Citing Sources Found Within Another Source (MLA)

Hi all,

For my writing sample for apps, I'm working on a scholarly analysis of a novel using theory (from a book written by Professor Y).  In my paper, I've included some of the quotes from other sources that Professor Y cites, and rather than using "Qtd. in " I went directly to the other sources and included those in my works cited.  My question:  should I include end notes that explain that Professor Y's text led me to read these other articles?  I haven't found anything on the internet that suggests that I need to, but I'd prefer to over-cite rather than under-cite.  Could anyone shed some light?

Thanks in advance.  

In my work, I've never said so-and-so's work has led me to other articles. As long as you cite the article where the idea was from and give those authors credit, I don't see a problem. I should caution I am in a completely different field to you so I hope others may be able to give more field-specific advice.

I think too, as long as you've cited Professor Y's work too in relation to the theory, you cover all your bases. That's how it works in Biomechanics anyway. So a combination of citing the original ideas from the original works, plus the book you're using for the main theory should make sure you're fine. 

Thanks, telkanuru.  Would you do that in an introduction to an in-text citation or as a note?  I was thinking of doing it in my end notes so that it would sound less awkward.  Do you think it would be strange to put an end note that said: 1. Cited in Professor Y, p 99 (or something like that)?  The MLA guide that I saw online said to go directly to the original source, but made no mention of this.  

Oh, sorry, that complicates things. Just another reason why Chicago Notes & Bib is superior to all other citation formats. If you have in-text cites, I'd just drop the reference to the intermediary.

14 hours ago, rising_star said:

Why would you cite the intermediary if you ultimately used the original source?

The "intermediary" is the main critical text that I'm using so I was wondering if I should mention that these references were first cited by Professor Y.  I know it sounds weird.  I do have a few end notes already, so I could just add a couple more.  I'm guessing that's not necessary.

19 hours ago, telkanuru said:

Oh, sorry, that complicates things. Just another reason why Chicago Notes & Bib is superior to all other citation formats. If you have in-text cites, I'd just drop the reference to the intermediary.

Chicago style does seem like less of a hassle.  Thanks for your input : )