PhD Applicants: Fall 2016

It may be early for most, but I'm a newbie to the PhD world and am hoping to get. I feel like my chances are slim, but I remain hopeful! I have enjoyed following other's journey on MPH threads and hope to meet others in the same boat.

Undergrad School: CSU, Sacramento
Undergrad GPA: 3.12
Major/Minor: Family and Consumer Sciences
GradGPA 
(if applicable): 3.9
Grad Studies (if applicable): MPH @ SJSU
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 157 V/151 Q/ unsure about written
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 10 years Health teacher, 2 years Community College instructor

Applied: Will be applying to Oregon State, Univ. of Iowa, Indiana Univ., and Univ. of Nevada, Reno
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

ndergrad School: Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.75/4.0 SOPHAS GPA: 3.8
Major/Minor: Public Health
GradGPA: n/a
Grad Studies: No MPH but took 10/13 classes required for an MPH at my school as an undergrad
GRE: 161V/158Q/5W.
Experience/Research:

• 6months Health Services Research on medication adherence
  • 1 year Alcohol and Addiction Studies on teen drinking
  • 1 year CBPR on childhood obesity
  • 2+ years cancer epidemiology research, will lead to honors thesis
  • 4 1st author poster presentations at national undergraduate/graduate student conferences, 2 award winning
  • 1 co-authored peer-reviewed paper 
  • National fellowship + AACR award winner
  • Misc. - Public Health Club VP, & Coordinator for Women in Science and Engineering
  • LOR- 3 full professors in epidemiology, All of whom I have taken at least 2 classes with, 2 of whom were/are research advisors. Should be very strong.

Really interested in cancer epidemiology and racial health disparities in cancer outcomes for breast and gynecologic cancers, so that's what I've been working on most recents. I bounced around a lot to figure out what I really liked and also to gain skills I think are relevant to all of public health. The end goal is a PhD program, however my mentor (smartly) advised me to apply to Master's and PhD programs so I leave my options open.

Interested in: UT-Houston Epi PhD, Yale Chronic Disease Epi PhD, Harvard Population Health Sciences-Cancer Epi PhD, UNC MSPH-Phd Epi
Applied: UT-Houston Epi PhD (Applied 10/18, Verified 11/2), 
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

22 hours ago, arspring99 said:

The good news: GRE scores officially in - received a 5.5 Analytical Writing (Yesssss!) 

The bad news: Getting a clearer picture of how a LACK of research will hurt me.

Chances are slim but still very hopeful!

IMHO?  I think you'll be fine without the research component.  OSU (Oregon, not Ohio :) ) was one of the PH programs I was looking at but had to pass up because my in-laws live within driving distance of the school.  Your life experience, teaching, current MPH all factor in strongly to your application.  

Undergrad School: Public State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.7/4.0 
Major/Minor: Nursing
GradGPA: n/a
Grad Studies: None
GRE: 162V/156Q/4.5W.
Experience/Research:

• 6 months Cancer diagnostic tool development (biochemistry).
  • 6 months Patient-centered hand hygiene intervention
  • 2 years Fire Safety and Burn Prevention (community engagement and the development of a geographic risk model)
  • 2+ years Drug development (bio-engineering laboratory)
  • 5 poster presentations ( 4 local and 2 national conferences)
  • 1 oral presentation (national conference)
  • 1 co-authored peer-reviewed manuscript (awarding winning: best paper by a non-physician).
  • 1 semester teaching assistant (engineering graphics).
  • Licenses and Certifications: RN (expected January 2016), BLS, HIPPA
  • Member of the Research and Evidence Based Practice Committee
  • LOR- 3 full professors in nursing (1- Dean of Research and member of a EBP committee), 2- in class professor (A's in both classes and worked on Hand hygiene research), 3- Co-author on peer-reviewed paper). All expected to be strong.

Interested in translating research into practice and working with organizations to produce quality research that is applicable to their everyday operations. I enjoy working with different fields to synthesize perspectives and solve problems. I have a lot of different experience in many field related to health (nursing, bio-engineering, geo-science, epidemiology, and bio-chemistry).

I think my biggest weaknesses are my GRE score and my lack of "real-world" experience. I am an undergrad but have been heavily involved in research since my freshman year. I know producing original research is what I want to do.

Interested in: Emory- Epidemiology, Harvard- Health Policy conc. Decision Science, Univ of Louisville- Nursing, Ohio State-Epidemiology
Applied: 
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys I am a question: I recently got a fee waiver without requesting it to UChicago IME program. I guess they noticed activity on my profile and sent me a waiver and strongly encouraged me to apply to their program. Is this fairly common to happen? Also how good is their molecular engineering program if anyone knows?

Thanks!

