PhD Applicants: Fall 2016

On 1/30/2016 at 10:16 AM, SocialScientist_16 said:

Hi everyone, 

I am a little late to this forum. Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted so far! I am curious if anyone has heard back from UNC Health Behavior PhD? I saw that someone posted in the results, and wanted to see if the person was here to share some details. Thanks!!

I received notification and was admitted on Friday (2/5). It was an email from the graduate school to check the website for the decision. Not sure what you are applying for- I applied for the MSPH to PhD program. I haven't received any information about funding, but I have another offer, and I am eager to hear from them about options. I'll probably wait a week or so and then touch base with the department admin. 

Does anyone know about funding for MSPH to PhD programs at UNC Gillings? 

Are the results post about interviews at Harvard just for DrPH applicants? There was a post or two that said PhD instead of DrPH, but I'm assuming that was a typo. On an unrelated note - does Yale EMD plan on doing interviews?

Congrats to all the people who have heard back about interviews/acceptances!

Claiming another acceptance in Health Behavior PhD at UNC, with no funding decision yet. 

@storm_jonas I think all Yale interviews for the Public Health programs (including EMD) are taking place this week. I applied to a different concentration, so I might be wrong though.

@chef-web and @L265  Thanks for the responses. I also applied to the Health Behavior PhD at UNC. Out of curiosity, did you find out through an email to check the webpage or through an email from faculty member? Also does your acceptance letter tell you who your advisor will be? 

Thanks again and many congratulations!!

2 hours ago, SocialScientist_16 said:

@chef-web and @L265  Thanks for the responses. I also applied to the Health Behavior PhD at UNC. Out of curiosity, did you find out through an email to check the webpage or through an email from faculty member? Also does your acceptance letter tell you who your advisor will be? 

Thanks again and many congratulations!!

It was an email from the graduate school to check the website for the decision, and there was a link to the letter there. It did not tell me who my advisor would be...but I am eager to find out! I applied to work with a few people. Hope you hear soon. 

On 2/7/2016 at 11:26 AM, storm_jonas said:

Are the results post about interviews at Harvard just for DrPH applicants? There was a post or two that said PhD instead of DrPH, but I'm assuming that was a typo. On an unrelated note - does Yale EMD plan on doing interviews?

Congrats to all the people who have heard back about interviews/acceptances!

All tracks of the public health PhD programs at Yale interviewed yesterday

Question - how soon do decisions have to be made? Are they giving a deadline? Also, how soon have people found out about funding? Can they ensure the length of the program with funding? It'd be a shame to start and not get funding through the end.

1 hour ago, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

Question - how soon do decisions have to be made? Are they giving a deadline? Also, how soon have people found out about funding? Can they ensure the length of the program with funding? It'd be a shame to start and not get funding through the end.

Is this question directed at a particular school, or just in general? I think that most programs have a decision date of April 15. 

The interviews/visits that I have attended were paid for. You submit your receipts and the school will reimburse you. Some schools are more generous than others (i.e. some will reimburse for snacks/meals as well, others only do transportation/hotel). 

13 hours ago, calilife said:

Are you guys getting accepted student visit days funded or does that come out of pocket?

I think that I'll be visiting Minnesota in April, and the program coordinator said that they would reimburse up to $400 in travel expenses. Unsure if that includes meals or if they'll only cover flights, gas, lodging, etc.

Someone posted admission to the HSOP Program at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Congrats!

Anyone applied to the same program? Have you heard back from them?

All my fingers and toes crossed...

i see a couple of acceptances and interview requests for Columbia Public Health Sociomedial science PHD. Its my hope that everyone puts what sub-division they were interested in (history, anthro, sociology) in their postings so that I can breathe easier...lmao. I don't think they got around to the one I applied to yet. 

This is so nerve wrecking!!!

On 2/10/2016 at 8:55 PM, Familiar Heron said:

Is this question directed at a particular school, or just in general? I think that most programs have a decision date of April 15. 

Right, mid April is like the absolute deadline for most Ph.D. programs. However, if you do not hear from them by early March, you are either on the waitlist or silently rejected.

Congratulations to all the Harvard acceptances! To those that got accepted today, did you have an interview or were you contacted by anyone from the department in January? Could you please share any information with the rest of us if you can (approximately how many spots are being offered, how many applied, your stats, etc)? Thank you and congrats again :D 

4 hours ago, groot said:

Congratulations to all the Harvard acceptances! To those that got accepted today, did you have an interview or were you contacted by anyone from the department in January? Could you please share any information with the rest of us if you can (approximately how many spots are being offered, how many applied, your stats, etc)? Thank you and congrats again :D 

I didn't have an interview. The only time I heard from them after I applied was this morning when I got an acceptance e-mail from the program director and then later this evening when I received an e-mail from professors I had identified in my SOP. My stats are in my first post on this thread. The only potentially useful information that I have is that they said official notices will go out next week.