Plan B if rejected

AllSmiles0086

I've applied to 3 graduate schools so far. I've done the best I could in college and in my internships. That being said, I know the 3 schools I've applied to have very competitive programs.

I know if I don't get accepted into any of the three, I'm going to need a plan B.

What are some things I can do for plan B? I know getting a full-time job is one option. Anything else?

Apply to many more schools! Getting into grad school is more competitive than ever. I know many who have been rejected from all schools the first and even second time they apply to get in. There must be more schools somewhere. Ask your professors for advice on where to apply. But again, I'd recommend applying to many more and at different levels (reach school, match and safety). Again, when you apply to grad schools you must remember you aren't really applying to schools but departments. It's the department that has the rep so research some places.

If you need to go to plan be consider some of these options:

Work full time.

Temp full time to try different things.

Peace Core.

Teach English in a foreign country.

Travel.

Intern.

Try getting a fellowship or residency in your field.

Gear up for the enxt round of applications.

Or do a combo of all of these things.

Good luck.

What are your career goals? Teach? Research? You could research as a practitioner. If you have a masters, you might be able to teach at the community college level (although this puts you in competition with people with PhDs). Is there a career services organization you could check in with to see what you might want to do and how to get there?

Eek! Three is not enough! I know this from experience- apply to as many as you possibly can to increase your odds of getting in to at least one. That said, make sure you'd actually want to attend every school you apply to. You still have enough time to apply to more schools for admission next fall.

All of my advice is assuming you are trying to get into a PhD program:

I would say if you are serious about getting a PhD you should definitely try applying to more schools. You will see many people on here applying at 20 schools. Your plan B should be getting in to a "safety" school. Your plan C could be trying to get a adjunct job at a small community college if you have a masters. If you don't then your plan C could probably be appying to Masters programs as that would help you get in to a PhD program.

I'm actually applying to get into a Master's program. I just graduated from college in May '09.

I am 22 years old, so a apart of me feels like if I don't get accepted this year...I'll be able to apply again next year. On the other hand, I really don't want to experience the whole application process again this time next year.

I'm 50/50 about wanting to go onto graduate school to get my Master's degree OR just getting a job for 1 year and apply again.

However, since the economy is terrible...it's just as hard to get a job.

I'm actually applying to get into a Master's program. I just graduated from college in May '09.

I am 22 years old, so a apart of me feels like if I don't get accepted this year...I'll be able to apply again next year. On the other hand, I really don't want to experience the whole application process again this time next year.

I'm 50/50 about wanting to go onto graduate school to get my Master's degree OR just getting a job for 1 year and apply again.

However, since the economy is terrible...it's just as hard to get a job.

I applied to 3 programs for my master's as well. Granted, that was in a different discipline than education, and I had geographic limitations as well. Now I'm in the PhD process. Like you, I wouldn't mind working if the PhD thing doesn't work out.

So yeah, you could apply to more programs. But if those 3 are the ones you really want to go to, you're not too interested in others, and it's not a huge deal to you if you don't get in, I don't see a problem with that.

Edited by alexis

If you don't get in anywhere, take a year off -- do some research, get an internship, whatever, to boost your "market value" in the eyes of grad school admissions committees. Maybe even take some extra classes to bring up your GPA. Joining the military is also always an option, and would moreover allow you to take care of the pesky financing problem.

I'd say your best bet if you cant find a job and do not get in is a volunteer program such as the Peace Corps or AmeriCorps if you want to stay stateside. I did that when I came out of undergrad with zero job prospects before applying for a masters program. Added bonus in many cases you will get money for grad school or equally important, to pay off undergrad loans. I got nearly $5K towards my grad schooling and had 20% (yes percent) whacked off my undergrad loans due to my job assignment (teaching @ an inner city Chicago school).

my plan b is gettinga job and keeping up with my RA experiences

i think maybe its a canadian thing, all the profs i talk to/ other students i know applying to grad school think i am applying to a ridiculous amount (i'm doing 10)

they all recommend i apply to 1-3 due to application costs iguess and that 'this isn't like undergrad applications, you don't just apply everywhere'

i get the whole increasing your odds to get in but at this point....i am still on my 1st SOP and.....feeel that my other....haha 9 will not be as strong.....i am doing general the same reserach area but i can't just use the same exact SOP for each school. it wouldn't be as strong as it could.