Simple questions about referencing newspaper and diary

Van MtCristo

Hey guys, I've got 2 simple questions here regarding to how to reference newspaper and diary.

1, With a sentence retrieved from The Daily Colonist, July 14, 1908 (A Canadian newspaper), for example, do I need to specify the topic of the passage or page number ? Or can I simply stay with: The Daily Colonist, July 14, 1908.

2,  Another resource I'm using is the diary of Mackenzie King, a Canadian prime minister.The database is officially called: Diaries of Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King, MG26-J13.  It is posted on the internet, and gives the information of item number, as well as the date of his recording. When I reference it, is this the right format to use:  W.L.Mackenzie King, Diaries of Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King (Toronto: Rowsell & Hutchison, 1893), 50. Do I need to add the archive number or item number? 

Here's a link to look at his diary online.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/politics-government/prime-ministers/william-lyon-mackenzie-king/Pages/diaries-william-lyon-mackenzie-king.aspx

Thanks!

I mean, what style guide are you following? It looks to me from your example like Chicago; have you checked the online CMoS guide to see how to deal with these sources?

1 hour ago, Averroes MD said:

On that note, are the auto cite websites ok to use, like autobib, etc. ?

In general, no. They tend to get the little things wrong. Use the actual manual of style and more professional reference software like Zotero, EndNote, etc. Even those make errors though.