PhD Applicants: Fall 2016

Hi everybody, I just noticed this thread was a thing. I was one of the applicants that got accepted to Harvard's Biological Sciences in Public Health PhD program (on the 12th), is that the one you guys are referring to? Because I kinda forget how they did it again, but I'm not sure if this is associated with the other parts of the school. It might be a late for any questions though...

Anyone else waiting to hear from Hopkins International Health GDEC track? I have a feeling they already gave out their 4 spots allocated spots already based on the self-reports on GradCafe. I hope they still have a spot or two open among the shared spots between the other tracks. Either way I hope they don't make leave us in suspense for too much longer. 

For those that are getting positive news - congratulations!

34 minutes ago, HJin said:

If anyone got into UCSF's Epidemiology and Translational Science PhD program and doesn't plan on accepting, PLEASE dear god reject the offer ASAP. I got wait-listed and UCSF is my first choice school.

Haha Cute but what makes you think you are the only one on the waitlist? Also, people who received acceptances have all the right to weigh their options until April. Patience is a virtue.

24 minutes ago, Jade355 said:

Haha Cute but what makes you think you are the only one on the waitlist? Also, people who received acceptances have all the right to weigh their options until April. Patience is a virtue.

I was told by the program director that I am one of two who are on the waitlist. Also, you can leave you condescending attitude at the door thanks.

It seems like in previous years people sometimes had to ask UNC their decision to find out they got rejected, does any one know if that's the case?

Also, I'm sure it's very tense being on a waitlist; I just got rejected from UCSF myself but it would be good not to rush anyone who got accepted. It's out of our hands entirely and everything will all be figured out in April.

12 hours ago, Fall2106 said:

has anyone heard back from UIC?

I had an interview on Wednesday. She kinda hinted I was in, she said to expect a call from program director. I applied to community health.

19 minutes ago, Jade355 said:

Go re-read your previous comment and then we will talk about attitude thanks.

Oh, I did and I've come to the conclusion that you clearly haven't. Feel free to continue downvoting all my posts. I'm done responding to you. Nothing to gain from arguing with someone on the internet.

15 minutes ago, HJin said:

Oh, I did and I've come to the conclusion that you clearly haven't. Feel free to continue downvoting all my posts. I'm done responding to you. Nothing to gain from arguing with someone on the internet.

Good luck HJin,UCSF is a great school and I am sure people would turn down their offers soon enough if they have a better offer!

Waiting is always hard (especially on the waitlist) and frustrating. However, it DOES make that final acceptance so much sweeter when you get it :) Trust me, I just went through it this month LOL

26 minutes ago, HJin said:

Okay, you really don't get it. do you? Pressuring (or begging) people to decline is such a immature thing to do.

I really hope you get in so you do not ever come back here.

14 minutes ago, COGSCI said:

Good luck HJin,UCSF is a great school and I am sure people would turn down their offers soon enough if they have a better offer!

Waiting is always hard (especially on the waitlist) and frustrating. However, it DOES make that final acceptance so much sweeter when you get it :) Trust me, I just went through it this month LOL

Thanks for your encouraging words! Congrats on getting accepted!

Out of curiosity - do all schools have a common date for students to accept or decline? I've heard of the occasional program (like BU) that gives you a set time (e.g. two weeks) to accept their offer, but I'm more interested in schools that don't pressure you into a quick decision. 

44 minutes ago, storm_jonas said:

Out of curiosity - do all schools have a common date for students to accept or decline? I've heard of the occasional program (like BU) that gives you a set time (e.g. two weeks) to accept their offer, but I'm more interested in schools that don't pressure you into a quick decision. 

I think they usually give you until April 15th to decide, but there are a few exceptions. I know Canadian schools are on a different timeline altogether and London School of Tropical Medicine gives you a month to decide from the time they notify you.

4 hours ago, 2016Epi said:

It seems like in previous years people sometimes had to ask UNC their decision to find out they got rejected, does any one know if that's the case?

It looks like most people who replied in the results section from previous years got emails about their rejections. I don't know if everyone else had similar experiences, but a member of the faculty did email me to have a sort of quasi-interview over the phone (which ended up being in-person because I'm local) a few weeks before I received my acceptance. That might have been pretty specific to my circumstances, though. No news can definitely be good news, but it doesn't hurt to call or email the coordinator and do a friendly check in. Good luck to you!

2 minutes ago, Epi_2016_LO said:

It looks like most people who replied in the results section from previous years got emails about their rejections. I don't know if everyone else had similar experiences, but a member of the faculty did email me to have a sort of quasi-interview over the phone (which ended up being in-person because I'm local) a few weeks before I received my acceptance. That might have been pretty specific to my circumstances, though. No news can definitely be good news, but it doesn't hurt to call or email the coordinator and do a friendly check in. Good luck to you!

Thanks that helps! I just got up the guts to ask so we'll see how it goes. Congratulations on the acceptance! :)

8 hours ago, calilife said:

I had an interview on Wednesday. She kinda hinted I was in, she said to expect a call from program director. I applied to community health.

Thanks for your info and congrats on your upcoming acceptance.

I applied to Epi & Biostats. Rumors say that UIC often give their final decision so so late, applicants even need to call the coordinator to know their status (yea, at least for Epi applicants). I really want to know whats going on with their decision-making, so that I can plan to land on other university :D.

