Dual/concurrent Degrees in different areas

Ah.  The reason I ask was because I was wondering if it was possible to take advantage of the tuition waiver to take some extra graduate courses that are not necessarily related to your main PhD.  If it would take away too much time from the PhD, I can see myself taking an extra course every now and then in business, but I don't know if I want to commit to the full masters or not.

If your PI agrees then there usually is no real issue with taking a couple of business classes. You can just get introduced to the area - no need to commit to another degree or anything that drastic.

If your PI agrees then there usually is no real issue with taking a couple of business classes. You can just get introduced to the area - no need to commit to another degree or anything that drastic.

This depends on the school, but it's often not just your PI who has to agree when you go that far out of your discipline.

I know a lot of the PIs at my school in most STEM fields complain bitterly when their students take business classes, and many block them from taking them. They even tried to squash a new certificate from the business school in innovation/intellectual property development.

You may end up with one that doesn't mind, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

^ definitely true. I guess I'm on the lucky side since most of the PIs in my dept tend to be understanding in this regard (as long as it isn't taking away too much time from your research).

Well, I'll definitively make sure to have research be my number 1 focus, if my PI allows it, I may audit a class.

If not would there be any issues with sitting in on a lecture every now and then?

At my school, we are allowed to take many courses outside of our field of interest but our advisor must sign off on them. The classes that students take are often in Computer Science (just for fun, for training, or for a minor), English, Education, Theatre Arts or Languages. Most of these classes are actually aimed at science students taking them for fun/interest because out of the list above, our school does not offer graduate programs in any of them except for CS. We are not allowed to earn a second degree, except in very rare cases. Sometimes, the second degree could be earned through a joint program with another nearby school (e.g. we have a MD/PhD program where the PhD part is done here and the MD part is at a nearby school). I also know PhD students at other schools that can get dual PhDs from partnerships between multiple schools (e.g. U. Maryland and Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile offer a joint program where students can get two PhDs, one from each school).

• 1 month later...

I would have to say at my school they are very willing to work with you to help you get what programs you want/need (of course as long as you meet their requirements). I also agree that it may result in only partial funding of your tuition however.