Penn GSE 2016

phillyhed

Same here----I'm expecting a response no later than next Friday. 

I'm only applying to one school, so this is the only board I've been checking, aside from the education interviews board. I was pretty chill up until this week. I know by next week I'll be refreshing this page hourly :blink:

Edited by JungAndNotAFreud
Fixing emojis

So bummed that it doesn't seem like interview invites have gone out. It's going to be at least four days more because GSE is closed on Monday.

Fingers crossed that we Phd folks hear something next week!

I GOT IN TODAY!!!!!  $10K merit scholarship!!! So overjoyed!

BTW, it never said "under review".... I was refreshing it ALL DAY, no change, and then at 5:10 PM EST I received an email telling me to check the website (was on my way home from work so had the agony of sitting on the subway for 40 minutes hyperventilating).

I'm not sure if this is a "know before you read it thing", but when I logged in my page looked exactly the same except there was a "View Your Decision Letter" and a "Complete Your Decision Form" button, so I thought the second button was probably a sign before I viewed the decision that I was accepted, because if you're rejected there probably wouldn't be a form button to complete.  Just a thought on that.

16 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

BTW, it never said "under review".... I was refreshing it ALL DAY, no change, and then at 5:10 PM EST I received an email telling me to check the website (was on my way home from work so had the agony of sitting on the subway for 40 minutes hyperventilating).

I'm not sure if this is a "know before you read it thing", but when I logged in my page looked exactly the same except there was a "View Your Decision Letter" and a "Complete Your Decision Form" button, so I thought the second button was probably a sign before I viewed the decision that I was accepted, because if you're rejected there probably wouldn't be a form button to complete.  Just a thought on that.

Congratulations! This is fantastic!!!

53 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

CONGRATULATIONS! Hopefully I will hear soon!! that's so amazing! What did you apply for?

2 hours ago, nrvsandexcited94 said:

CONGRATULATIONS! Hopefully I will hear soon!! that's so amazing! What did you apply for?

Since you submitted before me, I'm sure yours is RIGHT around the corner!! Probably next week!  I bet it varies by department and yours is perhaps more popular?  

International Educational Development Program (IEDP). It's a pretty small cohort usually, 30-40 students I think, so this is very thrilling.  I have no experience in international ed really, just three years teaching in inner city NYC, so I'm glad they valued that experience and my reasons for wanting to shift careers.  I basically felt like a recent college grad applying to this, because the majority of what I spoke about was my experience and course of study in college research.  I think my strong GRE writing score must have helped my acceptance, as well as a good GPA from a prestigious undergraduate institution.  I still can't really believe it.  Penn is definitely my #1 or #2 choice at this point.  $10K sounds average aid to me, but then I realized it's $70K for the program, so overall not making much of a dent. 

I noticed that tuition is listed as $44K for a year, but $70K for the entire program.  I would like some clarification if you do the 1 year route it costs 25K less?  It'll be hard to think about doing it in 1 or 1.5 years.

Edited by Heather1011

5 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Congrats!!

and thanks for the insight on the site! 

Also, I just want to point out that I received my decision---if you don't count Christmas break when no one was working---within 3 work weeks of applying! :)  A good sign that they are processing things quickly this year.

16 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Since you submitted before me, I'm sure yours is RIGHT around the corner!! Probably next week!  I bet it varies by department and yours is perhaps more popular?  

International Educational Development Program (IEDP). It's a pretty small cohort usually, 30-40 students I think, so this is very thrilling.  I have no experience in international ed really, just three years teaching in inner city NYC, so I'm glad they valued that experience and my reasons for wanting to shift careers.  I basically felt like a recent college grad applying to this, because the majority of what I spoke about was my experience and course of study in college research.  I think my strong GRE writing score must have helped my acceptance, as well as a good GPA from a prestigious undergraduate institution.  I still can't really believe it.  Penn is definitely my #1 or #2 choice at this point.  $10K sounds average aid to me, but then I realized it's $70K for the program, so overall not making much of a dent. 

I noticed that tuition is listed as $44K for a year, but $70K for the entire program.  I would like some clarification if you do the 1 year route it costs 25K less?  It'll be hard to think about doing it in 1 or 1.5 years.

congratulations heather!!! great news! yeah, I was also wondering whether the 5 for the price of 4 thing was still valid (take 5 classes in the semester but only pay for 4). I remember reading about it last year when I was researching programs, but haven't seen it on the official site anywhere... does anyone know about this?

5 hours ago, marature said:

congratulations heather!!! great news! yeah, I was also wondering whether the 5 for the price of 4 thing was still valid (take 5 classes in the semester but only pay for 4). I remember reading about it last year when I was researching programs, but haven't seen it on the official site anywhere... does anyone know about this?

I've never even seen a "per credit" tuition break down... do you have a link for it?  I've only ever seen the lump-sum cost.

On 1/15/2016 at 6:20 PM, Heather1011 said:

Congratulations!!! :)

Congrats on your acceptance, Heather!

I've worn out the refresh on my browser today...if such a thing is possible.

I can't imagine that PhD interview invites will go out later than this Friday. The waiting is brutal.

Today I received a slightly more personal email from my program manager more personally welcoming me to the program and offering to answer questions, etc :)  Feels good to have human contact after seeing the acceptance letter, which a small part of me thought was a mistake or might disappear (so I've checked it a few times this week to make sure it's still there :wub:)

FYI:  Penn's program directors are very responsive and thorough!  I sent them an email with some personal questions to help me make a decision down the road.  In case any of this is helpful to you:

1.  Admitted students day will be Saturday, April 2nd.  I can't believe she actually told me this, LOL!  I really thought these things were mysterious.  I really hope this isn't the same day as HGSE's event... if I get in, I'd really need to visit both schools!  But the weekend before is Easter/Good Friday, and the weekend after seems way too late to have an event.... I hope they deliberately schedule these on different weekends.

