Critical Language Scholarship 2016

zephyri

So excited for everyone who got through! Congratulations, all the stressing has paid off! I'm an alternate for Hindi and seriously hoping I get to go, but applying to other things for now . Will definitely be reapplying to CLS in the future :) 

5 hours ago, yayj said:

Chinese finalist too!!!! I noticed this year they have a site in Taiwan! Anyone know when we find out which site we're placed in?

I emailed Stephanie to find out. I need to know in order to schedule/push-back my LSAT test date! 

Would ideally want Changchun or Suzhou...I wonder how the placement process works

Do you think there is a chance that alternates might be notified before March 21st ? (For example, if people decline early).

Also, what is the final deadline to tell us that there are no more places open?

Sorry to ask this, it's just that this uncertainty is quite stressful.

46 minutes ago, snp said:

Do you think there is a chance that alternates might be notified before March 21st ? (For example, if people decline early).

Also, what is the final deadline to tell us that there are no more places open?

Sorry to ask this, it's just that this uncertainty is quite stressful.

I don't know much about the process for alternate applicants, but I know for sure that notifications can run to as late as a few weeks before a program. I've read about a few cases when finalist had to decline last minute due to whatever situation and alternates were moved up with only a week or so to prepare for departure. But I think typically Alternates know by the end of April??

I would assume alternates could start receiving updates if they moved up as soon as people decline + and CLS refiles and what not. I don't think they send out notification in waves either, but rather individually as soon as a status changes.

16 hours ago, yayj said:

Okay! I was thinking about emailing her too, but I figured she would be flooded with emails now. I feel like I may have another questions to ask in the next few days so I was gonna wait to put it all in one email. But please post on here and let us know what she says once you hear back :)

Ideally I'm looking to go to Tainan (I've been to China and would love to experience Taiwan) or Suzhou (I would be able to go to Shanghai easily so I could experience 2 cities I've heard so much about). I also have a friend in Taiwan through July and a friend who will be visiting family in Shanghai in June, so I would get to meet up with friends from home while abroad too. 

But I'm trying not to lean too much towards these cities, so I won't be disappointed if I don't get my top choices. I just hope we get to find out where we've been placed soon!

@JTWU out of curiosity what draws you towards Changchun? I've heard a lot about Suzhou but never heard of Changchun (or Dalian) until I saw the 2016 sites. 

I've been to Xi'an multiple times and my parents are from Taiwan. Top choices would be Dalian, Changchun, and Suzhou

Received email from Stephanie today saying that I'd be going to Dalian University of Technology! Let me know where you end up going @yayj

Hello, everyone!

I've been lurking this forum since the beginning, but I decided to make an account after receiving the scholarship for China. I'll be going to Dalian as well @JTWU! If anybody else is going to Dalian and wants to get to know each other that'd be cool.

Congratulations to everyone that was accepted as a finalist and good luck to the alternates!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for all the virtual morale-boosting...it was really helpful!   I'm SO GRATEFUL to the opportunity we have on our hands! And @Mabelkitty2012 , keep up the hope! I think this is still really early to hear back, and it's probably because there were other India-specific scholarships that've been awarded recently, so India Finalists were able to rescind their offers earlier than others. Good luck!!!

I think we are. I think we all go to the same orientation... Or at least that's what I heard, even though some programs start earlier/later than others.

When does your site program start?

June 7th...hm, that's curious about orientation scheduling...I'm sure it was already discussed, but do we go directly from orientation to our study site?

Actually, you know, I'm not sure...

I thought we had group orientations, but I do think we go from orientation together as a language group to the site... So that doesn't really make much sense.

Hi all,

Hopefully I can clear some things up about orientation. You will be doing all orientation activities with members of your program site. Other program sites that share the language that you are studying will not necessarily have the same orientation dates (and frequently do not meet), and you will probably share some of the bigger orientation events with members of other program sites/languages. For example, last year, there were three languages doing orientation in DC at the same time as me (I did Turkish, and there were Russian and Indonesian groups doing orientation at the same time as me).

When orientation is over, you go to the airport (and your final destination city) with students who share your program site.

Is anyone else having trouble getting all of this medical paperwork done on time? It's a real hassle. I understand why it's such short notice, but it's hard to get to doctors when you're away at school...

Oh well, I think I figured out most of it today so I should be on time!

Ok, as to the doctor thing: Don't worry about it. You basically need a physical. Go to the health center on your campus, or it's a lot faster to get in at a doctor's office if you ask to see a nurse practitioner (they can also fill out the form). 
As I was abroad last year, I had the last doctor who gave me a physical attest on my form because I had been to see her within a year. 
Hope this helps.  

@emb It says on the form that "the completed Physicians statement MUST be signed by a licensed M.D. or DO. The Critical Language Scholarship Program cannot accept signatures from an NP or PA."

Went in to my clinic specifically asking for a doctor to fill out the form and when I got home and looked at my visit summary it was with a PA...so I have to go back :(

Edited by rewong

@rewong , yes, better safe than sorry! Get it signed by one of the two---maybe the requirements have changed since last year.  How's everyone doing with the Visa process? 

Oh! And is anyone else's "1st day" (orientation?) on June 7th?