Hi, I am very new to applying to PhD programs and to GradCafe. I will post my stats below. I know there is nothing much I can do about it now (since all the deadlines are passed), but I am extremely concerned about the small number of programs (6) that I applied to. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

Undergrad School: Ivy
Undergrad Overall/Major GPA: 3.2/3.4
Major: Neuroscience

Grad School: Ivy (different from undergrad)
Grad GPA: 3.8
Major: Epidemiology (MPH)
GRE: 155V/160Q/4.0W

Research/Publications/LOR:

• Clinical research at a cancer center (1 year so far; current position)

• Epidemiology research (1 year during MPH)

• Cellular neuroscience research (3 years during undergrad)

• 5 poster presentations (International level conferences)

• 3 co-authored peer-reviewed manuscript (SCI level journals; Impact factors of 12, 6, 9)

• Teaching assistantship (1 year during MPH)

• Letters of Recommendations (1 from graduate thesis advisor/professor; 1 from current PI, 1 from another research clinician in my lab) – expect be strong (hopefully)

Applied:  (Not in any particular order)

·         Harvard (Population Health Science)

·         Brown (Epidemiology)

·         Yale (Public Health/EMD)

·         Emory (Epidemiology)

·         Johns Hopkins (Epidemiology)

·         UCSF (Epidemiology and Translational Science)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I'm interested in Epi PhDs for infectious disease work and applied Public Health. Have an application update so I thought I'd make a post if it helps anyone out.

I applied to:

UW,

UCSF,

UCLA,

UCBerkeley,

UMichigan

UNC Chapel Hill

Just got invited via email to UofM's doctoral day at the end of January (not admitted to school, just the doctoral day). Will update if I hear anything about the other schools. Good luck!!

Nice update @2016Epi

I am turning in my applications next week. I'm chasing a health systems policy doctoral degree, preferably global health. I am applying to Tulane, Tufts, Texas-CS, UMinnesota, Ohio State, UIC, PennState, UCLA, Boston.

So this should be fun!

Good luck everyone.

On 1/7/2016 at 5:44 PM, 2016Epi said:

Hey everyone!

I'm interested in Epi PhDs for infectious disease work and applied Public Health. Have an application update so I thought I'd make a post if it helps anyone out.

I applied to:

UW,

UCSF,

UCLA,

UCBerkeley,

UMichigan

UNC Chapel Hill

Just got invited via email to UofM's doctoral day at the end of January (not admitted to school, just the doctoral day). Will update if I hear anything about the other schools. Good luck!!

Congratulation on your invite!

I see that you also applied to UCSF. Hopefully we can both make it to their interview stage

Best of luck 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else applied to U. Minnesota's Health Services Research, Policy, & Administration PhD program? I was admitted about 2 weeks ago, and the program coordinator just emailed information on their admitted students visitation day. I would love to talk to any other prospective students. 

Also, any word on Harvard's Population Health Sciences PhD program? I've seen nothing that is specific to PHS on the results page, although a number of applicants to different HSPH PhD programs reported invitations to interviews. I'm afraid that this indicates a rejection on my end...

4 hours ago, Familiar Heron said:

Has anyone else applied to U. Minnesota's Health Services Research, Policy, & Administration PhD program? I was admitted about 2 weeks ago, and the program coordinator just emailed information on their admitted students visitation day. I would love to talk to any other prospective students. 

Also, any word on Harvard's Population Health Sciences PhD program? I've seen nothing that is specific to PHS on the results page, although a number of applicants to different HSPH PhD programs reported invitations to interviews. I'm afraid that this indicates a rejection on my end...

I don't think not hearing anything is anything to worry about at this point for Harvard. The PhD program in Population Health Sciences is the consolidation of the previous ScD programs, a few of which I know historically always released decisions in mid to late February. I would expect the timeline to be roughly similar, if anything later rather than earlier. I personally am not worrying until the end of February.

3 minutes ago, EpiGirl2016 said:

I don't think not hearing anything is anything to worry about at this point for Harvard. The PhD program in Population Health Sciences is the consolidation of the previous ScD programs, a few of which I know historically always released decisions in mid to late February. I would expect the timeline to be roughly similar, if anything later rather than earlier. I personally am not worrying until the end of February.

Thanks for the insight! 

I guess I'm a little late to this party!

I applied to:
UCSF (Epi Translational Science)
Berkeley (Epi)
Yale (Chronic Disease Epi)
Hopkins (Population, Family and Reproductive Health)
Harvard (Population Health Sciences)

I had my first interview with UCSF earlier this week, and I have one with Hopkins at the end of the month.

Best of luck, everyone!

