Insight into GRE Scores, please?

Jalapeno2257

Hi all --

First, I am applying to political science Ph.D programs across the U.S.  I am not here to ask if you think I will be admitted, as your answers to that question are unlikely to change my decision to apply in the first place.  However, I would appreciate some insight into my GRE scores relative to other materials in my application package, especially from those of you with a similar experience to mine.

I've just received my GRE scores, and they are as follows: 153Q 163V 6AW, which are 52nd percentile, 92nd percentile, and 99th percentile, respectively.

I am wondering if retaking the GRE is advisable, in the hopes that I raise my quant score by a few points? 

There is other additional, relevant information: First, I am not trying to get into top schools.  I know I don't have any chance of getting in due to lack of research experience, and my UG GPA. Thus, I'm looking at mostly middle tier schools, with my first pick being Arizona State, with the lowest ranked schools being Iowa, Nebraska, and CU-Boulder.  Second, my undergrad GPA is a mere 3.36 from a state school.  Clearly, this is not an ideal GPA, but there is no use in crying over spilled milk.  Lastly, 153 is 5 points lower than the lowest score I got on any practice test.  I tend to get extreme performance/test anxiety, which I suspect curbed my ability in the quant portions.

Given my GPA, desire for mid-tier school, and current GRE scores, what are peoples' thoughts (especially those with a similar experience) on my retaking the GRE? I ask this because the time-frame in which to take it is undoubtedly slim, combined with other factors.  I have a recruitment event to go to, the holiday season is upon us, and I am nearly broke financially.  These, combined with the latest application deadlines being January 15th, make retaking it more onerous.

If you require additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I would say try to retake it if you can financially afford it. Given that you have done much better than 153 in your practice tests shows that you can improve your score.

OP- You should certainly retake if you can swing the money and your score is likely to improve. However, these scores will certainly not disqualify you from admission. In fact, Iowa explicitly says they look for 70% in both, or a much higher score in one to compensate for a lower in the other (i.e.- your scores).

For the programs you are applying to, these scores will not be the deciding factor. The rest of your application is more important.

Edited by c_j_l

(Assuming everything else is decent-outstanding) You can get into Iowa and Nebraska with those scores and GPA, probably CU Boulder too but I'm speaking from more direct knowledge in regards to the other two. 

People may disagree with me on this but I wouldn't suggest taking it again especially if you don't think you can afford it. I took it twice, the second time being rushed and last minute while panicked about my first scores, and although I raised my quant score a little, my other two scores dropped a little. In the end I just sent my first scores.

• 1 month later...

Long story short, I didn't realize people had responded to my post until today. I would like to say thanks to all of you who replied, and give a very brief update. 

I ended up not retaking the GRE. I have been accepted at ASU, UGA, and Mizzou, and rejected at Emory. I have several other institutions to hear back from, as well. Thanks again for your responses. 

14 minutes ago, Jalapeno2257 said:

Long story short, I didn't realize people had responded to my post until today. I would like to say thanks to all of you who replied, and give a very brief update. 

I ended up not retaking the GRE. I have been accepted at ASU, UGA, and Mizzou, and rejected at Emory. I have several other institutions to hear back from, as well. Thanks again for your responses. 

That is amazing, @Jalapeno2257! Congratulations. I would have advised you to retake the GRE if I saw this thread at the time. I am glad that it was not necessary.