Stanford

SamStone

Hey all, 

Just wondering how everyone is doing during the final stretch before application deadlines begin arriving. 

Stanford's is, I think (?), the first deadline: Dec 8—a week away:o

Anyone else applying to Stanford? Is this process stressful enough??!

wtf why is their deadline so early lol. most other deadlines I've seen are early january.

anyways I'm super stressed. i'm taking the gre on the 7 but i got no time to study for it because i decided a week ago to write a completely new writing sample because i wasn't happy with my old one, but now im not gonna have time to get feedback on my writing sample. can only hope for the best i guess, can't wait until this is all over

Just hit "submit" on my Stanford application! The wait was stressing me out and I decided that nothing was going to change between now and Tuesday. Probably going to regret it in a moment :o

Next up for me: Princeton and Arizona on the 15th. 

42 minutes ago, jorou said:

Just hit "submit" on my Stanford application! The wait was stressing me out and I decided that nothing was going to change between now and Tuesday. Probably going to regret it in a moment :o

Next up for me: Princeton and Arizona on the 15th. 

Princeton isn't due on the 15th, is it? Or do they just start earlier than their deadline? I understand Arizona starts on the 15th.

EDIT: looks like I just got wrong information. It's due on the 15th! Looks like I'll have to send out letter requests for that today.

Edited by thatsjustsemantics

I am convinced they changed the info on their website - I also had it down as a different date, then decided to check, saw the 15th and freaked out. So I re-checked every deadline. A couple of others had changed too. 

17 minutes ago, jorou said:

I am convinced they changed the info on their website - I also had it down as a different date, then decided to check, saw the 15th and freaked out. So I re-checked every deadline. A couple of others had changed too. 

Here's my list, just in case anyone wants to cross-check deadlines (in brackets).

1. UNC, Chapel Hill (Dec 17)
2. Princeton (Dec 15)
3. U Mass Amherst (Jan 2)
4. MIT (Jan 2)
5. UM Ann Arbor (Jan 7)
6. Rutgers (January 11)
7. Cornell (Jan 15)
8. U Virginia (Jan 15)
9. Syracuse U. - dec 15
10. UC San Diego - Jan 4
11. U Madison Wisconsin -- Jan 2nd?
12. Uni. of Arizona - Dec 15
13. Columbia jan 15

On December 2, 2015 at 3:52:11 PM, brush said:

wtf why is their deadline so early lol.

ha, i don't know. Here is something I heard (though it may not be true): A friend who knows people at Stanford told me that the philosophy dept. just set their deadline fall to in line with the Stanford's general graduate school due date, and that the profs probably don't even realize its early—apparently they don't begin looking at the apps until January. Again, maybe that's not true. But if it is, I wish they would push the date back!

2 hours ago, jorou said:

Just hit "submit" on my Stanford application! The wait was stressing me out and I decided that nothing was going to change between now and Tuesday.

Congrats! I'm making the final edits on my writing sample this afternoon and may submit mine tonight. But I've been working on this paper for long enough, that I'll probably never know when I've really made the "last edit"...oh well.

Next up for me on Dec. 15: Georgetown, University of Chicago (philosophy), and University of Chicago (Committee on Social Thought). 

Though, I may end up just submitting my apps to those schools along with my app. for Stanford—that way, I'll get all my December anxiety out of the way. 

7 hours ago, thatsjustsemantics said:

Here's my list, just in case anyone wants to cross-check deadlines (in brackets).

2. Princeton (Dec 15)
4. MIT (Jan 2)
5. UM Ann Arbor (Jan 7)
6. Rutgers (January 11)
7. Cornell (Jan 15)
8. U Virginia (Jan 15)
9. Syracuse U. - dec 15
10. UC San Diego - Jan 4
13. Columbia jan 15

I have Jan 5th for Wisconsin, Madison. 

Also, I noticed you're applying to MIT. Have you started their application yet? 

