PhD Applicants: Fall 2016

4 hours ago, EpiGirl2016 said:

I didn't have an interview. The only time I heard from them after I applied was this morning when I got an acceptance e-mail from the program director and then later this evening when I received an e-mail from professors I had identified in my SOP. My stats are in my first post on this thread. The only potentially useful information that I have is that they said official notices will go out next week.

Well congrats! I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed until next week

Edited by storm_jonas

On 2/10/2016 at 3:12 PM, frickv said:

Someone posted admission to the HSOP Program at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Congrats!

Anyone applied to the same program? Have you heard back from them?

All my fingers and toes crossed...

I was admitted to the HSOP PhD program - received an email on Feb 3rd. Since being admitted, I've been contacted by several current students and professors who I'd probably work with. Visit day is on March 11

My Friend account page changed after receiving the email - maybe you could check that to see if anything has changed?

Hi all

I am new hear and I don't know where I should to ask this question.;)

I am an international student, I need some advise:rolleyes: your advise is very important for me.

This is my profile

BSc in Public Health GPA 3.65 (Best  P H School in country)

MSc in Epidemiology GPA 3.85(First rank university in country) Grad of thesis A

I got 21 rank in notional Epidemiology exam for getting Master program. 21/1200 Also first rank in Epidemiologic methods course (95% response)

GRE (I will take after 5 or 6 month)

3 Epidemiology paper in native language.

1 paper submit(ISI)

Researcher in Cohort Study(5 month)

Research in field(1 year)

Member of Charity institute(for Research) 

Research consultant: 6 Masters thesis( design of study, data analysis....)

I enrolled in 7 workshop about Software and Statistics.

interest: Cardiovascular Epidemiology and Cancer Epidemiology

Regarding my profile which departments you recommend me to apply for PhD Epidemiology program?

Thank you

Edited by epidemiology1

On 2/13/2016 at 6:02 PM, epidemiology1 said:

Regarding my profile which departments you recommend me to apply for PhD Epidemiology program?

Thank you

Those stats and experiences look good. If you're applying to PhD programs the main questions are - what kind of questions are you hoping to answer? What kind of methods would you employ? Do you have specific diseases/pathogens or populations of interest? If you can answer those questions and can find a faculty member that would be interested in your answers then you'll be set. 

Hopefully this won't be just vain hope on my end -- but is there any chance that Harvard PHS notifies applicants at different dates depending on their tracks? So far it looks like most of the PHS acceptances on the results board are for Epi. I applied to the Social & Behavioral Sciences track.

@EpiGirl2016, do you have any thoughts?

1 hour ago, chef-web said:

Hopefully this won't be just vain hope on my end -- but is there any chance that Harvard PHS notifies applicants at different dates depending on their tracks? So far it looks like most of the PHS acceptances on the results board are for Epi. I applied to the Social & Behavioral Sciences track.

I also applied to the SBS track, but my guess is that Harvard already notified all admitted and waitlisted students. Any number of reasons could explain this (more faculty demand for epi track students compared to other subfields, epi applicants more likely to post here, etc.). 

11 minutes ago, chef-web said:

Thanks @Familiar Heron -- may I ask if you were already notified by Harvard PHS? :)

No worries, and I hope that I'm not sounding like a downer!

Harvard hasn't notified me, so I'm pretty sure that I'm in the rejection pool. It sucks to see the acceptances, but there are other options, thankfully.

2 hours ago, chef-web said:

I know nothing. I won't even speculate because I have 0 idea at all if all decisions are out or if they are releasing them by track.

Congrats to those who got into Hopkins Epidemiology and International Health! 

Someone posted about getting a decision from International Health at Hopkins - could you specify which track? I know each track get a set allocations, but I thought they would all announce at the same time.

3 hours ago, storm_jonas said:

Someone posted about getting a decision from International Health at Hopkins - could you specify which track? I know each track get a set allocations, but I thought they would all announce at the same time.

IH at Hopkins does not all announce at the same time - the programs are pretty independent despite being in the same department. 

3 hours ago, storm_jonas said:

I heard back from the GDEC track. I interviewed ~1.5 weeks ago.  Good luck!

Edited by Janie2

@Mb They sent out all initial acceptances last week. Harvard does not usually send out "official" rejections until last minute. So while there is a slight possibility that few candidates are on the wait-list, it is more likely that if someone did not hear from Harvard last week, they are rejected.

Thanks for the info, Jade355! May I ask where you have that information from? I called the office and they said that decisions are mailed out as soon as they are made 

29 minutes ago, Mb said:

Thanks for the info, Jade355! May I ask where you have that information from? I called the office and they said that decisions are mailed out as soon as they are made

Hi, above comment was based on how Harvard released its admissions decisions in the previous years. I assumed that the selection process would be roughly the same. Also, two people (yes, small sample size) that I know were accepted last week (on the 12th to be exact) and Gradcafe results page seemed to be consistent with that.

I am aware that HSPH re-branded its doctoral program (Population Health Sciences). So of course there is a chance that they now do it differently (e.g. in several waves instead of single release).

I am this year's applicant as well, and did not hear from them yet. So I am assuming that I am rejected...

On February 12, 2016 at 6:38 PM, EpiGirl2016 said:

I didn't have an interview. The only time I heard from them after I applied was this morning when I got an acceptance e-mail from the program director and then later this evening when I received an e-mail from professors I had identified in my SOP. My stats are in my first post on this thread. The only potentially useful information that I have is that they said official notices will go out next week.

Hi EpiGirl2016, did you receive you official notification yet?

"To check on the status of your PhD application you must call 617-496-6100 between 2 pm and 5 pm EST.  All information on admissions status is handled through the GSAS Office of Admissions."

--> a reply from a coordinator of a department. So in case you havent heard anything from Harvard, you can call to check your admission status.

I, myself, however dont do it. I havent heard a peep from them, so I assume I am rejected and look for other opportunity out there.

Has anyone heard back from the following schools? Interviews, Rejections, etc

UMass Amherst (clinical psychology)

Boston University (clinical psychology)

Emory University (clinical psychology)

UCLA (clinical psychology)

U of Washington (clinical psychology)

Arizona State (clinical psychology)

SUNY Stony Brook (clinical psychology)

Has anyone heard back from Hopkins International Health - Human Nutrition field?

I am waitlisted at HSPH for the SBS track in the pop health sciences program. Any idea what are the chances that I will convert this? How many are usually on the waitlist? 

4 hours ago, PHN2016 said:

Has anyone heard back from Hopkins International Health - Human Nutrition field?

I am waitlisted at HSPH for the SBS track in the pop health sciences program. Any idea what are the chances that I will convert this? How many are usually on the waitlist? 

How did you find out about your wait list status ?? I didn't hear anything from them yet