Jung...we're in the same boat. I only applied to the HED PhD at Penn.

I'm very hopeful that interview invites will go out by the end of the week. The anticipation is killing me.

There is a rumor going around that I hoped I could get some perspective on. On some of the other UPenn threads it is mentioned that the status changes to "under review" from "ready to review" when the committee is actually reviewing your batch of applications. I was wondering if anyone had had their status change or if you think that this is truly just a rumor. 

Thanks!!

51 minutes ago, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

There is a rumor going around that I hoped I could get some perspective on. On some of the other UPenn threads it is mentioned that the status changes to "under review" from "ready to review" when the committee is actually reviewing your batch of applications. I was wondering if anyone had had their status change or if you think that this is truly just a rumor. 

Thanks!!

Well, mine has said "ready for review" since 12/13.  I sent Penn an updated transcript last week and they said that they added it to my file, so I assume that means it wasn't too late (aka nobody that makes decisions has actually looked at my application yet)... sometime this week or next week will be my "4 weeks" of waiting of the 4-8 week window (i assume it's slower now than it was for those who heard back within 4 weeks prior to the holidays)... so I'll definitely be keeping my eye open for this :)  I'd love to know also if that's true... and then I wonder how quickly after it says "under review" you would get your decision?

Can you link to the other threads you saw this for?  I assume it's not GSE, so it might be true for other schools but not here...

4 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Can you link to the other threads you saw this for?  I assume it's not GSE, so it might be true for other schools but not here...

I will look and see if I can find them. I have been keeping an eye on some of the science boards as my brother is also applying and I am almost as nervous for him as I am for myself. So I assume it is posted there.

I would assume that as you are applying for a masters you might not hear back until after the PhDs and EdDs hear back but that should be happening soon so hopefully everyone will hear soon . 

8 minutes ago, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

I will look and see if I can find them. I have been keeping an eye on some of the science boards as my brother is also applying and I am almost as nervous for him as I am for myself. So I assume it is posted there.

I would assume that as you are applying for a masters you might not hear back until after the PhDs and EdDs hear back but that should be happening soon so hopefully everyone will hear soon . 

Yeah, you're probably right, but a few masters candidates heard back before Christmas, so I'm still hopeful that they will abide by the 4-6 week thing.  Or 6-8.

16 hours ago, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

Thanks!!

Mine has said "Ready for Review" since 12/8. I just checked to see if it has changed but it has not.

I'm desperate for any update. I checked last year's Penn GSE thread yesterday and saw that the dates for doctoral interview weekends were on the Penn GSE event calendar by this time last year. I checked though and it doesn't look like anything is on the February calendar yet.

21 minutes ago, phillyhed said:

Mine has said "Ready for Review" since 12/8. I just checked to see if it has changed but it has not.

I'm desperate for any update. I checked last year's Penn GSE thread yesterday and saw that the dates for doctoral interview weekends were on the Penn GSE event calendar by this time last year. I checked though and it doesn't look like anything is on the February calendar yet.

I'd say all you PhD applicants should have info in the next week or two, for SURE!  

Waiting is killing me too, just knowing I could hear back any time between now and mid-Feb depending on how processing is going!

I also saw that last year/the year before, people actually received emails to check their decisions at 10:20 PM (EST) or even 1:30 AM!  Beats me how/why that happens, as I'm sure there's no human being sending those out that late at night... but it makes you lose sleep thinking you might possibly hear back from them IN YOUR SLEEP!

I also noticed that several people said they saw their decision on the website and then it was a full day before they received an email notifying them to actually check it... so obviously it's the Penn app page to refresh, not your email! :)

Hi all,

Mine also said ready for review and hasn't changed.

I e-mailed my POI a couple weeks ago about possibly meeting up with his current students and he replied today. He said that things have been very busy (as I suspected) and that they were hoping that the first phase of the PhD admission process would be done by the 2nd week in February. This next part is me drawing conclusions: I'm assuming invites will be out by next Friday, then the Interviews will be the 2 weeks later, that first weekend in February and then they will meet and chat the following week?

Hi! I've been following this thread for a while so i thought I would join. I am applying for a master's in Language and Literacy and I am straight from a top 5 liberal arts undergrad. Is there anyone also looking at the same program and has an idea of its acceptance rate?