Just now, thatsjustsemantics said:

I'll note that! As for MIT, I've started it already. I'm focusing on the four programs due soon.

Are you sending in an official score report of the GRE to MIT? The application says to upload a scanned PDF of the score report, and I don't see anywhere on the website requesting an official copy. I've emailed them but haven't received a response. It's just kind of weird because most of the other applications require the official copy from ETS. 

27 minutes ago, abisch said:

Are you sending in an official score report of the GRE to MIT? The application says to upload a scanned PDF of the score report, and I don't see anywhere on the website requesting an official copy. I've emailed them but haven't received a response. It's just kind of weird because most of the other applications require the official copy from ETS. 

I'm fairly certain all you need to do is send your GRE report to MIT (2804). I have not come across an application that asks for a scanned PDF of a score report.

Edit: I looked at the application and you're right! They do request a scanned PDF of the score report, which is just really strange. I don't know what to say. I'll probably call and ask myself sometime this week. Let me know if you get a response by e-mail as well.

Edit #2: it appears the practice is the norm at MIT. You can request a PDF from your GRE account, that is my guess. I'll do that soon!

Edited by thatsjustsemantics

21 hours ago, thatsjustsemantics said:

I'm fairly certain all you need to do is send your GRE report to MIT (2804). I have not come across an application that asks for a scanned PDF of a score report.

Edit: I looked at the application and you're right! They do request a scanned PDF of the score report, which is just really strange. I don't know what to say. I'll probably call and ask myself sometime this week. Let me know if you get a response by e-mail as well.

Edit #2: it appears the practice is the norm at MIT. You can request a PDF from your GRE account, that is my guess. I'll do that soon!

Thanks for double checking. I thought it was strange when I first saw it too. I haven't seen anything about requesting a PDF on the ETS website, so I was probably going to print my unofficial scores and scan them. I might even send an official score just in case, but it would also be nice to save the $27. 

On December 5, 2015 at 10:18:00 AM, thatsjustsemantics said:

2. Princeton (Dec 15)
4. MIT (Jan 2)
5. UM Ann Arbor (Jan 7)
6. Rutgers (January 11)
7. Cornell (Jan 15)
8. U Virginia (Jan 15)
9. Syracuse U. - dec 15
10. UC San Diego - Jan 4
13. Columbia jan 15

I'm curious why you list Syracuse's deadline as December 15th. Their website lists it as January 1st. Where did you get the December deadline from?

2 hours ago, Dialectica said:

I'm curious why you list Syracuse's deadline as December 15th. Their website lists it as January 1st. Where did you get the December deadline from?

You know... I started this list early. Their websites could have changed from last year's, so I'm really not sure. It's kind of annoying, but I'll note it at this point as well!

9 minutes ago, thatsjustsemantics said:

You know... I started this list early. Their websites could have changed from last year's, so I'm really not sure. It's kind of annoying, but I'll note it at this point as well!

I totally understand. There were a handful of programs that changed their deadlines quite late; you'd think that is important enough to change well ahead of time. Very frustrating. 

Just a note about the deadline for the University of Arizona.  The department's website states that Dec. 15 is when they start reviewing applications, but Jan. 2 is the deadline for submission.  Here is the relevant statement from the department's website:

"The application deadline is January 2.  Review of applications begins on December 15.  Early submission is encouraged."  (http://philosophy.arizona.edu/node/646)

Have people been seeing information on the online applications that would lead them to believe that the final deadline is Dec. 15? 

Another observation about deadlines for those who are applying to UNC Chapel Hill.  I've come across 3 different listed deadlines. The department's website lists Dec. 17 as the deadline for all applications; however, UNC's graduate school's admissions information page lists Dec. 15 as the recommended deadline for submissions for graduate school fellowships and Jan. 2 as the deadline for applications for entrance into the doctoral program next fall.

Here are the relevant links for this information:

http://philosophy.unc.edu/graduate/admissions-faqs/

http://gradschool.unc.edu/academics/degreeprograms/