Clinical Experience in Research Oriented PhD Programs

La Rosa

Hello. I am will be applying to 12 clinical and counseling psychology PhD programs. Some of them are very research oriented and state on their website that they do not want to admit students that hope to develop a clinical career. My interest is in research and teaching. However I do have clinical experience. Should I state that I have that experience or this may hurt my chances of getting in?

Thank you

Thais

If your interests are RESEARCH, there's no problem in highlighting that you have experiences in both research and clinical work.

If anything, that's the kind of student that seems ideal for the program you want to apply to!

I'm kind of struggling with the same thing. Not that I wouldn't have a problem talking about my clinical interest but I'm wondering how much they care about it for phd level clinical psych programs. I'm struggling with explaining my research interests and experiences AND clinical interests and still keeping within some very strict word limits :( 

I decided to use my SOP to highlight my research experience and interests and only made a brief (as in 1-2 sentences) mention of clinical experience that directly relates to that.  On my CV I list all of my clinical experience, but it is listed way after my research experience.