Fellowships for post-undergraduates (Bachelor's)

wildchartermage

Any fellowships similar to Fulbright (already applied to Italy academic grant) that post-undergraduates can apply for next year? I would like to spend a year or so abroad because I don't feel ready for graduate school yet, especially I haven't decided which programs I want to apply to. Ideally, the grant would allow you to develop your own independent project, especially if it is related to the humanities or social science. 

Of course, googling brings up some results, but thought I would ask you guys here in case I may have overlooked fellowship opportunities. 

1 hour ago, gatorgrad316 said:

you should check out the Princeton in Africa/Princeton in Asia/Princeton in Latin America programs. I'm not sure if the dates for those already passed, however. Good luck! 

Actually, I am more focused on Europe, in particular Western Europe. So I was asking about a fellowship that allows me to propose a project that pertains to Europe or create on my own project like Fulbright. :)

8 hours ago, wildchartermage said:

Actually, I am more focused on Europe, in particular Western Europe. So I was asking about a fellowship that allows me to propose a project that pertains to Europe or create on my own project like Fulbright. :)

If you'd specified that originally, then you likely would've gotten a different response from gatorgrad316. That said, I'd recommend using the Cornell Fellowships database and similar resources to search for programs that meet your interests. Just saying you want to go to Western Europe isn't all that helpful.

The only grants I know of for Western Europe are the DAAD (Germany), the Gates-Cambridge, the Marshall, the Rhodes, and the Churchhill. For the Marshall/Gates/Rhodes/Churchill, you could be doing a degree (M.Research or MPhil) that would allow you to design your own research project. However, most deadlines have passed (or are due in the next week or two) for year-long grants. I'd be surprised if you came across any well-known ones that haven't. 

21 minutes ago, Horb said:

The only grants I know of for Western Europe are the DAAD (Germany), the Gates-Cambridge, the Marshall, the Rhodes, and the Churchhill. For the Marshall/Gates/Rhodes/Churchill, you could be doing a degree (M.Research or MPhil) that would allow you to design your own research project. However, most deadlines have passed (or are due in the next week or two) for year-long grants. I'd be surprised if you came across any well-known ones that haven't. 

I know about all of them, but I am not yet ready for the commitment of a degree yet. More like...a gap year time to do my own research project, etc, until I apply for graduate school after that year. I have a disability and not all programs and schools provide equal access, so I have to take more time and effort on my part to research for the best graduate school program that meets my aspirations and goals. 

A MA in Research is literally you designing your own research project, you just get a degree at the end. There usually aren't required courses or anything like that. Just you doing researching. It is no different than patterning with an affiliate and doing research through them.