On 1/11/2016 at 1:25 PM, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

Thanks!!

I don't believe this is true! Mine has said Ready for review since 12/3, and i emailed them a week ago to add a document but they said they couldn't because they already sent my application out for review. So I don't think that changes! Hopefully I will get a response soon...

13 minutes ago, nrvsandexcited94 said:

I don't believe this is true! Mine has said Ready for review since 12/3, and i emailed them a week ago to add a document but they said they couldn't because they already sent my application out for review. So I don't think that changes! Hopefully I will get a response soon...

Interesting!  Mine was marked Ready for Review 12/13, and I emailed them a document on 1/7 (my new transcript) to add, and they said they were able to add it (and I can see it reflected on my app status page that it was submitted 1/7)... so I guess that means they hadn't really looked at mine yet, but they looked at yours?  Unless your document wasn't as "important" to them?

The difference in the documents being accepted might be that @Heather1011 your a masters student right? and @nrvsandexcited94 I think is a PhD candidate.
So maybe they are focusing on the PhD candidates at the moment as they have to be done with them in time to get the invites out for the interview weekend, which might mean that masters are currently on hold allowing them to update masters file as they are not with the adcom/professors. 

Just a thought

2 hours ago, TheMonkeyOnMyBack said:

The difference in the documents being accepted might be that @Heather1011 your a masters student right? and @nrvsandexcited94 I think is a PhD candidate.
So maybe they are focusing on the PhD candidates at the moment as they have to be done with them in time to get the invites out for the interview weekend, which might mean that masters are currently on hold allowing them to update masters file as they are not with the adcom/professors. 

Just a thought

This makes sense :)  You're probably right, although I though @nrvsandexcited94 is a masters candidate (fresh out of college?).  Although I like to believe that they are concurrently going through masters students... I mean, it is the faculty of each program that reviews the applications, I assume... and not all of them have to be looking at PhD candidates....

Edited by Heather1011

5 minutes ago, JungAndNotAFreud said:

I find it funny (not really) that there are only 45 replies on this thread but it has over 2k views. Either there's a ton of lurkers or the few of us commenting have been neurotically checking this page for updates....LOL 

I'm pretty neurotic about checking but I only open it when there's an update so I'm not taking sole responsibility. :huh:

Because PhD interview invites went out last year on Friday, January 16, I'm a nervous wreck. Fingers crossed!

4 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

This makes sense :)  You're probably right, although I though @nrvsandexcited94 is a masters candidate (fresh out of college?).  Although I like to believe that they are concurrently going through masters students... I mean, it is the faculty of each program that reviews the applications, I assume... and not all of them have to be looking at PhD candidates....

@TheMonkeyOnMyBack hi! I am a masters student applying for language and literacy at HGSE and penn gse. my document was a transcript update of my fall 15 grades. I think they probably got mine out before christmas since i technically submitted on 11/23. my final rec just didn't come in til 12/3. I think they are going through both! i am at week 4 and a half though excluding christmas so I have been obsessively checking!

14 minutes ago, nrvsandexcited94 said:

@TheMonkeyOnMyBack hi! I am a masters student applying for language and literacy at HGSE and penn gse. my document was a transcript update of my fall 15 grades. I think they probably got mine out before christmas since i technically submitted on 11/23. my final rec just didn't come in til 12/3. I think they are going through both! i am at week 4 and a half though excluding christmas so I have been obsessively checking!

Awesome!  Let us know when you hear, mine should be around the corner!  So frustrating because mine was submitted 11/27, but my recommender didn't submit till 12/13 despite me telling her 12/1 at the latest :(

Hi all!

I am absolutely guilty of lurking in these forums. I applied for the PhD in quantitative methods and have been anxiously awaiting a response. Just as phillyhed mentioned, invites were issued around this time last year so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Best of luck to everyone here!

49 minutes ago, rohander said:

Hi all!

I am absolutely guilty of lurking in these forums. I applied for the PhD in quantitative methods and have been anxiously awaiting a response. Just as phillyhed mentioned, invites were issued around this time last year so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Best of luck to everyone here!

I'm in the same boat - applied for a PhD as well. I hope that the timeline will be similar to last year's. Hopefully we'll hear some news soon!