MA History Distance Program?

toby42

I'm sort of reposting this from an earlier thread, because I made the title and content more specific than I intended it. So I'm giving it a second shot, but amended. :)

Does anyone know of a school that has a distance learning program in ancient history (preferably with ANE courses)? I'm finishing up my MA at ND right now and was planning on going on to PhD studies... but I thought about adding to my repertoire by adding a History MA degree in a related field to help my chances for getting into a decent PhD program. I was hoping to possibly not relocate (for PhD) for another two years or so and thought I might do this in the meantime.

Thanks!

Edited by toby42

I highly doubt a distance learning MA will help your application. Why do you think you need a 2nd MA to be competitive? If your current MA is in a sister discipline to history, I'd worry more about getting a historical, primary source-based writing sample ready and finding 3 solid rec writers. Even if it's not related, plenty of people get in with just a BA. Unless your grades are poor, I don't think another MA is necessary, especially not a distance learning one that'll count for next to nothing to most admissions committees. For some fields, an online-platform degree is fine...history isn't one of them, particularly at the grad level when so much emphasis is placed on in-class discussion. I never took a single course in my MA where discussion was weighted less than 30% of my grade.

I second what ashiepoo72 said. Most likely, you will just waste your time and money for no significant difference. Instead, consider taking year off and work on your writing sample. It is not uncommon for people to get into History programs without a major or MA in history. I know folks who did just that with a strong writing sample and solid project. Furthermore, the fact that you are not willing to move for your academic career may be a red flag for some because that's what an academic career typically requires.

Thank you both for the input. Good stuff, all of it. To answer, and clarify -

14 hours ago, ashiepoo72 said:

I highly doubt a distance learning MA will help your application. Why do you think you need a 2nd MA to be competitive?

First, another member said, "ANE is a notoriously difficult field to break into, especially if you don't have a certain academic pedigree. Many of my friends at "top" schools (Harvard, JHU, Yale, and UChicago) have completed 2 masters degrees before their PhD applications." But that aside, my primary goal in looking for this is not to be competitive (though I may have made it seem that way; my mistake). First, and primarily, if nothing pans out with PhD programs, I thought this would qualify and equip me to teach at the community/jr. college level as my degrees are thus far liberal arts degrees in Biblical studies and Theology and there's not a lot of demand for Bible/Theology courses at that level. Secondly, I thought about adding a History MA degree as I have the time to do something on the side since I may have to wait a bit before going on to my PhD after I'm done. And then, from that, I figured it would also bolster my PhD app. Which leads to:

14 hours ago, random_grad said:

Furthermore, the fact that you are not willing to move for your academic career may be a red flag for some because that's what an academic career typically requires.

It's not that I'm not willing to move, but that I'm unable to right now and will probably be unable to do so until summer '17. At that point, it's another story. But also, though, I don't want to move just for a second MA in History when one of the places I'm hoping to get my PhD is right here where I am.

Thank you both for the tips and advice... I appreciate it.  I'll take it all into account.

Edited by toby42

Why not look at local universities and do an MA at one of those instead? That's what I did...went to an MA not known for placing people in PhDs because it was close to home and cheaper. Many of these "unknown" terminal MA programs at local colleges are hidden gems--mine was for sure. Community college jobs are competitive too. Granted, not as bad as university jobs, but a distance MA may still prevent you from getting a CC job when you're up against applicants who got a brick-and-mortar MA.