International Education Development/Policy Applicants 2016

Vulpix

50 minutes ago, teppeice said:

I haven't heard back from TC either! (Applied to IED) It's almost 2am in China now and I have to force myself to go to sleep...

This makes me feel better that were not alone!! Maybe they're just going in little blasts for some reason. 

2 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

This makes me feel better that were not alone!! Maybe they're just going in little blasts for some reason. 

Yeah! Maybe in the order of application? I submitted mine at the end of Nov.

On another note, I just got another decision, so if HGSE does do a blast today, that will be 3 decisions in one day! :blink: (a good thing, of course!)

Edited by marature

Totally torn between Penn & HGSE.  Need to visit both.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they have their events on the same weekend.  

How big of a difference do you think there is between a "development" focus (Penn) and "policy" (HGSE)?  I'm definitely more interested in development, but it seems like you can specialize and focus it at HGSE too...

14 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Totally torn between Penn & HGSE.  Need to visit both.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they have their events on the same weekend.  

How big of a difference do you think there is between a "development" focus (Penn) and "policy" (HGSE)?  I'm definitely more interested in development, but it seems like you can specialize and focus it at HGSE too...

Hopefully the visits will help! I was very impressed with the HGSE virtual events I attended when I was researching last year. I haven't yet had an opportunity to attend a Penn virtual event, but have found info from their student blogs etc very attractive too. My impression of HGSE was that it was also very practitioner-focused, so I think you can get the 'development' (if you mean project-related skills etc) side as well. If you look at the courses, they do have things like monitoring and evaluation, project management, designing training programs... I don't remember where I got this list, somewhere on the site, but it's a sample. From my limited perspective, it's really a toss-up between the two in terms of course offerings. It would probably be other factors that differentiate them... ethos/atmosphere/faculty/living/... there is the internship thing you mentioned, but I would think most HGSE students do internships as well... something to ask about.

iep-fall-2013-course-descriptions.pdf

Edited by marature

Thanks a ton!!  I found a lot of development and practitioner (that's the word I was looking for!) focused classes at HGSE, so I'm less concerned about the "policy" thing now.  For example, I found these courses I would hypothetically be interested in, which are very similar to Penn:

Fall 

A819  Contemporary Developing Countries:  Entrepreneurial Solutions to Intractable Problems

A816  Education in Armed Conflict

A205  Microeconomics: A Policy Tool for Educators

Spring

A132  Educational Innovation and Social Entrepreneurship in Comparative Perspective

A804  Monitoring and Evaluation for Improving Education Systems

A822  Consequences of Educational Policy Interventions in Developing Countries:  Evidence from Recent Impact Evaluations (A-822)

If you are wanting to do international development work (like work at UNESCO) the best options by far are Stanford, Harvard and Penn. They have smaller cohorts and at Penn you have automatic internships at UN agencies. NYU and TC (and honestly really no other school even Stanford, Vandy and Harvard) provide that option. Harvard is definitely more economic/quantitative focused, Stanford is more academic/research, while Vandy is the most conservative and I would say least critical (based on their professors and posts). If you want to go the more academic route, Stanford, UCLA, and TC are probably the best. Further at Penn you can essentially get a full ride if you apply to the FLAS and GA-ships along with merit scholarships.

BTW TC's cohort is huge and word is it isn't what is used to be with several of their best professors having moved to other universities (Vavrus to Minnesota, Bartlett to Wisconsin-Madison). 

On March 5, 2016 at 0:44 AM, Heather1011 said:

You can also focus in Policy at Penn and you have to write a policy paper on a subject as your final project. I would say if you want to stay in the US and work at something like a World Bank, OECD, or more economic/quant focused organization then Harvard is the best option. If you want to work more in the field like at Save the Children or UNESCO (Regional offices) then Penn is probably the better option. 

22 minutes ago, no.37 said:

You can also focus in Policy at Penn and you have to write a policy paper on a subject as your final project. I would say if you want to stay in the US and work at something like a World Bank, OECD, or more economic/quant focused organization then Harvard is the best option. If you want to work more in the field like at Save the Children or UNESCO (Regional offices) then Penn is probably the better option. 

What about US based opportunities in organizations like UNESCO/Save the Children?  Do such less-quant focused jobs exist domestically?  I'm so new to this field!