10 hours ago, HJin said:

If anyone got into UCSF's Epidemiology and Translational Science PhD program and doesn't plan on accepting, PLEASE dear god reject the offer ASAP. I got wait-listed and UCSF is my first choice school.

I feel you on the waitlists. I am waitlisted at my top choice program, but I probably won't hear anything back until I after I have to make decisions on some of the other schools.  Any advice from people who have been/are in this position? When do you bite the bullet and go with your other options? 

Gah! I'm not the person I thought I was! I thought the wait would truly be A-ok! NOT! I am obsessively checking to see if I got into IU. They have the best resources for sexual health and sexuality in public health and I just can't seem to relax...a few more weeks of waiting I'm sure! Going to Hawaii next week so I BETTER relax and enjoy it instead of obsessively worry. 

How is everyone else doing? Don't be coy or polite- be honest: what's scarier - not getting in or getting in a changing everything about life? I will be leaving my 10-year career and selling my house in the SF bay area (bought during the recession - will never find a similar house for the same price ever again). *SIGH*. I want this but I'm scared.

On 2/27/2016 at 8:12 PM, Janie2 said:

I feel you on the waitlists. I am waitlisted at my top choice program, but I probably won't hear anything back until I after I have to make decisions on some of the other schools.  Any advice from people who have been/are in this position? When do you bite the bullet and go with your other options? 

I let the professor who would serve as my adviser that I was waitlisted, and he said that he'll try and move things along from his side. Aside from that, I guess I just have to twiddle my thumbs until my status changes.

On 2/26/2016 at 2:59 PM, Jade355 said:

Okay, you really don't get it. do you? Pressuring (or begging) people to decline is such a immature thing to do.

I really hope you get in so you do not ever come back here.

To be fair, you really came at Hjin wrong. EVERYONE waitlisted has made similar posts to HJin's in various threads and the results board. Your "LoL cute" comment was very snarky and uncalled for. There are some ppl who make decisions and never tell the other schools they aren't going so the waitlisted ppl are left in limbo. Saying please reject ASAP is totally okay, because HJin was succinct in saying if you got accepted and don't plan on going, can you say something now. There is no malice and attitude in that...but your comment to HJin  was rude. 

Edited by TonyaB

On 2/27/2016 at 9:30 PM, Fall2106 said:

Thanks for your info and congrats on your upcoming acceptance.

I applied to Epi & Biostats. Rumors say that UIC often give their final decision so so late, applicants even need to call the coordinator to know their status (yea, at least for Epi applicants). I really want to know whats going on with their decision-making, so that I can plan to land on other university :D.

UIC can be rather late, at least in Epi/Bio-- I can't really speak to the other divisions.
When I was admitted to the MS Epi program in 2014, I heard by email from the student coordinator near the end of March. When I checked in before that I was told they had faculty out of the country and were behind on both MS and PhD applications.

This time around I heard back from the Cancer Epi PhD on 2/18. My application was treated as a transfer request (they even had me withdraw my SOPHAS application because apparently they didn't need it) and I was given the impression that they were getting back to me early since I'm internal. However I assume they must have also made decisions about some other people, or at least about rejections, to be able to get back to me. My impression was that they'd started reviewing PhD applications in late January, but wait for in-person meetings to move anything forward.

The coordinator for Epi/Bio was really nice to me as a nervous applicant when I emailed to check in, so I would recommend just contacting him. He was pretty clear with me about the timeline for my MS review once I asked. Good luck!

8 hours ago, TonyaB said:

To be fair, you really came at Hjin wrong. EVERYONE waitlisted has made similar posts to HJin's in various threads and the results board. Your "LoL cute" comment was very snarky and uncalled for. There are some ppl who make decisions and never tell the other schools they aren't going so the waitlisted ppl are left in limbo. Saying please reject ASAP is totally okay, because HJin was succinct in saying if you got accepted and don't plan on going, can you say something now. There is no malice and attitude in that...but your comment to HJin  was rude. 

Okay, thank you for your input. Let me now make a few points,

1. First of all, "EVERYONE waitlisted has made similar posts to HJin's in various threads and the results board" is a false, overly generalized statement. Many people, myself included, patiently wait and respect others of their right to decide until the official April deadline. 

2. Even if many waitlisted candidates make such posts, that does not make it right. To give an extreme example, just because there are many people cheating during an exam, it does not make cheating an appropriate action to take. Therefore, you are a presenting a weak argument.

3.  By saying "There are some ppl who make decisions and never tell the other schools they aren't going so the waitlisted ppl are left in limbo", you are giving a negative connotation for people who have received multiple acceptances. Yes, some, as a courtesy, choose to withdraw from other schools after they make their decisions, but you cannot blame others who choose to do otherwise. 

Good night

@HJin @TonyaB @Jade355

I think all sides have made strong points. That said, let's just understand that this is a very stressful time for everyone on all sides of the application spectrum! We all want desperately to get into our most desired programs!

We're all in public health and may run into each other at conferences and workshops in the future. Is it too sappy to say "can't we all just get along"? Yeah? Too much? :)

You all have wonderful things to contribute to the world of public health, hence why we're all applying and hoping to study, research, and add to the field! 

Hey guys!
Is anybody planning to go to the UNC "Experience Gillings" event for admitted students on April 1st ?!
I just found out that I got accepted there! It was kind of a surprise, but I'm really happy about it!!! :) (Funding is a separate process) 
I'm looking forward to get to know the school and the program a little bit better.
The website says you are supposed to make your own arrangements for travel and lodging though...
Any thoughts?!