PhD Applicants: Fall 2016

17 minutes ago, HJin said:

This FAQ page is specifically written for the Population Health Sciences PhD program. Hm...

I'm afraid that you and I are in the same boat, my friend! Honestly, I would be surprised if HSPH did not interview candidates on their short list. Still, you got an interview at UCSF, which is an excellent school. 

13 minutes ago, etherealhav0c said:

Oh. Well then I guess there's no point in speculating or worrying about it until decisions come out in late February then! 

Congratulations on the interview, and best of luck! 

5 hours ago, EpiGirl2016 said:

Thanks a lot! I visited UNC before and loved the area and the program. Fingers crossed that the funding comes through. Congrats on your Harvard interview! Good luck with your application season!

26 minutes ago, Familiar Heron said:

I'm afraid that you and I are in the same boat, my friend! Honestly, I would be surprised if HSPH did not interview candidates on their short list. Still, you got an interview at UCSF, which is an excellent school. 

Thank you both! Fingers crossed that all turns out well for everyone. 

Also, i had two friends who were accepted and are currently attending the UCSF PhD program in Epidemiology & Translational Science in Fall 2015 and they are loving it. Really exciting new program that is quickly launching and will no doubt produce some great work and doctorates. 

Edited by etherealhav0c

5 hours ago, EpiGirl2016 said:

Thanks a lot! I visited UNC before and loved the area and the program. Fingers crossed that the funding comes through. Congrats on your Harvard interview! Good luck with your application season!

Hi EpiGirl2016, can you please let me know - when did you interview with them? I haven't heard anything from this program yet! I didnt know they already accepted people :(

31 minutes ago, PsychChick said:

Hi EpiGirl2016, can you please let me know - when did you interview with them? I haven't heard anything from this program yet! I didnt know they already accepted people :(

I didn't interview with them. The epidemiology department doesn't conduct interviews. I submitted my application pretty early (mid November) so that might have something to do with why I heard back so early. I didn't hear anything from them between when I applied when when they accepted me.

15 minutes ago, EpiGirl2016 said:

I didn't interview with them. The epidemiology department doesn't conduct interviews. I submitted my application pretty early (mid November) so that might have something to do with why I heard back so early. I didn't hear anything from them between when I applied when when they accepted me.

Okay, that helps. Thank you :)

4 hours ago, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

Good luck to all of you! I hope to hear your results!

@calilife - What program at OSU did you apply to? I was THIS CLOSE to applying, but the awesome professor (Joseph Catania) and his wife (Peggy Dolcini) are doing more of their research in translation science, which is fascinating, but not quite the direction I'd like to take my studies! Have you visited? What do you think?

My application is in the arms of Indiana University. From what I can gather on history, it looks like they announce sometime in Feb (late Feb I think) and announce funding in March. 

I applied to health promotion and health behavior.  I have not visited but I plan to if accepted. Should find out admission decision in late January-mid February. 

Hi all

I just had an interview with University of Washington recently and I'll be going to the University of Michigan Doctoral Day next week. My interviewer at Washington didn't match well with my interests so I'm not sure why we were paired for the interview. I haven't heard anything about next steps yet but I guess i can hope.

Applied: Hopkins Epi PhD, Hopkins IH GDEC PhD, Harvard Pop. Health Science PhD (Epi), Yale Microbial Epidemiology PhD, U of Michigan Epi PhD, U of Washington Global Health Metrics PhD

Congratulations on the interviews and acceptances people!

I have applied to PhD programs in Environmental Health Sciences departments (toxicology) at:

1) NYU

2) Boston University

3) Emory: invited to interview

4) U of Washington: Invited to interview

5) UC Berkeley

6) UCLA

7) Harvard (Biological Sciences in Public health)

I am waiting to hear back from most. Admission coordinators at UC Berkeley and BU said interviews are not a necessary part of the process and they will release decisions by feb - mid march. I have lost hope for Harvard, I think most interview invitations have been sent out (based on history)- oh well, it was a long shot.

Edited by v_kalia

Someone put up they had got an invite for an interview at NYU for their public health PhD. That makes me nervous. I applied there too for a PhD. I wonder what department they selected. 

This is so nerve wrecking. 

12 minutes ago, TonyaB said:

Someone put up they had got an invite for an interview at NYU for their public health PhD. That makes me nervous. I applied there too for a PhD. I wonder what department they selected. 