18 hours ago, EpiGirl2016 said:

I applied to the PhD program in Population Health Sciences along the environmental health track and had an interview last week. From my understanding (and I'm uncertain how this may differ by department within the Population Health Sciences category so others may still be interviewing) interviews have been done/extended and faculty recommendations have been submitted to the chairs/deans for final applicant evaluation and selection based on fit, funding, availability of spots. That process of selection takes several weeks so decisions will probably come out later February. I hope that helps... I've realized that a lot of this process has really come down to strong fit with the department and faculty members who have funding as well as some luck. 

Edited by etherealhav0c

23 minutes ago, etherealhav0c said:

I applied to the PhD program in Population Health Sciences along the environmental health track and had an interview last week. From my understanding (and I'm uncertain how this may differ by department within the Population Health Sciences category so others may still be interviewing) interviews have been done/extended and faculty recommendations have been submitted to the chairs/deans for final applicant evaluation and selection based on fit, funding, availability of spots. That process of selection takes several weeks so decisions will probably come out later February. I hope that helps... I've realized that a lot of this process has really come down to strong fit with the department and faculty members who have funding as well as some luck. 

That's interesting, I applied Epi and was under the impression that they weren't conducting interviews (for that track at least). If they are interviewing and I just didn't get one, oh well UNC for me it is then!!! It's weird to me that they would interview for some tracks but not others. I wish things were a little more transparent.

4 minutes ago, EpiGirl2016 said:

That's interesting, I applied Epi and was under the impression that they weren't conducting interviews (for that track at least). If they are interviewing and I just didn't get one, oh well UNC for me it is then!!! It's weird to me that they would interview for some tracks but not others. I wish things were a little more transparent.

Yeah looking at previous years results and posts I wasn't sure if Harvard even conducted interviews, but I shockingly got an email about interviewing and was proven wrong. It's entirely possible that different departments operate differently though! The whole process is just awful and a crapshoot once you get some core things in place in your application profile. 

Congratulations on UNC. :) What a great program! I've heard from my friends who were accepted for Fall 2015 matriculation that UNC offers fairly generous funding too. And Chapel Hill is such a good place to be.  

11 minutes ago, etherealhav0c said:

Yeah looking at previous years results and posts I wasn't sure if Harvard even conducted interviews, but I shockingly got an email about interviewing and was proven wrong. It's entirely possible that different departments operate differently though! The whole process is just awful and a crapshoot once you get some core things in place in your application profile. 

Congratulations on UNC. :) What a great program! I've heard from my friends who were accepted for Fall 2015 matriculation that UNC offers fairly generous funding too. And Chapel Hill is such a good place to be.  

Thanks a lot! I visited UNC before and loved the area and the program. Fingers crossed that the funding comes through. Congrats on your Harvard interview! Good luck with your application season!

1 hour ago, etherealhav0c said:

I had a panic attack reading this comment. haha

I just checked the Population Health Sciences FAQ page (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/phdphs/admissions-faq/) and found this:

Is the admission based on some entry test and/or interview or is done on the basis of the academic history?

Applications are reviewed on the basis of academic credentials, GPA, GRE, TOEFL, prior research and work experience, statement of purpose, recommendations and a writing sample. No other entry test or interview is required.

I spoke with a rep from this department in October, and she said that the department doesn't plan on interviewing candidates. Maybe it's case specific?

Edited by HJin

Good luck to all of you! I hope to hear your results!

@calilife - What program at OSU did you apply to? I was THIS CLOSE to applying, but the awesome professor (Joseph Catania) and his wife (Peggy Dolcini) are doing more of their research in translation science, which is fascinating, but not quite the direction I'd like to take my studies! Have you visited? What do you think?

My application is in the arms of Indiana University. From what I can gather on history, it looks like they announce sometime in Feb (late Feb I think) and announce funding in March. 

2 hours ago, HJin said:

I had a panic attack reading this comment. haha

I just checked the Population Health Sciences FAQ page (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/phdphs/admissions-faq/) and found this:

Is the admission based on some entry test and/or interview or is done on the basis of the academic history?

Applications are reviewed on the basis of academic credentials, GPA, GRE, TOEFL, prior research and work experience, statement of purpose, recommendations and a writing sample. No other entry test or interview is required.

I spoke with a rep from this department in October, and she said that the department doesn't plan on interviewing candidates. Maybe it's case specific?

I had assumed that the FAQ was worded that way to be more applicable towards their masters students. I'm not sure, but I spoke with my friend who applied for the Fall 2015 cycle and was accepted into Harvard's SD in Epidemiology and he said that he got an interview. I honestly have no idea though, it could be candidate specific.  

39 minutes ago, etherealhav0c said:

I had assumed that the FAQ was worded that way to be more applicable towards their masters students. I'm not sure, but I spoke with my friend who applied for the Fall 2015 cycle and was accepted into Harvard's SD in Epidemiology and he said that he got an interview. I honestly have no idea though, it could be candidate specific.  

This FAQ page is specifically written for the Population Health Sciences PhD program. Hm...