Medical SLP interest: volunteering, schools?

jmk

Any insight or ideas for ways to volunteer, or schools with a medical focus? So far I have: 

Volunteering: 

• Hospital setting: try to shadow rehab dept esp SLP's

Schools:

• Rush
  • MGH
  • NY Medical College
  • University of Washington MedSLP focus
  • Uni of Ohio
  • Uni of Pittsburgh? 
  • Case Western
  • Akron?

I volunteered with a medical SLP one summer and it was a great experience! I also visited NYMC and loved it. I think you're on the right track! Also try seeing if any hospitals near you are hiring newborn hearing screeners! It's a great way to hospital experience and make extra money.

1 hour ago, cmm28 said:

I volunteered with a medical SLP one summer and it was a great experience! I also visited NYMC and loved it. I think you're on the right track! Also try seeing if any hospitals near you are hiring newborn hearing screeners! It's a great way to hospital experience and make extra money.

Do you need a completed bachelor's degree or any other type of certification to work as a newborn hearing screener? 

29 minutes ago, speechie94 said:

Do you need a completed bachelor's degree or any other type of certification to work as a newborn hearing screener? 

I was only able to do it for a month but in my case no, I don't think so. All the training was provided on-the-job.