Would there be any chance with my gre score?

If it makes you feel any better, my quantitative score was pretty low too.  I'm banking on my high verbal and writing to do the trick.  

However, I'm only applying to one top 10 school, the other schools I'm applying to are highly ranked but not top 10.  I think you'd have better luck with those 

(and you won't have to die in debt.)

8 hours ago, cooperstreet said:

All other things equal, the marginal effect of a 151 verbal GRE score will make the chances of acceptance to a top 10 program very very low.

What would you say is a GRE score that makes you competitive for top programs? Or middling programs?

On 11/21/2015, 11:32:05, GradSchoolTruther said:

For top programs, I'm seeing median verbal scores at 165 and higher, while quantitative reasoning scores are generally 162 and higher.

Out of curiosity:  I managed to score a 165 on the verbal and a 5 on the essay.  My quant score was pretty low though (153), and I'm unsure if I'll have time to retake.  Applying to international affairs programs, which do involve statistics, is there any way for me to make up for a low quant score?  (Ie, if the rest of my application is really strong, will I still have the possibility of getting into a top school?)

47 minutes ago, Mrs A.K. said:

Out of curiosity:  I managed to score a 165 on the verbal and a 5 on the essay.  My quant score was pretty low though (153), and I'm unsure if I'll have time to retake.  Applying to international affairs programs, which do involve statistics, is there any way for me to make up for a low quant score?  (Ie, if the rest of my application is really strong, will I still have the possibility of getting into a top school?)

Its simply very unlikely that anyone with a 153 on the math portion of the GRE will get into a top (read: top 10 program). Its not really about 'making up in other areas', its that the adcom is operating under incomplete information and has a lot of candidates to pick from.

7 hours ago, Mrs A.K. said:

For MIA programs, you should definitely apply.  I had a Quant score of 147 and was offered admission to George Washington, American, and UC-San Diego.  I didn't apply to Georgetown or Johns Hopkins, so I'm unsure if that would have bounced me, but you can still get into some quality programs if the rest of your application is solid.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I retook the GRE, and while I brought up my quant score to 160, my qual went down to 161.  (I'm still not sure how I did on the writing.)  Should I send both sets of scores, so they take the best of each?  Or stick with one or the other?

Also, thank you for letting me know that some of the top programs took you with your quant score.  I'm not looking at those same programs (though I am looking at Johns Hopkins.)  I had a good GPA, Americorps experience, and lots of international travel experience.  I'm working on my own independent research at the moment, so while I haven't published anything, I feel like the rest of my application is pretty solid.