2.  As for tuition, which was confusing to me, she said that all GSE tuition is based on credit units (1 CU = 1 course most of the time), so the cost of doing the program is 1 vs. 1.5 years in my case is mostly a differential of living expenses and not a tuition difference. 

Edited by Heather1011

19 hours ago, phillyhed said:

Congrats on your acceptance, Heather!

I've worn out the refresh on my browser today...if such a thing is possible.

I can't imagine that PhD interview invites will go out later than this Friday. The waiting is brutal.

Crazy, isn't it!!!

Things have been busy at work, so it's been kind of keeping my mind off things. But every time my phone rings with an unstored number or i get a new e-mail, I get anxious again -__-

2 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

FYI:  Penn's program directors are very responsive and thorough!  I sent them an email with some personal questions to help me make a decision down the road.  In case any of this is helpful to you:

1.  Admitted students day will be Saturday, April 2nd.  I can't believe she actually told me this, LOL!  I really thought these things were mysterious.  I really hope this isn't the same day as HGSE's event... if I get in, I'd really need to visit both schools!  But the weekend before is Easter/Good Friday, and the weekend after seems way too late to have an event.... I hope they deliberately schedule these on different weekends.

2.  As for tuition, which was confusing to me, she said that all GSE tuition is based on credit units (1 CU = 1 course most of the time), so the cost of doing the program is 1 vs. 1.5 years in my case is mostly a differential of living expenses and not a tuition difference. 

Thanks for checking out the tuition thing. I see from my notes from last year's research that I did get a figure for how much each course cost, but they seem to have ditched that and only have the 'calculator' thing on the Web site. I do believe the 5 for the price of 4 thing must have been cancelled, since it's not mentioned anywhere either. So unfortunately it looks like the price stays the same, as you say, no matter whether you do it quicker or not!

2 minutes ago, marature said:

Thanks for checking out the tuition thing. I see from my notes from last year's research that I did get a figure for how much each course cost, but they seem to have ditched that and only have the 'calculator' thing on the Web site. I do believe the 5 for the price of 4 thing must have been cancelled, since it's not mentioned anywhere either. So unfortunately it looks like the price stays the same, as you say, no matter whether you do it quicker or not!

Are you leaning toward 1 or 1.5 years if you go to Penn?  I'm torn  but I think I'd prefer to do it in 1.5 because I'm new to the field and want to have enough time to experience everything and take it in, plus taking language courses on top of the curriculum, having a part-time job...

Also, anyone else attending the virtual open house tomorrow night at 7 PM? It's a Q&A with current students.  I'll be there asking every question on my mind!

Edited by Heather1011

1 minute ago, Heather1011 said:

Are you leaning toward 1 or 1.5 years if you go to Penn?  I'm torn  but I think I'd prefer to do it in 1.5 because I'm new to the field and want to have enough time to experience everything and take it in, plus taking language courses on top of the curriculum, having a part-time job...

Yeah I had thought definitely 1 year at first because of the tuition reduction, but now I'm not so sure. I would like to take language courses and would need to work at the same time too... but I think I am still leaning toward 1 yr at the moment.

Your rationale for 1.5 yrs makes sense for your situation, I would encourage you to take as much time and learn as much as possible, because once you get on the field, it's harder to take time out (which is my situation - I'm planning to go back to my current job, so I don't want to be away too long). Also getting to the highest level of language proficiency possible is always a plus. I've taken time out here and there to improve on language, but it's good if you can do it earlier.

4 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Also, anyone else attending the virtual open house tomorrow night at 7 PM? It's a Q&A with current students.  I'll be there asking every question on my mind!

Hadn't heard about it! Thanks for the heads up - unfortunately it's not a good time for my time zone, but do let us know what you find out :)

1 hour ago, marature said:

Hadn't heard about it! Thanks for the heads up - unfortunately it's not a good time for my time zone, but do let us know what you find out :)

I'll take notes, and if you have any questions you want me to ask, let me know! :)

There is another web chat with current students that may be more convenient for your time zone:  March 2 9 AM EST, you can register online.

Another day of no news...sigh.

My evening will consist of a bubble bath, a book, and wine! My anxiety level is off the charts.

My wife asked me last night what I'm going to do if I get the interview-- assuming that the stress will stay the same or ratchet up. I explained to her that I don't expect that to happen since I'll actually have some control over the interview. Right now, I can't do anything and it's making me crazy!

57 minutes ago, phillyhed said:

Another day of no news...sigh.

My evening will consist of a bubble bath, a book, and wine! My anxiety level is off the charts.

My wife asked me last night what I'm going to do if I get the interview-- assuming that the stress will stay the same or ratchet up. I explained to her that I don't expect that to happen since I'll actually have some control over the interview. Right now, I can't do anything and it's making me crazy!

Sorry no news yet :(  Maybe they like to release information on Fridays.  I've seen that in past threads, and I found out about my acceptance on a Friday afternoon.  But I totally agree that when things are in your control, like preparing for an interview, you can feel calmer knowing the ball in temporarily in your court.  Of course, after the interview, it's back to panic mode...

That wasn't helpful :mellow:.  My fingers are crossed for you to hear good news soon!!!