PhD Applicants: Fall 2016

On March 3, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Chalice_As said:

Will do @soccergal87

I got an offer letter from NYU this morning though, PhD in EHS in their Department of Environmental Medicine. Yay! However, this was the only program I applied to that wasn't in a school of public health. That is definitely going to take away from its appeal. 

I am gonna have to sit down and make pro con lists  between Emory and NYU. Has anyone come across good ways of doing that? I read an article that suggested listing factors that I think are important, giving them a weight, score each school out of 10 for that factor and then add up the points (after multiplication with the weight) to get a total score for each school.

Any other suggestions? 

I just had to do the same thing. I wrote down everything, from location to networking. My biggest deciding factor was when I finish my degree what place will provide an easy transition to career or postdoc fellowship. Degrees are awesome, but with a PhD jobs are a little more competitive than MPH. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Dear All,

I recently submitted all of my Public Health PhD applications. I'm just looking to get some ideas about when I can expect to hear results if I am accepted into a particular program (guess the acceptances will generally be announced earlier than later) based on experiences from last year. Can someone share with me your experience? When do majority of the programs like to send out their decisions? I'm especially interested in knowing about the following:

1. Johns Hopkins (esp. mental health)

2. U Maryland College Park (social and behavioral sciences)

3. NYU (College of global public health)

4. Emory University (Health policy)

5. U Minnesota (Health policy and admin)

Thanks in advance!!

On 1/24/2016 at 8:22 AM, chef-web said:

Hi, I was the one who posted about the NYU interview. I applied to the College of Global Public Health. 

FYI interviews for the PhD in Public Health across different tracks at Yale have gone out as well.

Hello, do you mind sharing when you received admission into the NYU program last year (assuming you did)? Thanks!

11 hours ago, xyzpsych said:

Dear All,

I recently submitted all of my Public Health PhD applications. I'm just looking to get some ideas about when I can expect to hear results if I am accepted into a particular program (guess the acceptances will generally be announced earlier than later) based on experiences from last year. Can someone share with me your experience? When do majority of the programs like to send out their decisions? I'm especially interested in knowing about the following:

1. Johns Hopkins (esp. mental health)

2. U Maryland College Park (social and behavioral sciences)

3. NYU (College of global public health)

4. Emory University (Health policy)

5. U Minnesota (Health policy and admin)

Thanks in advance!!

hey there, I'm applying to similar programs to you and the way I know when they release decisions in through the gradcafe results portal. provided that schools release decisions about the same time as prior years, you can check results from previous years and see when they were posted!

best of luck with your apps :)

21 hours ago, dandelion8 said:

hey there, I'm applying to similar programs to you and the way I know when they release decisions in through the gradcafe results portal. provided that schools release decisions about the same time as prior years, you can check results from previous years and see when they were posted!

best of luck with your apps :)

Yes I am doing that. Can't find info on all prgs tho :( But thanks anyways :)