I haven't updated my status yet, but I received a rejection email yesterday in the evening :( I guess if you were rejected, they would have sent an email to you too! But they have not - So don't lose hopes yet. Good luck!

Edited by PsychChick
Pasted something by mistake

On 1/22/2016 at 12:54 PM, v_kalia said:

Congratulations on the interviews and acceptances people!

I have applied to PhD programs in Environmental Health Sciences departments (toxicology) at:

1) NYU

2) Boston University

3) Emory: invited to interview

4) U of Washington: Invited to interview

5) UC Berkeley

6) UCLA

7) Harvard (Biological Sciences in Public health)

I am waiting to hear back from most. Admission coordinators at UC Berkeley and BU said interviews are not a necessary part of the process and they will release decisions by feb - mid march. I have lost hope for Harvard, I think most interview invitations have been sent out (based on history)- oh well, it was a long shot.

Hi v_kalia, could you please tell me which program you applied to in University of Washington? I applied for Global health - implementation and haven't heard back anything yet!

Hey! I applied to the Environmental and Occupational Health Department, PhD in toxicology specifically. They sent me an email last evening about the interview. I guess the Global health department might still be deliberating. 

1 hour ago, TonyaB said:

Hey TonyaB,

I know, its quite stressful. I emailed NYU about the interview being a requirement and GES said they didn't know. I applied to the Environmental Health Department which is in their School of Medicine, so the process might be different from the Public Health school.

20 hours ago, etherealhav0c said:

I had assumed that the FAQ was worded that way to be more applicable towards their masters students. I'm not sure, but I spoke with my friend who applied for the Fall 2015 cycle and was accepted into Harvard's SD in Epidemiology and he said that he got an interview. I honestly have no idea though, it could be candidate specific.  

No, the FAQ was specifically about the PhD program - so no interview

19 minutes ago, v_kalia said:

Hey! I applied to the Environmental and Occupational Health Department, PhD in toxicology specifically. They sent me an email last evening about the interview. I guess the Global health department might still be deliberating. 

Okay, thanks for letting me know! Good luck to you!

On 1/22/2016 at 10:21 AM, storm_jonas said:

Hi all

I just had an interview with University of Washington recently and I'll be going to the University of Michigan Doctoral Day next week. My interviewer at Washington didn't match well with my interests so I'm not sure why we were paired for the interview. I haven't heard anything about next steps yet but I guess i can hope.

Applied: Hopkins Epi PhD, Hopkins IH GDEC PhD, Harvard Pop. Health Science PhD (Epi), Yale Microbial Epidemiology PhD, U of Michigan Epi PhD, U of Washington Global Health Metrics PhD

Hi @storm_jonas, do you mind to share what kinds of questions you were asked during the interview with UW? I'm also interviewing with them next week and it'll be super helpful to learn some experience! Thanks and hope your visiting to UM goes well! 

Hi, I was the one who posted about the NYU interview. I applied to the College of Global Public Health. 

FYI interviews for the PhD in Public Health across different tracks at Yale have gone out as well.

17 hours ago, jingxiaomiao said:

Hi @storm_jonas, do you mind to share what kinds of questions you were asked during the interview with UW? I'm also interviewing with them next week and it'll be super helpful to learn some experience! Thanks and hope your visiting to UM goes well! 

Hi jingxiaomiao - the focus on the interview was my research fit at UW. The conversation exclusively focused on what projects at IHME might be a good match for me.

On 1/24/2016 at 7:22 PM, chef-web said:

Hi, I was the one who posted about the NYU interview. I applied to the College of Global Public Health. 

FYI interviews for the PhD in Public Health across different tracks at Yale have gone out as well.

Thanks for letting us know! Good luck on your interviews!!

I selected the Socio-behavioral Track. So I'm wondering if there are differences in the tracks.

On 1/22/2016 at 5:53 PM, Familiar Heron said:

Thanks! Quite frankly, I was surprised I was invited for an interview. The person I spoke with said that they received nearly a hundred applications this year and only offered interviews to 12 people.

The PhD programs in Biostats, Epi, and Health Behavior at USC (Southern California) just concluded their first day of interviewing applicants. Second day will be February 9. I believe each program invited 2-5 candidates out for each day.