Critical Language Scholarship 2016

zephyri

@pdh12 we haven't started the visa process yet (for China), but my first day is on the 16th. If you go on the CLS website, they have listings for all the program sites and their start dates. Bangla, Hindi, Punjabi, and Urdu are also on the 7th, which makes sense to have all the India ones on the same date.  The Tainan, Taiwan program is also on the 7th.

I'm so frustrated and worried. Today everything is due but I'm still waiting to get my medical form from my doctor. They mailed it so it should be here today but the tension is mounting... T.T

Everything I've read says that all costs are covered, but I am wondering what people who have received the CLS scholarship know about the stipend amount. Anyone know, or have ballpark figures?

Hey guys, just to try and shed a little light on the stipends: 

Your stipend will cover more than what it's intended for (lunches, toiletries, etc), but won't get you far if you want to travel. Honestly, amount received varies from country to country but you will have a better time if you can go with a few hundred dollars for travel. The CLS is a really intense program and you will need some money to get away and to get some space on the weekends. For Turkey, I believe I received about $500... but I don't quite remember. 

Also, lots of things in DC will be financially covered during orientation but not everything. A couple meals are on your own and it's also fun to grab a beer with the people who will be in your cohort one night. 

Remember: you won't know what cool things are possible until you're in country. What I can recommend is that you all look at where you think you'd like to travel and budget accordingly. I recommend Rome2Rio to estimate in country trip prices (there is also an app, which is cool) and remember that in a lot of places budget airlines exist and might be cheaper (not to mention faster) than busses or trains if you book in advance. Also, if you're going to a Muslim area you will be there during Eid and have a long weekend where you will want to travel. 

A bit of extra cash never hurt. Bring some and be a little happier. 

Let me know if you have anymore questions. 

If I can't cover part of my bills with the CLS stipend amount, I may decide to do to the program I 

did last year again, since I was able to get by financially.

Edited by Haunted

It's your prerogative. Just bear in mind that the CLS offers some really cool opportunities. We attended at 4th of July party at the US Ambassador's house, had a generally good time, and all massively improved linguistically. There were also 2 overnight trips and a few day trips as well as some fun cultural activities.

The stipend WILL cover all costs within the program (and then some) but if you're referring to bills in the US, then that seems a little unreasonable to expect a stipend for living in the developing world to cover that. 

Sorry if I sounded judgmental. I re-read my post and I don't know if I "typed the right tone". Basically, if there is a way for you to summer sublet, I would do it because the CLS is an awesome experience.

Were you upgraded from an alternate to a finalist? I looked to try and find your previous posts and it looks like you're going to India too. I've heard from past participants that the stipend is about $500 for India (I think) if that helps you budget/make a decision. 

Edited by emb

Yep, Ankara! It was a good time. But I heard that the Lucknow students also get invited and often go to Delhi for the same thing. 

This convo is so helpful!  As an independent student (without funding from family), I took out a student loan just to be sure that I wouldn't have to worry while in India---maybe that's something for you to consider @Haunted 

So, for example, I know that I want to stay in India post program. I hope that I can change my ticket, but I'm not counting on it. 

A question everyone can help me with: I want to go to Nepal and Myanmar once the program is over. Both of them have tourist visas that are easy to attain but I only had two pages left in my passport when I sent it to get my India visa.... If I order another passport, does it negate my first one? If so, is there a way I can get a new one in India? 

@yayj, I know that CLS states that it's not possible, but I imagine that someone must have tried in the past. What sort of course is it? Some online courses are easier than others or less time consuming.

@emb So I'm not certain, but I THINK you can apply for extra pages for a passport that hasn't expired yet. And I think anyone is eligible to do so, versus applying for a second passport which has more restrictions. 

Ok, I called this morning. I guess, I'll have to apply for a new one but I can use both. Extra pages stopped being issued in January. I just need to upgrade to the big passport this time... If I don't expedite, it says it will take 6 weeks but I don't believe them. It's always taken less time even without expediting it and if I gets here after I leave, I will have it shipped to the school or to someplace where I can pick it up. 

As to the extra class: Your level will determine how much homework you have and how much time you have to spend on it right away. Don't worry too much about the first few weeks. Do it. CLS is intense, but if I had NEEDED to do an extra class online, I think I could have. 

Edited by emb

@emb I have a question about the whole level thing. I have an ambitious goal for where I need to be post-program, but I'm worried because of my speaking level I'll be put in a lower level class. (Which I know would be good for me if that's what I test at, but it's still a worry.) Did student's skills range a lot in each level? And do you think there would be a chance to go beyond the course material if, say, I did get put at a level where I already know all the grammar?