1 hour ago, Heather1011 said:

What about US based opportunities in organizations like UNESCO/Save the Children?  Do such less-quant focused jobs exist domestically?  I'm so new to this field!

Honestly the possibility of you moving straight into such jobs (in the US) right after a masters program is slim, unless you know someone who works at these organizations and can get you an in. You basically either need to know someone or have lots of good job experience and a foreign language.  Save the Children is of course easier to get into than a UN organization. Though after grad school, interning w/ them and working in the field opportunities will eventually open up.

18 minutes ago, no.37 said:

Honestly the possibility of you moving straight into such jobs (in the US) right after a masters program is slim, unless you know someone who works at these organizations and can get you an in. You basically either need to know someone or have lots of good job experience and a foreign language.  Save the Children is of course easier to get into than a UN organization. Though after grad school, interning w/ them and working in the field opportunities will eventually open up.

Oh yes, I didn't mean straight away to get these jobs, I just meant in general.  Do you know what other types of smaller organizations graduates typically go towards immediately after?

Although I did not apply for an IEP Master's program this year, I am considering it for the next application season. Did most of you take time between undergrad and applying for these programs to gain related experience, or will you be going straight from undergrad to your program? I tried to get an idea from your posts, but it was difficult to determine. 

5 minutes ago, AKB_gotigers said:

Although I did not apply for an IEP Master's program this year, I am considering it for the next application season. Did most of you take time between undergrad and applying for these programs to gain related experience, or will you be going straight from undergrad to your program? I tried to get an idea from your posts, but it was difficult to determine. 

I have 3 years of work experience between undergrad and now, but it's in teaching in NYC, not related to IEP per se.  Most of my IEP experience (and the main focus of my SOP) came from undergraduate research jobs I had.

1 hour ago, AKB_gotigers said:

I took two years to work in education back home in Southeast Asia!

12 hours ago, no.37 said:

thanks, that's helpful.

10 hours ago, AKB_gotigers said:

I've got 6 years experience on the ground in sub-Saharan Africa and some other job experience (not directly related) prior to that. There are a few programs that specify they want you to have international experience, whereas for others you can apply straight from undergrad. Penn, HGSE, TC, for example, don't say that you must have work experience, tho' I'm sure it helps. At an HGSE event, the director said it's important to show in your SOP why you want to attend, demonstrate your commitment - "not just something where you woke up one morning..." I think if you can make a convincing case with whatever activities you have done already during undergrad or prior, even if they are not in a full-time capacity, that would be important. You could read the current student bios on the Web sites of a lot of the programs to get an idea of their backgrounds.

1 hour ago, marature said:

thanks, that's helpful.

I've got 6 years experience on the ground in sub-Saharan Africa and some other job experience (not directly related) prior to that. There are a few programs that specify they want you to have international experience, whereas for others you can apply straight from undergrad. Penn, HGSE, TC, for example, don't say that you must have work experience, tho' I'm sure it helps. At an HGSE event, the director said it's important to show in your SOP why you want to attend, demonstrate your commitment - "not just something where you woke up one morning..." I think if you can make a convincing case with whatever activities you have done already during undergrad or prior, even if they are not in a full-time capacity, that would be important. You could read the current student bios on the Web sites of a lot of the programs to get an idea of their backgrounds.

I agree with this.  I was very unsure I would get into HGSE without having any work experience related to international policy, or significant time living in another country (I studied abroad in Spain for a semester, but this hardly counts and I didn't even write about it).  I did however talk about my undergraduate thesis research, in which I traveled to international archives to find important documents related to the Palestinian refugee situation.  I also had experience presenting at a national conference for a Ford Foundation project on multicultural education.  All of this was based in the US, but had a decidedly international flavor to it, so I think this (and my high GRE writing score) tipped the scale in my favor.  

Thank you all so much for your input! I didn't think it was reasonable to go right into an IEP program, but it can feel like you are being left behind if you don't go straight to grad school. I'm hoping to be a finalist for an ETA position through the Fulbright program in order to get started with more in-depth experience that would be relevant to IEP. Thanks again for your wisdom @heather1011 @marature @betweenthepages

8 hours ago, AKB_gotigers said:

Thank you all so much for your input! I didn't think it was reasonable to go right into an IEP program, but it can feel like you are being left behind if you don't go straight to grad school. I'm hoping to be a finalist for an ETA position through the Fulbright program in order to get started with more in-depth experience that would be relevant to IEP. Thanks again for your wisdom @heather1011 @marature @betweenthepages

sounds good! I was going to say I think you would definitely get more out of the IEP or similar programs after you have some 'real-world experience' because you would have a better idea of your interests and questions. on the other hand, I wouldn't send someone out to the field with no training, so it's a good idea to start out with something you know first and go from there. I hope they give you some kind of cross-cultural training/orientation, that's pretty important.

On March 9, 2016 at 10:05 PM, Heather1011 said:

I have 3 years of work experience between undergrad and now, but it's in teaching in NYC, not related to IEP per se.  Most of my IEP experience (and the main focus of my SOP) came from undergraduate research jobs I had.

I know Penn's IEDP website has a list of organizations past students have and currently work for. Its a pretty impressive list. I don't know if other programs have such a list on their websites. 

1 hour ago, no.37 said:

I know Penn's IEDP website has a list of organizations past students have and currently work for. Its a pretty impressive list. I don't know if other programs have such a list on their websites. 

HGSE at TC have the same list, with virtually the same orgs, lol.

1 hour ago, Heather1011 said:

HGSE at TC have the same list, with virtually the same orgs, lol.

Honestly, I would steer clear of TC. TC has a great history, but they have a huge program and it sounds as though its difficult forming relationships with the staff and fellow classmates. Really the most important thing regarding international development work is the network, particularly forming relationships with staff and your cohort. It is likely you will get your first interview and job through such means, not by writing a spectacular thesis or doing particularly good graduate work. 

4 hours ago, no.37 said:

Honestly, I would steer clear of TC. TC has a great history, but they have a huge program and it sounds as though its difficult forming relationships with the staff and fellow classmates. Really the most important thing regarding international development work is the network, particularly forming relationships with staff and your cohort. It is likely you will get your first interview and job through such means, not by writing a spectacular thesis or doing particularly good graduate work. 

Thanks.  I've heard this from many people, and have already eliminated TC as a possibility, even if I get a scholarship.  Still choosing between Penn and HGSE.

Hi, I am newie here. I have applied Upenn GSE, Vandy Peabody, Columbia TC, NYU Steinhardt, GWU IED programs. I received NYU offer with $5000 study abroad scholarship and GWU admission letter. I would like to concentrate on International Education development. I want to ask some advice from IED fellows about which one I'd better accept and I want to acquaint with some admitted students or alumni in NYU IED. 

1 hour ago, Susan Du said:

Hi, I am newie here. I have applied Upenn GSE, Vandy Peabody, Columbia TC, NYU Steinhardt, GWU IED programs. I received NYU offer with $5000 study abroad scholarship and GWU admission letter. I would like to concentrate on International Education development. I want to ask some advice from IED fellows about which one I'd better accept and I want to acquaint with some admitted students or alumni in NYU IED. 

I think it really depends on what you are looking for - your objectives and what you want to do after  - and your prior background and experience. 1 year vs 2 years, theory/research vs practice, policy wonk vs development worker... regional/geographical/thematic interests... 

That said, Penn looks really great if you have some experience, you're interested in practice/development and can handle the intense 1-1.5 yr program. The 2 year programs might be better to provide a good foundation if you don't have much experience or are more interested in policy/research. But you have to see what is a good fit for YOU.

Edited by marature

32 minutes ago, marature said:

I think it really depends on what you are looking for - your objectives and what you want to do after  - and your prior background and experience. 1 year vs 2 years, theory/research vs practice, policy wonk vs development worker... regional/geographical/thematic interests... 

That said, Penn looks really great if you have some experience, you're interested in practice/development and can handle the intense 1-1.5 yr program. The 2 year programs might be better to provide a good foundation if you don't have much experience or are more interested in policy/research. But you have to see what is a good fit for YOU.

Thank you very much! Your answer helped me a lot . Actually the final choice is totally up to myself. But I am afraid I ignore some objective information or some important respective advantages. So I need some practical experience and suggestions from alumni whose experience and views would make up for my identity as a "pupil" as an IED student.